Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you performing with a face mask?

It has become ridiculous, imo. Wearing a mask outdoors is certainly NOT science. The only way mask mandates/rules will end is when people refuse to comply. Unfortunately, that is just the way it is when dealing with authoritarian control over large populations of people. Seems there should be a music revolution popping up around this sometime soon ;)

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It"s interesting that in an (appropriately) non-political forum the issue of masks onstage seems to elicit a crypto-political discussion. I guess we just can"t help ourselves.

And so stranger, how do you pronounce 'Shibboleth"?

It has become ridiculous, imo. Wearing a mask outdoors is certainly NOT science. The only way mask mandates/rules will end is when people refuse to comply. Unfortunately, that is just the way it is when dealing with authoritarian control over large populations of people. Seems there should be a music revolution popping up around this sometime soon ;)

Perhaps you're talking about a different thread. In this thread, the issue is whether Montunoman voluntarily takes a gig where he's required to wear a mask as a public service message. That's not authoritarianism, that's showbiz.

I am genuinely and un-ironically curious what the music of anti-masker revolutionaries would sound like. Maybe Ted Nugent transposed to the 20's?

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

In a band member vote, I would vote to not accept an outdoor gig if we band members would be required to wear a mask: my 2 big roles in our band are playing the sax and singing backup vocals, and there are songs where I switch quickly between both of these on the same song. There is a second person in our band who also switches between horns and singing backup vocals, so he has the same issue.

It"s interesting that in an (appropriately) non-political forum the issue of masks onstage seems to elicit a crypto-political discussion. I guess we just can"t help ourselves.

As I mentioned in a another thread, considering the collective of intelligence of my KC brethren, we can do better in terms of making non-political responses. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've done about 26 gigs, about evenly split between inside and outside, since everything shut down last March. We didn't, and haven't been asked to, wear masks onstage at any of them. I don't know how I'd feel if we were asked to wear them onstage, but it would probably be a moot point because the other guys in the band would refuse.

Onstage I'm not too concerned, since I'm distanced already behind a stack of keyboards. Offstage, we've all been pretty diligent, more so than the clientele, about wearing masks. I'm not much for schmoozing with a crowd before/after a show anyway, but I've been pleasantly surprised that they don't seem to expect that these days.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

All streaming shows and live gigs I've played since covid (only about ten) have been extremely regulated, with on-stage social distancing rules contractually enforced, and this year, mandatory antigen tests at get-in. Masks required at all times backstage except when alone or eating, not required on-stage (but mandatory until we reached our designated positions).

I'd have no issues with having to wear a mask onstage (except for glasses fogging up), but then, I'm the keyboard player and not backup vocalist.

As a vocalist, I'd probably pass up the job if wearing a mask were a requirement.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

As I mentioned in a another thread, considering the collective of intelligence of my KC brethren, we can do better in terms of making non-political responses. :cool:

I did not think my post was political. Maybe historical or philisophical, but not political. I don't believe I promoted anything political or any political party or agenda. Seems all too easy to reply with a label (e.g., political, religious, etc.) in order to discount something. However, I don't have a dog in the fight so I sincerely apologize for straying outside your lane. To be even more direct about the original gig question - you should tell the event organizers to go pound sand. Just my non-political opinion, however.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

Perhaps you're talking about a different thread. In this thread, the issue is whether Montunoman voluntarily takes a gig where he's required to wear a mask as a public service message. That's not authoritarianism, that's showbiz.

I am genuinely and un-ironically curious what the music of anti-masker revolutionaries would sound like. Maybe Ted Nugent transposed to the 20's?

I will type slower....No. Don't take the gig.

Keep in mind that the whole "social distancing" thing kind of becomes a bit fuzzy knowing that this thing is airborne; indoors, it can go a very great distance and be subject to far less dispersal depending on the air circulation compared to outside.

