Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for a Lightweight Performance Piano

So it's been a while, but starting to gig again. Joining an Eric Clapton Tribute Band and I need a good lightweight digital piano to partner with my Mojo 61. At 65 I need it under 40lbs. Also looking for great sound (on my 4th hand surgery) and a good action (not too heavy like some of the Yamaha's I've been researching). Would also like good Rhodes and Wurlie sounds. Any suggestions?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For light travel weight piano/EP board with hammer action, I'd probably go with a Casio PX-5S (2nd Casio choice PX-560) or Kurzweil PC4 (2nd Kurzweil choice SP6). Yamaha CP73 meets the specs, but personally, I just couldn't connect with its action... that can be very subjective, though. (I enjoyed playing the CP88, but it tops 40 lbs, plus it might be one of the ones whose action you think is too heavy. Also getting close to 40 lbs, the Korg SV2 is nice--I haven't played the Grandstage--but you might be happier staying further away from that 40 lb point.) Kawai ES520 and the 73 key version of the Nord Piano 5 might be other possibilities, which I haven't played.

If you might consider a non-hammer action, you can get the weight way down, and still have a nice sounding, nice playing piano/EP board in a Vox Continental 73 or a Kurzweil PC4-7 (2nd Kurzweil choice SP6-7). ETA: Or maybe the Dexibell S1 that I forgot about but just saw mentioned.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

A yamaha YC61 fits all those requirements, but it overlaps a lot of the Mojo 61. Doesn't the Mojo have pretty good rhodes and wurli patches?

A korg SV-2 or Grandstage 73 key would also work.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

A yamaha YC61 fits all those requirements
I thought of that as another possibility in the non-hammer category, but I kind of assumed a preference for more than 61 keys for a piano-focussed board.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

So it's been a while, but starting to gig again. Joining an Eric Clapton Tribute Band and I need a good lightweight digital piano to partner with my Mojo 61. At 65 I need it under 40lbs. Also looking for great sound (on my 4th hand surgery) and a good action (not too heavy like some of the Yamaha's I've been researching). Would also like good Rhodes and Wurlie sounds. Any suggestions?

When I had my Mojo61, I was looking for a second board â but semi-weighted. For a while used a Kurzweil SP-4 â a pretty good pairing. But I found the Kurzweil's pianos/epianos to be lacking and instead went with the lower manual for the Mojo61, and MIDI'd it up to an iPad + app-du-jour. Then you get the dual manual Hammond if you like, with the advantage of a connected, lightweight 2nd manual for everything else that you can play as a dual-timbral Mojo. And in my opinion, better pianos and epianos than are on the Mojo. YMMV.

Here for the gear.

i played in an EC tribute right before covid. got by with my gemini module and my PC3 triggering it. the only difference between the Gemini and the Mojo is that the acoustic piano is better on the Gemini. If you can get by with the acoustic piano inside the Mojo then consider a MIDI controller to trigger it. Midi controllers are much lighter and much less expensive.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I thought of that as another possibility in the non-hammer category, but I kind of assumed a preference for more than 61 keys for a piano-focussed board.

Given that the limit is 40 lbs, the other YC sizes also work.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

I've been using a Casio PX160 as a piano, underneath a Hammond SK1. They recently discontinued the 160, so they can picked up for bargain prices.

They're inexpensive, light (25lbs), sound really good, and have a better action that you would expect. Really good piano sounds, good Rhodes, a pretty cool wurlie, etc.

It's fairly limited in that it has no expression pedal jack, or MIDI plugs (USB only), but as just a basic lightweight piano, it ticks all the boxes.

I used it on a session not long ago, and was surprised how well it sounded & recorded.

JMHO...

I would highly recommend Casio PX-5S. Around 24 lbs (I think). It has been my work horse for years and there is also a great community around it with sounds you can download and use. The stock sounds are great but the forum has some very nice Rhodes sounds (better than some of the built in). The Wurli's are good with some distorted sounds if you want it grungy.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

When I had my Mojo61, I was looking for a second board â but semi-weighted. For a while used a Kurzweil SP-4 â a pretty good pairing. But I found the Kurzweil's pianos/epianos to be lacking
SP4-7 was a nice board... super compact for a 76. But yeah, the pianos/EPs of the newer models are better.

and instead went with the lower manual for the Mojo61, and MIDI'd it up to an iPad + app-du-jour...in my opinion, better pianos and epianos than are on the Mojo.
Considering that the Mojo EPs are well regarded, I'm curious, which iPad apps had the EP sounds you preferred?

Given that the limit is 40 lbs, the other YC sizes also work.

Yes... in fact, I mentioned the sibling CP in my response. For the Piano/EP task at hand, I'd take the CP over the YC... more piano sounds (and there's no need for the organ part under the Mojo).

When I had my Mojo61, I was looking for a second board â but semi-weighted. For a while used a Kurzweil SP-4 â a pretty good pairing. But I found the Kurzweil's pianos/epianos to be lacking
SP4-7 was a nice board... super compact for a 76. But yeah, the pianos/EPs of the newer models are better.

and instead went with the lower manual for the Mojo61, and MIDI'd it up to an iPad + app-du-jour...in my opinion, better pianos and epianos than are on the Mojo.
Considering that the Mojo EPs are well regarded, I'm curious, which iPad apps had the EP sounds you preferred?

