Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Living with the Yamaha P515

After several previously unheard of years of stasis in my gear list, I finally replaced my CP4, after it developed velocity sensor problems. I could, of course, have gone for a straight repair, but after many years of gigging, the old girl was a bit battered and bruised too. I decided it was finally time to retire her.

I decided to buy something which would essentially be my studio piano, so for once weight was not a consideration. I seriously considered the Kawai MP11SE, but I'm really a Yamaha guy when it comes to pianos. I briefly flirted with the N1x Avant Grand but decided I couldn't drop that sort of money at the moment. I also considered the CP88, but was really attracted by something that would also be a handsome piece of furniture and could be turned on and played independently of anything else in the studio. That led me to the P515, which I purchased along with the furniture stand and three-pedal unit. After a slightly false start (the first unit shipped to me had a broken F#4), we are slowly getting properly acquainted.

Firstly, let's talk about the action. It's probably the heaviest I've come across in a DP and, the first couple of days I had the first example, I really wondered whether I was going to like it. My hands ached slightly after playing, but I remembered having a similar scare with the CP4 when I first bought it. Long story short, I've become more than used to it and my hands are fine. YMMV, of course. I do wish it were a little lighter around the octave below middle C, to be honest. The good news is that this makes it a piano which is easy to dig in on the action and make it sing, and the default velocity curve straight out of the box is much improved on the CP4, which I always had to tweak to get proper pianissimo out of.

The quality of the speaker system is surprisingly good. As this is still essentially a 'slab' piano, I didn't have great hopes of this but it's very acceptable as a free-standing instrument, with plenty of volume and no audible distortion even at the top end of the slider range. Of course, it's even better with a little bit fed into my studio monitors. What is quite remarkable is how the speakers seem to put you 'in front' of the piano, almost like you could reach out and touch something about 18in behind you. I presume this is to do with the 'VRM' acoustic modelling technology.

The CFX sample is head and shoulders above the CP4, with a genuinely thunderous bottom end, especially when the 'Piano Room' software 'lid' is 'fully open'. Most of the time, I prefer the lid half-closed to contain it slightly. I was initially underwhelmed by the Bosendorfer, but having again used the Piano Room feature to brighten it slightly, this is another great option for more ambient or reflective piano work. The 'Studio Grand' (not sure what the equivalent physical model is here) is useful for when you want a smaller, less bass-heavy instrument to work with.

The rest of the voices are pretty underwhelming â the Rhodes and Wurli are both useable, but I have better options for both of those in my MODX8 â but I really bought this purely as a piano. The stand and pedal accessories are both solid and easy to put together. It may not win any design awards but the overall aesthetic is pleasing enough...

http://www.goldstraw.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/piano-small.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with the new acquisition. I find myself returning to play it again and again, just for the sheer joy of doing so. On that basis alone, it 'passes the test'.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review, Aidan. Don't you also have a P121? How does it compare to the P515? I realize they are different price points but they're part of the same product line, correct? I don't need you to tell me how the specs differ. More curious about any stark similarities or differences you noticed between them.

Thank you for the review, Aidan. I have yet to get my hands on a P515, but am planning to play one next time I'm out at Sweetwater. I did play its predecessor - the P255 - for a church gig, back in 2017.

I had a CP4 for a few years, and have just come back to Yamaha for a dedicated 'stage 88'. Though I've had a MODX8 in my teaching/writing workspace for a while, I tried a few different brands for live, digital piano tones since parting ways with the CP4. I just sold the most recent one and purchased a YC88. While it's purposed differently than the P515, I've found many playing similarities in the piano section to what you described in your review. And the drawbar organ, additional keyboard tones and FX sections are great for my band work. That CFX sample is such a versatile and expressive resource; I'm also finding the C7 and Nashville C3 to be inspiring and useful as well.

The built-in speakers you have on the P515 are a strong convenience - which I'll miss for the occasional solo piano job. Did have those on a recently sold RD88, but am finding the display and control layout much more comfortable. So the trade-off is worth it.

Looking forward to seeing some video posts of you playing the new piano!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thanks for your hands-on review, Aidan.

I had a CP4 for a few years, and moved on from it, but did play a 515 in the store. I thought the action was the best I'd played on a Yamaha, better than the CP4, but still too heavy for me â I have problems with thumb arthritis, painfully split fingertips and cracked nails from most weighted actions, and have found the Korg RH3 to be easier on me.

Sound-wise, the piano is the best yet, and I agree with your assessment of the EP sounds. What's with Yamaha? They CAN include their best sounds, but fail to use them across even their higher-end models.

Boggles the mind.

Here for the gear.

Yes, Yamaha actually provide cable guides for tidying that up, will post a newer picture when I get chance.

Aidan, I have one of these also. My opinions about it are pretty much identical to yours! And yes, the speakers are a huge plus. Sometimes when I"m working on something completely unrelated to music, I"ll just spin around in my chair and play for a couple of minutes. Nice way to take a mini break :)

I just sold the most recent one and purchased a YC88.

So that's what you settled on! Nice board. I haven't played it, but I played a CP88 which I really enjoyed (and which I may well have purchased if it didn't break my 30 lb rule!), and I've played the YC61, which I also liked (though not my organ board of choice). I remember we've talked before about other hammer action alternatives to your RD88... Casio PX560, Kurzweil SP6/PC4... In going with the YC88, you did give up on any kind of deep editing which I know was of some interest, but it is probably the most enjoyable to play of the bunch strictly as a piano, and I'd say its organ is the best of the bunch as well. Are you intending to use this primarily as an "only" board (as opposed to as part of a pair)?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Head and shoulders above the CP4 is a tall tall order as I do love the CP4. I wonder if you ABed the samples through a pair of PA speakers (which is my common set up on Solo Piano gigs and I think the CP4 sounds fantastic through) if you'd notice that much of a difference. I think the built in speakers are a great addition to this board though. There are so many times when that would be a very desirable option.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Bobby, for that situation the CP4 is undoubtedly going to be your best bet, as the 515 has no mono samples for a start, which I used all the time gigging with the CP4. I presume the CP88 has a similar features so those would still be my go tos in a gig situation I think.