I'm not sure how I'll handle my first indoor gig in 10 days. It's going to be too hot to have doors and windows open that's for sure. I'll have my stage fan blowing on my like always. I've been vaccinated and for sure will wear a mask when not on stage. The particular crowd at this place, not so sure how much mask-wearing there will be...I suspect not very much, and I could well get harassed as our singer sometimes has from what she's said.

Personally I don't see how the government enforcing mask-wearing is particularly "authoritarian" in any bad sense. They also don't let us drive drunk, juggle chainsaws on crowded sidewalks or shoot our guns randomly over a city after our team wins the championship. You can't say anything you want in certain places. We don't live in some libertarian post-apocalyptic town (thankfully and not yet anyway). I fail to see what the government stands to gain in their nefarious scheme to get us to slap paper on our jowls....I guess it leads somehow to turning us all into sheep to the benefit of "the man" but I fail to see how. Certainly mask enforcement, like anything else, should make sense and be based on factual information.

I've had 4 outdoor gigs, with 3 different bands, in the last couple of months, all unmasked. I double on sax and keys. I can't play sax with a mask on, and I won't wear a mask onstage anyway. Big stage, outdoors, distance between bandmates. Another gig coming up this weekend, and another in early June. I'm vaxxed and so are bandmates. I feel safe and I don't think I present any risk to others. CDC guidance says you don't need to wear a mask outdoors if you're vaxxed and not physically close to others.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Personally I don't see how the government enforcing mask-wearing is particularly "authoritarian" in any bad sense. They also don't let us drive drunk, juggle chainsaws on crowded sidewalks or shoot our guns randomly over a city after our team wins the championship. You can't say anything you want in certain places. We don't live in some libertarian post-apocalyptic town (thankfully and not yet anyway). I fail to see what the government stands to gain in their nefarious scheme to get us to slap paper on our jowls....I guess it leads somehow to turning us all into sheep to the benefit of "the man" but I fail to see how. Certainly mask enforcement, like anything else, should make sense and be based on factual information.

I did not connect "authoritarian" to the government. You did. After all, political discussion is not allowed on this forum. I only meant to imply that some rules will only end when people refuse to comply. Sheesh, quite trying to drag me into a political debate ;) My new Yoda quote is "Play masked, or do not play masked..."

Thought experiment, let's say someone offers to pay you just to stand on stage in a public place wearing a mask, the idea being that by doing that you're sending the message that masking is ok. I think there's generally 3 ways to respond:

1) you do the gig regardless of what it pays because you want to promote masks

2) you refuse to do the gig no matter what it pays because you're against masks

3) you do the gig but only if it pays enough

There's probably no one in #1. Probably a lot of people in #2. But most of us would be in #3, willing to be a mask manequin if it pays enough.

Having thought that through, now you can add in the part about performing music. But I think for most people that doesn't change which group you're in.

I suppose there's a 4th group of people who claim to be against authoritarianism but then tell other people they have to not wear masks. Those people should try to get their story straight.

also there's a 5th group: Don't care whether or not *you* wear a mask. That's my group.

As I said previously, I will respect a business's decision on masks. If I don't like whatever the decision is, I simply bypass the business.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I'm no longer wearing masks on instrumental solo gigs, because no longer required to (2nd shot last week, BTW) but in a way it helped me out. Some of my competitors- I mean, fellow music musicians- would sing, unamplified, while they played. Masks shut that down and more than evened out the "playing" field.

I have heard reports of people singing masked, however. Perhaps that muffled mask vocal effect will find it's way into FX presets on DAWs and PA mixers, for those nostalgic for the good old pandemic days.

I suppose there's a 4th group of people who claim to be against authoritarianism but then tell other people they have to not wear masks. Those people should try to get their story straight.

Just here to say your posts rock.

