Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

• 2 weeks later...

I needed to replace the front panel on my HX3 Expander module. Since the knob seemed to be a sloppy fit onto its shaft I glued it on. Now the knob rotates for changing parameter values but won't move in/out for saving :cry:

I have to save using the remote software and computer.

Fortunately this isn't often required.

Yes I am an idiot. That is all :crazy:

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

Just recently posted my CV settings in a separate post and ran across this thread.

I wrestled with the HX3 CV for several years.It seems most of the parameters seem to only a crew things up and there isn't a good default for this even if you do factory reset

What I came up with works pretty well. I will repeat what I came up with on this thread if anyone is interested.

Right now am also liking the Leslie SIM over other clones. HX3 to me is capable of more clarity than most...althogh for some reason third harmonic percussion seems to taper off a bit much in upper register....

I also have Mojo module and it has its merits...CV a bit harder to screw up! I probably prefer HX3 Leslie SIM to Mojo. Too much character in Mojo and can't seem to get it out.

Yes...this is actually 4.22

I never made it to 4.25....

I don't have a computer currently and

dont even know how I would get to 4.

25.... At this point.

As far as I know there is no HX3 service in the U.S. at this time

Anyway now I have access to a computer and feel like talking about this.

Yes I finally did come to terms with the HX3 4.22 CV. I posted my settings

in a separate thread...once again am technically limited and cannot even remember how the 4.25 upgrade was supposed to be done.

For a long time I did not think that the HX3 was capable of good chorus vibrato and bugged Christian and a few other people about this.Definitely the default settings were not giving me good results.

One huge key to getting it to work was changing the percussion setting. I like slow decay a lot but that turned out to be a big part of what was not right.

Percussion decay slow third is now set at 7. It's pretty slow...but blends in the way a real Hammond does with 888000000. Tony Moinaco has been using this a lot. It's almost the paradise no decay effect but not quite.

So now I am hearing what HX3 is about. There are subtle harmonics in the sound...a nice clarity. There is sizzle in it ....best I can describe.

I also have the Mojo module and have not had to monkey with it so much. The CV on the Mojo is right there and a nice effect is to back off the line box blend a little. HX3 has this too.

I do prefer the HX3 leslie sim to the Mojo. The Mojo is just too intense with its cabinet simulation etc. The HX3 sim gets me closer to the pure Hammond tone though for some reason the percussion seems to fade a bit in the upper octave. It doesn't seem to do this with CV on.

The way I have it now I kind of don't want to mess with it though as Christian states above he feels the 3.5 is better. But its a bit spendy to switch etc. For now I will work with this.

Getting to this setting took several years. In my opinion a lot of parameters for CV on the HX3 just screw it up. If you have the older version check what I came up with...its in a separate HX3 post.

Apologies to Christian... but this was very frustrating but now...quite satisfying actually.

Thank you for the link to my CV settings

CV kind of a go to thing for me

.Most of the time I don't use.leslie SIM for

or practice...gigging yes.

Most sims have their weaknesses

..HX3 included though it's better than most

LX88, you wrote you are still on FW 4.22, so your comment refers to the HX3.4 from 2016.

A lot has happened in the five years since then. Here is something more recent:

[video:youtube]

Hal: "*No Leslie or Leslie simulator was used. The direct line out was used. Therefore, you can hear the raw sound of both organs."

Update not needed at this time but I might consider it at some point.

Christian...would you consider tech support in the US.?Currently Michael MC Intosh in Salem Oregon is doing authorized warranty for Viscount and Crumar. It would be great not to have to ship to and from Germany. Can put you in touch....

I can hear a difference in the above video. Will give time numbers...when. I get on a real computer and not this phone!

He pulls off notes so fast! Hard to compare...

Hold the note DOWN please....

Key click...

Percussion more intense on Mag and upper drawbars brighter.

If he would hold down some chords in upper octave...and some single notes...

KeyboardPartne\
Any chance we can do the 3.5 upgrade on our own yet, or do we still have to send it in?

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Christian

Yes I will send PM. By the way there is a new authorized service tech for CRUMAR and VISCOUNT organs...he is Michael McIntosh who is doing independent service work after many years of working in major audio outlets in Portland Oregon.

I better check with him before I say too much more .he has really been an asset to me in servicing older instruments.

Christian I will help you get in touch. We are central west coast Salem Oregon....

it's more involved than just reconfiguring the software with an update , the 3.5 uses an FPGA chip with a lot more memory
Understood but it's more than just a chip change, I believe a board needs to be changed out which probably includes the chip and maybe the addition of a board, not sure, as well as the USB socket change out.