Great review, Aidan, and congrats on that wonderful instrument.

Heavy action, though. In the end I decided to get the Roland RD88.

Yeah, the one thing I would say is that if you don't get along with heavy actions, this is definitely not the piano for you. As I say, even I find it a little artificially heavy in the tenor range.

I just sold the most recent one and purchased a YC88.

So that's what you settled on! Nice board. I haven't played it, but I played a CP88 which I really enjoyed (and which I may well have purchased if it didn't break my 30 lb rule!), and I've played the YC61, which I also liked (though not my organ board of choice). I remember we've talked before about other hammer action alternatives to your RD88... Casio PX560, Kurzweil SP6/PC4... In going with the YC88, you did give up on any kind of deep editing which I know was of some interest, but it is probably the most enjoyable to play of the bunch strictly as a piano, and I'd say its organ is the best of the bunch as well. Are you intending to use this primarily as an "only" board (as opposed to as part of a pair)?

I'm planning to use it with my Nord Stage 3, 76 up top (for synth, etc.), so the deeper synth programming takes place on that one. However, the YC's synth section has more depth and flexibility than I initially thought. The filter and EG edits are based on templates (with on-the-fly intensity control), similar to the earlier Nord Electros. Though there is functional overlap between the YC and Stage, they complement each other well; there's an stepped-up organic quality to the sound of this rig.

This will at times be an 'only' instrument though. I can see it covering americana / old-school country and rock extremely well. For solo / acoustic stuff I will miss the built-in speakers found on Aidan's P515 and my previously-owned RD88; though having the CFX piano and new Nashville C3 more than makes up for that. I do have a QSC CP8, which is small and lightweight; and that could cover in place of built-ins, sort-of...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

One thing I would add to this discussion, as a P515 owner, is that I (and at least one other person I've come across on the internet) have a problem with the headphone section of mine, namely that, if you turn the unit on and immediately start to use it with headphones, for an initial period of time the sound through the headphone sockets gradually pans randomly from side to side/ loses volume/ disappears, making it annoying at the least/ impossible at the most to use. For some reason, I have found that if you turn the unit on and leave it for 10/15 minutes, then try with headphones, the issue has disappeared. Done extensive testing on it and don't think it is a user error (happy to be advised otherwise :-)) and the other user I mentioned on a different forum reported the same issue, which was eventually resolved by a replacement part. The unit is out of warranty and I don't have the finance or logistic means to resolve the issue, so stuck with it for the time being. Apart from that (highly annoying) bug, very happy with it in general.

and the other user I mentioned on a different forum reported the same issue, which was eventually resolved by a replacement part

So you most likely saw my video :)

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

But now hearing the CP88 recently with Mahesh --it sounded about as good as you could get out of a dp, at least in that context. But maybe the fact that I hadn't been out in so long, anything sounded good. :)

I think my CP73 pairs very well with my Motion Sound 408s (dual 8" woofers). I've been getting a lot of compliments on the combo.

and the other user I mentioned on a different forum reported the same issue, which was eventually resolved by a replacement part

Yes, it was your video/ comments I was refering to :-) I presume that your P515 is still working fine?

Yes, it was your video/ comments I was refering to :-) I presume that your P515 is still working fine?

Yes, it's perfectly fine.

Hi Aidan,

I'm more of a home hobbyist than a pro player but I managed to get twenty minutes on a P-515 in Chappells in London last year. What stood out for me was the build quality, which I thought was exceptional. I loved the smooth lines of the casing and the feel of it. A really high quality product from Yamaha. Reading the other posts, it's a shame they did not include more high quality sounds but I have to say I was highly impressed with it.

Chris

Hi Aidan,

I'm more of a home hobbyist than a pro player but I managed to get twenty minutes on a P-515 in Chappells in London last year. What stood out for me was the build quality, which I thought was exceptional. I loved the smooth lines of the casing and the feel of it. A really high quality product from Yamaha. Reading the other posts, it's a shame they did not include more high quality sounds but I have to say I was highly impressed with it.

Chris

Agreed. The main piano sound is outstanding, the rest are good. Personally, I"m not planning to take it to gigs, so that"s ok ;-)

A sales man told me the CFX is the same in both the P515 & YC88, only difference is the action. I have the YC88 & very satisfied with the feel but have never tried the P515. Is that true or just a sales pitch to reel me in?
You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

A sales man told me the CFX is the same in both the P515 & YC88, only difference is the action. I have the YC88 & very satisfied with the feel but have never tried the P515. Is that true or just a sales pitch to reel me in?

I would rather say that CP88 and YC88 should have same sounding CFX, but the P-515 sounds warmer. Check the demos from Better Music on YouTube, you can find both CP88 and P-515, not sure about YC88...

The P515 has VRM (Virtual Resonance Modeling) and a binaurally sampled version, the CP/YC do not. So there is at least that much difference. The P515 specs also mention smooth release and key-off samples... I have not seen those mentioned in the context of the CP/YC, I'm not sure whether those things are present or not, so those are other possible differences, maybe someone can confirm one way or the other on those.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 5 weeks later...
Many of the P-series models seem to be low inventory or out of stock. The likely explanation is the same global supply chain issues affecting everything else. But I'm secretly hoping the explanation is that Yamaha will soon be announcing new P-series models. That product line seems to be refreshed every three years, and last refresh was 2018.