Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-OT: The Kurz Triple Strike in the (fake) Old West

I was playing Red Dead Redemption 2 online with my son yesterday.

We went into a saloon to play poker.

So we're (virtually) sitting there, and the piano player is banging out some thematically appropriate stride piano.

And I'd bet my spurs it was the Kurzweil Triple Strike piano sound!

I mean, I KNOW that sound. Too bad they didn't use the upright or honky-tonk variant.

Anyway I lost the poker game and then some random player shot me off my horse. Good times.

Ever hear a preset sound in a game, TV show, or movie and find yourself really distracted by it? :D

I make software noises.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's odd that they didn't use one of the detuned patches.

I haven't played the online version (too put off by reports of teabagging--and worse--trolls), but the single player version of that game was absolutely stunning. I put in tons of hours exploring and hunting and just sight-seeing before even getting to chapter 3! I love open world games and the realism of that one is off the charts.

I love this, someone covered one of the songs in the game (did a great job) and did a time lapse of a walk across part of the map. This doesn't even touch the northern snowy areas or the east, in fact where I am in the game I haven't even seen the desert! What's amazing is that all those people and trains and buildings can be interacted with.

[video:youtube]

Isn't it interesting that pianos in westerns are never in tune? And yet, the choir in that same flick is dead-on perfect.

Ooh -- I could derail this thread into a Musical Tropes discussion if I'm not careful. Or if I am devious.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I don't know what any of this means or what these references are. I only know what a Kurzweil Triple Strike piano is.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Many noticeable sounds mid-90s games, when CDs allowed for actual recorded music and not midi data.

I know of a few soundtracks made exlusively with either a Proteus, Kurzwell K2000, JV-1080, etc and using mostly stock presets.

I don't know what any of this means or what these references are. I only know what a Kurzweil Triple Strike piano is.

It"s like Pac Man but it"s in three dimensions and you"re a cowboy. You can play with other people, but they"re all 13 years old and mean.

And there"s a saloon with a Kurzweil in it.

I make software noises.