Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has it happened to you? Gigbag and damaged Roland joystick.

I got a cheap but well made Green Room gigbag and my 61 key fits good enough and there is not really any major pressure on the joystick. But I wonder about constant light pressure or something being put on it. Obviously I wouldn't use this for a truck pack road gig, flying or a stack your gear here festival.

FunMachine.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I carried an XP-50 in a padded bag for 18 years. It left the house in the bag twice a week for that whole time. Carried in the trunk of the car. Never a problem.

I once checked it as fragile luggage for flights from Vancouver to San Francisco and back. No problem.

My FA-06 and VR-09 have left the house in padded bags about twice a week for the past 5 years. No problem.

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

I use a gig bag for local shows, a SKB molded TSA case for travel gigs. my gig bag (Yamaha"s case for MODX7) is very thin, no bolsters, etc - i do not trust it at all for stacking in and around other gear. No way. I think some aftermarket gig bags are much more rugged and maybe not an issue. I"d never put that Yamaha gig bag into the flight system. Kiss of death, i fear
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I use a padded bag sometimes for my Korg keyboards (similar joystick position to Roland) and have never had an issue.

This being said - I only do this for rehearsal and some local gigs.

If I"m stacking my keyboards with other gear or flying I always use a hard case.

See if there's a deck-saver product for your keyboard. There's one for my minilogue XD module and I'm probably gonna pick it up if I find myself transporting it frequently.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

Deck savers for the ds61 are discontinued and were about $150. A cool product but overkill for my use. The little part that covers the joystick would be cool. I think I can find some kind of plastic container and make something like that.

FunMachine.

Way back in the 80"s, there really weren"t any gig bags. Hard cases were mostly your only option. That said, my Roland Super JX suffered joystick damage when a careless band mate basically dropped the case, keys down. The paddle assembly remained intact but the end cheek cracked and broke where the screws held the bracket in place. Epoxy has it back together to this day.

I could go off with my rant about the design flaw that is the modern Roland pitch paddle, but since finally getting a 'new' unit to replace the three that went bad on my VR09, I"ve stepped back from being a Roland hater to simply being annoyed at them for no longer selling parts to the general public. Whoops...there I go...

Anyway, my point is that any device with exposed, pointy sticks, sliders, knobs, and paddles has potential for damage regardless of the type of container it is transported in.

I got a gun case for my NE 73. It *just* fits and I cut back the foam as not to put pressure on the knobs and drawbars. It does weigh a lot more than the gig bag, but I certainly don"t worry about schlepping it out.

If my car got broken into someone"s gonna be disappointed that it"s not a rifle.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P