Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

On That Theory Disconnect

So I told this joke to the soul-dance band (guitarist, bassist, trumpet, sax, drums, and singer):

"Gee, things are sort of messed up in the world right now. If only they would follow the G7 Summit with a C Major Summit, that would resolve everything."

Now I myself thought the joke was cute and even a bit funny. No one else in the band got it.

It can be lonely being the keyboard player.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good joke. I'm surprised that nobody in the band got it.

I'm not at all surprised...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

So I told this joke to the soul-dance band (guitarist, bassist, trumpet, sax, drums, and singer):

"Gee, things are sort of messed up in the world right now. If only they would follow the G7 Summit with a C Major Summit, that would resolve everything."

Now I myself thought the joke was cute and even a bit funny. No one else in the band got it.

A major difficulty in telling a joke like this is that the humor could B diminished by the D livery. C what I mean?

Play it with a groove, and say it with flair and maybe...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

That's because you forgot the element of suspense before the resolution.

Yes being a keyboard player can be lonely.

That's because you forgot the element of suspense before the resolution.

Yes being a keyboard player can be lonely.

So there should be a sustained G7 summit before the C Major summit?

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

I hope you don't have that joke copyrighted, because I hope to get some mileage out of it.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I can't speak for the other band members, but drummers come by it naturally. You did know that DRUM is an acronym, right?

Don't Really Understand Music...

In one of my regular bands, the drummer is the most astute music theoretician in the van. We've spent *hours* discussing different approaches to explaining and teaching various concepts. Drives everybody else in the van *insane*. We're just having a great time, and learn a lot.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Thanks. Just relayed the G7/C one to my wife (we both took music theory), and she got a kick out of it. She really got a kick out of the one about DRUM being an acronym.

My son in law is a drummer. However, he is also a trumpet player, and has an excellent command of theory.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I'm not at all surprised...

Really? I am. It's beyond me how anyone could play bass or guitar in a band without knowing that. It's V7 - I in no sharps or flats for christsake. Not exactly Giant Steps.

It's beyond me how anyone could play bass or guitar in a band without knowing that. It's V7 - I in no sharps or flats for christsake. Not exactly Giant Steps.
Really. Made me laff.

... there's a good chance they have no idea what a "G7 summit" means.
Musicians not knowing what a G7 summit means is a better explanation than musicians not knowing that G7 resolves to C.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.