The hardware upgrade of an HX3 MIDI Expander from HX3.4 to HX3.5 includes:

Replacing the mainboard, replacing the backpanel and adding a solder tag for the ground connection to the case.

In addition we desolder an IC from the menu panel and add a second 10pin header to enable dimming of the LEDs. This part can be omitted of course.

If you send us the HX3.4 mainboard and order the HX3.5 mainboard for DIY upgrade, you can add a note. Then we would already solder the lug to the board and prepare the backpanel to fit. Then the exchange can be done without soldering simply by plugging in a connector with reverse polarity protection and by screwing the backpanel. Instead of the mainboard you can send the complete expander. Then we do the conversion for free. Contact info@keyboardpartner.de in advance for the clarification of the customs declaration.

Considering the shipping costs and customs formalities on both sides, however, it would probably be easier and cheaper to sell the used Expander 3.4 locally and simply order a new unit. You can make $400 to $500 from the sale, and the export price (excluding German VAT) is 629.41 (WiFi version 654.62). The board exchange would cost 378,15.

The hardware upgrade of an HX3 MIDI Expander from HX3.4 to HX3.5 includes:

Replacing the mainboard, replacing the backpanel and adding a solder tag for the ground connection to the case.

In addition we desolder an IC from the menu panel and add a second 10pin header to enable dimming of the LEDs. This part can be omitted of course.

If you send us the HX3.4 mainboard and order the HX3.5 mainboard for DIY upgrade, you can add a note. Then we would already solder the lug to the board and prepare the backpanel to fit. Then the exchange can be done without soldering simply by plugging in a connector with reverse polarity protection and by screwing the backpanel. Instead of the mainboard you can send the complete expander. Then we do the conversion for free. Contact info@keyboardpartner.de in advance for the clarification of the customs declaration.

Considering the shipping costs and customs formalities on both sides, however, it would probably be easier and cheaper to sell the used Expander 3.4 locally and simply order a new unit. You can make $400 to $500 from the sale, and the export price (excluding German VAT) is 629.41 (WiFi version 654.62). The board exchange would cost 378,15.

Christian, I thought the mini USB was changed to type B port.

Right. That is why you have to exchange the backpanel. The USB-B socket is on the HX3.5 mainboard.
Yea, the mini isn't integrated to the board just screwed to the back panel. I don't think I'd have a problem with the header on the back of the display as well.

BTW

An HX3 at 400 or even 500 would be a super bargain.

Has anyone tried my CV settings? Not because I did it...but because it is in there but it was hard to get to.

I did use the HX3 as an add on to an 88 key Roland as sort of a one board solution. Was using the SIM at the time not CV so much which is more of a jazz thing. No drawbars just presets.

Perhaps we can get tech support in the U.S. I am working on it....

Bill do you have 3.5?

I have to say that since I found a setting I can live with I am in no hurry for an...upgrade. I will sit with this for awhile.

Line box level was a big key and percussion decay were important

Hi LX88! I have picked up an older HX3 as well for my stage setups so I will try your updated C/V settings at some point and report back. You and I have had similar set-ups in the past and seem to be on similar paths. My primary goal is to use my HX-3 for supplemental "rock-ish" organ sounds thru my NumaCompact 2X when playing with guitar-heavy bands.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

no , not yet . i have an hx3.4 with the last available 4.25 update , was a nice upgrade from the 4.22 , richer sound , improved pedal tone tone . i think the c/v was also better .

i like what i'm hearing on some of the numerous 3.5 videos along with the addition of a spring reverb , finally the up to speed pedal tone and much improved leslie sim . would like

to not have to use the vent . over all sound just keeps getting better

Where is the info to up from 4.22 to 4.25?

I got the unit from Tom Tucson...was gonna sent it for update but never made it.. .

I am definitely a low tech guy...and don't even gave a computer presently.I type on a phone...I consciously got rid of internet at home because I was wasting way too much time online and also buying too much stuff

The HX3 was one thing I bought back then and it was seriously frustrating because I could not get info on what the edit parameters were even for! I have a Numa 1 and to me it has killer CV right out of the box. Had too many discussions with Europeans about this...wasted time on that too.

The only thing I am hearing on HX3 that I question is one note....high A with 888000000 and 3rd harmonic. The warble us pretty intense...but Mojo module also does this on different tones.

Even at 4.22 HX3 has a clarity that I like.It took a long time to get to this...years. Key B did a good thing...no CV tweak permitted!

Enough....