Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Well, I'm afraid the guitar went back the next day.

If nothing else, thanks for adding this post to the tread count so my page doesn"t open with that huge red guitar!

Here for the gear.

Boss Katana 50 Combo Mk II with cover is on it's way here. I sold the Katana 100 Combo, more power and features than I needed and 7 pound heavier, plus larger. That more than paid for the 50.
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

korg wavestate, from the you-tube videos I have been listening to I'm really impressed with the sound. just bought the waldorf blofeld and the hydrasynth but this should be quite different sounding

I just got a package from Sweeter a few minutes ago: a Shure PGA 52 kickdrum mic and two AKG P170 small-diaphragm condenser mics (and some mic stands). With those and the Shure SM57 I already have, I'll finally be able to do a decent job of recording my wife playing her drum set, as per John Glyn. :)

Matt Bell's preset pack for electric violinists who use Line 6 Helix products. Matt is a professional rock violinist who works at Electric Violin Shop which has a great relationship with Yamaha Guitar Group ( Yamaha, Line 6, Ampeg ). I've been dialing up FX settings for my electric violins, with mixed results - some sounds are too aggressive/harsh, some are not cutting/aggressive enough, Matt's presets will reduce the guesswork that goes into tweaking guitar gear to sound good with electric violins, which require different EQ settings and the like compared to guitar.

[video:youtube]

I got a 20% off coupon and used it to get a Line 6 HX Stomp XL to use Matt's presets, and eventually my own tweaks to those presets.

My bandmates live in a place where I have to park about 10 blocks away, then carry my pedalboard, violin, etc. to their place. The HX Stomp XL pretty much has all the sounds I use with the band, but weighs a lot less than the pedalboard. Also, it has a lot more preset storage than my pedalboard, which mostly has pedals that don't have presets - much handier for running through set lists with the band. I'll need to exercise some discipline to avoid frittering away extra hours trying all the different amp and cabinet models.

I may also try running synths like my Behringer Pro-1 or Korg Monologue through it - got the idea upon noticing the factory presets include a selection of "keyboard" presets.

Well, I'm afraid the guitar went back the next day. I was never more than a mediocre player, and a break of a decade and a half has not been kind to my limited six-string skills.

However, this is on the way...

yamaha-p515-digital-piano.jpg

Would seriously like to hear your comparison of the P515 to the CP4 if you are so inclined.

Well, I'm afraid the guitar went back the next day. I was never more than a mediocre player, and a break of a decade and a half has not been kind to my limited six-string skills.

However, this is on the way...

yamaha-p515-digital-piano.jpg

I was seriously toying with the idea of an Avant Grand but decided I couldn't really justify the money right now. This will finally replace my now ancient and rather battered CP4. The 515 probably won't be leaving the studio, so I bought the furniture stand and pedals so it looks cool on videos, and the SW100 subwoofer so I can play it without firing up the rest of the studio.

I bought one of those, also with the furniture stand and pedals. I hope you"ll enjoy it as much as I do!

Current mic collection. :)

mics.jpg

You can get a lot done with those. Take your time, getting the drums right is part of the story and mic positioning is another part. The last part is the sound of the room, do you like it?

We'e got a mic thread going in Dr. Mike's forum about recording, feel free to join in if you are so inclined.

Would seriously like to hear your comparison of the P515 to the CP4 if you are so inclined.

I'll probably post a proper brief review separately. Unfortunately, the example which arrived here yesterday has a broken F#5 â the key can be moved laterally like a switch, which is obviously not good. However, the supplier is arranging a swap-out as I write this.

However, what I can briefly say, as a long-time CP4 user:

* The action on the P515 is appreciably heavier than the CP4. If you tend to shy away from heavy actions, this is definitely not the piano for you. At the end of the first hour playing the P515, I did wonder whether I had made the right choice, as my hands were aching somewhat. However, I remember I had a similar scare when I got my first CP4, trading it in briefly for a CP40 because of the weight of the action. However, perseverance proved the key there, and seems to be doing so again. Today, my hands feel in much better shape after playing the P515.

* The pay-off of the heavier action is that I find I can play more expressively on the P515, with everything from real pianissimos to thundering triple fortes easy to achieve. This is a piano you can really make sing!

* The built-in speakers are remarkably good on their own, and somehow achieve the astonishing effect of putting the piano in front of you rather than just coming out vertically from the drivers. Sounds even better with a bit into the studio monitors as well!

HTH.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• 2 weeks later...
Just a couple things for my new Kronos. A Korg expression pedal and a Nekar sustain pedal. Got the Nekar because shipping is screwed up and they aren't sure when Korg half-damper pedals will actually show up.

I'm using a Studiologic VFP2 with my Kronos â I like to use soft-pedal and repurpose it for other things in MIDI. Also the wider footprint keeps the pedals in place.

