Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cory H. & Scary Pockets: "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"

This is a glorious cover of this great tune. I'm not usually a Scary P's fan, but damn. Also, I didn't know you could play for Snarky Puppy AND Scary Pockets, I thought you had to choose one or the other, like shirts or skins.

Anyhow, I like the Stevie Wonder moments here. I think it's a little back-heavy in the arrangement and could have made the same point two minutes shorter. But there are some great Henry organ comments in those last two minutes, so it balances out.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary Pockets has developed conventions for their large library of YT videos. I like those videos, but am so glad they wisely threw their playbook out the window for this video and instead let CH do his thing. This video is much longer and more improvisational. SP has had great guests in their videos -- even a guy like Ben Folds stuck to their template. But Cory Henry, man, he does his thing here!

I like the "Oops upside your head" quote/interpolation towards the end - very creative.

Overall it's a great example of how to cover a song and breathe new life and meaning to it. So often I hear a straight-ahead pop song covered by a guy or girl whispering with an acoustic guitar, and I don't get any new insight or inspiration.

Cheers, Mike.

I'm not a C.H. fan, and I 'm pretty sure I'll never be... Without saying what I actually feel about this much: there's very little of interest there apart from some clear rips, one instrument control thing, a very singular, annoyingly long ever the same production trick and some mild drumming skills on a digital recording which like so many is so free of life and breathing it's scary.

I like Stevie Wonder and his music, so it's not that, bit why this is supposed to be the highest version of "soul" with some christian connotation people could find offensive is unclear to me unless it's between boy's choir members or maybe in a monastery.

Musically theoretically, or "session-wise" I wonder what was on the prep sheets 4/4 ||: some A- vamp ;|| sole here and there, it can't have been much more than that...

T