Also, who ever could have foreseen this thread derailing into a partisan paintball fight?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Thought experiment, let's say someone offers to pay you just to stand on stage in a public place wearing a mask, the idea being that by doing that you're sending the message that masking is ok. I think there's generally 3 ways to respond:

There's probably no one in #1. Probably a lot of people in #2. But most of us would be in #3, willing to be a mask manequin if it pays enough.

Having thought that through, now you can add in the part about performing music. But I think for most people that doesn't change which group you're in.

I would solidly be in group 1. This pandemic has cost too many lives and people. :idk:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Don"t forget the passive aggressive ones that always insists on placing others into groups or categories while injecting false generalizations about said group"s position on a topic. One complete db...above the noise floor.

I didn't get double-vaccinated so that I could keep wearing a mask.

As a general rule, nowadays I don't wear one anywhere. I usually keep one with me if I'm in a business and I'll happily wear it if someone asks me nicely and I can't distance myself.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Don"t forget the passive aggressive ones that always insists on placing others into groups or categories while injecting false generalizations about said group"s position on a topic. One complete db...above the noise floor.

Is that what I was doing? I thought I was just using logic. I'll guess we'll have to disagree.

I think we could agree that everyone should be vigilant against all forms of authoritarianism. But I'll keep my powder dry for what I consider to be a real threat, because there's plenty of those.

Did someone say masked sax player?

MAS-1800-2T.jpg

With so much info and dis-info out there it's hard to tell what's valid anymore. Nevertheless I heard a report documenting that playing horns (especially saxes with multiple tone holes) will disperse far more droplets, and even further from the source than that from an unmasked person talking or singing. So, if anything, the Sax needs a mask!.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Maskurbating: Wearing masks in situations that clearly do not call for it, for the sole purpose of advertising virtue or expressing solidarity with your tribe. IMO that is counterproductive. But I dunno, maybe some people actually think a mask is necessary when checking their mail or hiking an outdoor trail (I saw that while in the Smokies recently).

In my non-virtual world, people mostly get along and respect each other's decisions. I haven't seen anyone catch flak for choosing to wear a mask on a gig. However I have had a couple of friends try to frame the vax decision as a political thing, I tell them only an idiot would make a health decision based on politics.

If a gig requires me to wear a suit (and it's been years, but it happens) I wear a suit. It doesn't mean I'm going to wear a suit any other time. I'm not making a political statement, or even a style statement. I'm doing it to work the gig.

I feel the same about masks. I'm fully vaccinated so there's no practical reason for it. But there's no practical reason to put a tie on for formal gigs either.

If a gig requires me to wear a suit (and it's been years, but it happens) I wear a suit. It doesn't mean I'm going to wear a suit any other time. I'm not making a political statement, or even a style statement. I'm doing it to work the gig.

I feel the same about masks. I'm fully vaccinated so there's no practical reason for it. But there's no practical reason to put a tie on for formal gigs either.

Exactly what I was trying to type. This.

In general, the overall benefit of wearing masks has reduced the spread of viruses even putting the common cold and flu at a 15 year low. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I"m having my Michael-from-the-Godfather moment, but:

As spectacularly effective as these vaccines are, they only prevent about 90% of transmission. That means they *fail* to prevent infection about 1 out of every 10 times. This means that you will be infectious to othersâpotentially without even knowing itâat that same rate.

That"s why getting jabbed is not a magic ticket to masklessness, until we reach the proper mathematical threshold...which we have not.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Nevertheless I heard a report documenting that playing horns (especially saxes with multiple tone holes) will disperse far more droplets, and even further from the source than that from an unmasked person talking or singing. So, if anything, the Sax needs a mask!.
Whether or not this is true or accurate, wearing a mask while playing a sax won't do anything to reduce the droplets because you're blowing into the horn through a hole in the mask. If droplets are really being dispersed through the toneholes (which I doubt) or the bell (more likely). it's the blowing into the sax that's doing that and the mask doesn't stop that because you're blowing through a hole in the mask. This is ridiculous.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.