I preferred Neo Soul's EPs, but I'd probably go with VTines iOS now... but for a one-stop shop on that Mojo setup I'd be tempted to just use Module. Very good American D, Scarbee & Wurlitzer.

Speaking of Kurzweil then, what about the SP6-7 as the lightweight performance piano?

Here for the gear.

I'd recommend the Casio Privia PX-S1000, very light weight & excellent AP sound / action. It's limited but for the price hard to beat and it can run on batteries... I have one in my office (I'm the MD at my church) and love it.
You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

I just picked up a second Casio CDP-100 off local Craigslist for $300 with a stand. I like these older Casio weighted boards because they are inexpensive and have DIN MIDI outputs. I use the Casio to drive an Alesis Nano Piano via MIDI to "boost" the quality of the piano sounds to what I consider "good enough" for my needs. I picked up a couple of Nano Piano's and a Nano Synth over the years for just north of $100 each, they come up for sale from time to time. I'm no professional musician, but honestly this is a very light weight and reliable piano solution IMHO.

Lou

Speaking of Kurzweil then, what about the SP6-7 as the lightweight performance piano?

I'd also put in a good recommendation for Korg Grandstage 73 â seems as though it ticks all the boxes for a Clapton style gig â and I've said before, the action suits me more than any other hammer out there.

Here for the gear.

I'd recommend the Casio Privia PX-S1000, very light weight & excellent AP sound / action. It's limited but for the price hard to beat and it can run on batteries...

Seconded.

I haven't paid much attention to the new PX-S/CDP-S models because of the lack of a MIDI jack. But if that's not needed... How do the piano, Rhodes, and Wurli sounds compare to those in (or downloadable into) the PX-5S?

Kawai ES110 is the most pianistic at 26 lbs.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Yes, just for piano and EP, the ES110 is a contender, and you do get the regular MIDI jacks. Good addition to the list,

I would rather play an ES110 than a Roland 2000 or a Yamaha 515 any day. I'm very familiar with the Casios, owned them all, and got rid of them all.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

All highly subjective, but I find Korg's actions a little heavy. Kawai is light and expressive, and I find the older Casios highly acceptable (I haven't tried the PX-S or CDP-S actions).

At the risk of starting a war... Nord Piano 5, 34lb for the 73. I like the TP40 action in my Stage 2. Much higher price point than Kawai ES110 or the Casios, of course. But you get an internal power supply and more rugged build.

Cheers, Mike.

I got the Viscount Legend 70"s about a month ago, and I love it.

How cheap is cheap ?

I bought the Compact EX, 73 keys are enough for me, and even with the start model, you are covered with the basic sounds you need. Around 35 lbs (16 kg) if I have done my maths correct

I have been a love/hate relationship with everything from Wurlitzer, Rhodes, CP70 and upwards through the clones. The last 20 year or so, my main instrument have been the Hammond organ with some kind of piano multi clone on top, but discovered how much I have missed piano playing, and have spent a lot of time with this board.

And with the optional legs, you have a nice retro looking rig as well.

Chuck the pianoman just released a video where he compare the 70"s and the Roland RD 88. This however is the Legend W model, their top model, but the sound are the same in the Compact, and the keys is the Fatar TP100 with triple sensor in the Compact. They work just fine for my need.

[video:youtube]

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Still very happy with my MODX8 â as long as you can live with a non-graded action (which isn't too heavy btw), I'd definitely put it on your list. And you might be able to get a decent used example now, as it's been around for a while.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Still very happy with my MODX8 â as long as you can live with a non-graded action (which isn't too heavy btw), I'd definitely put it on your list. And you might be able to get a decent used example now, as it's been around for a while.

+1

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I'd recommend the Casio Privia PX-S1000, very light weight & excellent AP sound / action. It's limited but for the price hard to beat and it can run on batteries...

Seconded.

dB

Thirded

And if you want to bring it to another level add a Dexibell Vivo SX7 sound module. The pianos are fantastic! Also a keyboard with only a USB midi port, like the PX-S1000, can be connected directly (i.e, not computer needed).

For my Clapton band I use a Nord Electro 6 over a Vox Continental 73. The Nord covers organ, and the Vox does piano (Grandstage sounds), EPs and some synth.

And if any issues arise, each board can cover the other more than adequately.

I"ll note that weight is a big issue for me, hence no hammer action.

Definitely outside of the recommendations presented here, but if you can find a used Nord Piano 4, consider it. Yes, pricey. And the Kawaii does have a better action. It sucks at organ and synth.

That being said, it's really fun to play all night, especially with electric rock/blues, and I can get an amazing array of useful tone colors: acoustic pianos, digital pianos, electric pianos etc. + all sorts of useful single layer samples to pair them with. If you've ever sat down with one, you'll know it's very player-centric with all sorts of useful knobs vs menus.

Paired with a Mojo, you're talking about a top-shelf rig that's only light in the synth department (not needed for Clapton tribute). The pianos can cut nicely through guitars and drums with a little tweaking and layering. It rolls around in a nice case like a golf bag, and with a moment of forethought, is not hard to get on or off the stand.

I did a gig with mine last night, and I remember thinking "if this thing ever breaks, I'm going to want another".

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I am a little surprised that no one has mentioned the Crumar 7... any comments and opinions? The weight puts me off as its over 50lbs with stand and cover.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D