Here for the gear.

Just a couple things for my new Kronos. A Korg expression pedal and a Nekar sustain pedal. Got the Nekar because shipping is screwed up and they aren't sure when Korg half-damper pedals will actually show up.

I'm using a Studiologic VFP2 with my Kronos â I like to use soft-pedal and repurpose it for other things in MIDI. Also the wider footprint keeps the pedals in place.

Thanks I'll check that out. I have a StudioLogic SL88Grand so it would be good for that too. I eventually want to get Korg pedal that does half damper, but for now the $18 Nekar will do me well.

Walked into Goodwill and there was a Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 20 V2 guitar amp in nearly new condition with all the stickers and the corner placard for $7.99. Another Goodwill tag said "no power supply".

I took the gamble, bought the amp and ordered a power supply for it. I'm in for around $20 total.

It's a nice little amp - 10 watts a side into 2 5" speakers with "wide stereo" sound. 10 pounds or so. I'll keep it for now.

Walked into Goodwill and there was a Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 20 V2 guitar amp in nearly new condition with all the stickers and the corner placard for $7.99. Another Goodwill tag said "no power supply".

I took the gamble, bought the amp and ordered a power supply for it. I'm in for around $20 total.

It's a nice little amp - 10 watts a side into 2 5" speakers with "wide stereo" sound. 10 pounds or so. I'll keep it for now.

A drummer friend used to hit all the Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift shops because he used to do drum and furniture refinishing to make some side money. He went to a look I believe Goodwill that had a lot they thought wasn't worth much stuff outside just fenced in. Poking around he see this tweed looking thing. He digs it out and it's and old Fender tweed Deluxe. He asks what they want and they said it doesn't work so $30. He's a drummer so didn't know what to look for, but knew it had to be worth more than $30 to someone. He buys it and calls and says come check it out. Looking at the amp it doesn't work because the fuse and fuse cap is gone. So take it to a local luthier who has lots of old parts for guitars and amps. He had an old fuse cap and fuses and charge my drummer buddy about $10 for the parts, they put them in and the amp fires up and sounds great. Being a drummer he had no use for old amp so a couple days later he takes the amp to Guitar Center in Hollywood to the vintage room and asks what they give him for it. They gave him $2000 without batting and eye. So scrounging thru thrift shops can sometimes be very profitable.

korg wavestate. I saw something on youtube when a guy commented on how his wavestate could be used to score an entire film. since I have several synths covering bread and butter sounds this synth is totally different than anything I own. I thought my hydrasynth or my waldorf blofeld was totally different from my other synths, which they are, but the wavestate is in just another world of it's own. an unbelievable synth.

A drummer friend used to hit all the Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift shops because he used to do drum and furniture refinishing to make some side money. He went to a look I believe Goodwill that had a lot they thought wasn't worth much stuff outside just fenced in. Poking around he see this tweed looking thing. He digs it out and it's and old Fender tweed Deluxe. He asks what they want and they said it doesn't work so $30. He's a drummer so didn't know what to look for, but knew it had to be worth more than $30 to someone. He buys it and calls and says come check it out. Looking at the amp it doesn't work because the fuse and fuse cap is gone. So take it to a local luthier who has lots of old parts for guitars and amps. He had an old fuse cap and fuses and charge my drummer buddy about $10 for the parts, they put them in and the amp fires up and sounds great. Being a drummer he had no use for old amp so a couple days later he takes the amp to Guitar Center in Hollywood to the vintage room and asks what they give him for it. They gave him $2000 without batting and eye. So scrounging thru thrift shops can sometimes be very profitable.

Nice! Yes thrift store "scrounging" has been a positive thing in my life. Most "flips" are not huge but they add up. Once in a while... I bought a Gurian guitar at Salvation Army in Fresno for $65, it needed some repairs but still fetched $1,300 as-is on eBay. A couple of years back I bought a vintage flamed koa ukulele at Goodwill for $5, that also needed repairs and sold for $500 as-is.

It's out there, right under our noses. You just need to look. Seek and you will find. Cheers, Kuru

My 2 latest purchases:

1. A Nord Electro 6 73HP joins my Sledge in adding color to my studio.

bv4ISKf.jpg

2. Artiphon Orba, fun, affordable, go anywhere.

AbjtrLv.jpg

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

Four of these for my Yamaha S70XS, one to replace the one that turned up missing at the end of Saturday night's show, and three spares.

4421-Lg.jpg.pagespeed.ce.HHVdFk1SqP.jpg

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Bought the (unpowered) Kemper Profiler Rack in 2016, to play with headphones because my journalist wife works at home. Mounted it in a custom-built case just for fun (I didn't like the look of the Eurotoaster). Recently Kemper came out with the Kemper Powered Kabinet, which sounds amazing from whisper quiet all the way to gig volume:

KHTWdo9.jpg