Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If one were to use a space station on stage, would you mic?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Separate signal to FOH. Miking it wouldn't give you its 3D effect, all you'd get is the coloration of the speakers, which is far from ideal. That is, you'd lose the best thing about the SS, and be doubling down on the worst thing about it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I wasn't familiar with the SpaceStation so I just checked it out. It only has one 8" speaker and a 6.5" side fill speaker, and a 1" tweeter. So it not going to be super clean and LOUD with the full range of a keyboard going thru it. I say pick one super clean or loud, if loud is your choice then also split out to the PA.

From my guitar playing the last decade or so mainly playing Jazz I was using ported speaker cabinets with 8" speaker(s). I found one 8" speaker was barely usable for home practice and not that full. I then got the 2x8" of the same cabinet and it was a world of difference and that is a guitar nowhere near the range of a keyboard. For volume you want a lot more paper to move air.

The "sub out" mono output is actually full range. It also is a lot cleaner sound than what comes out of the speakers, which have some interesting grit. You don't get a separate level control for it. Simple hand the mono signal to FOH, personal subwoofer or perhaps a full-range 8" strategically placed, and you're good to go.

Stereo out would require splitting the signal before it reached the SSv3, as noted above.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

So basically, it"s is for personal monitoring?

Hmm...I (and I think others) interpreted your original question to mean, is mic'ing the SS3 the best way to get sound through the mains. But now I think you might have meant, "Does it need to be sent to the mains at all, or is it loud enough on its own?" Is that right?

Short answer is that if you're in situations where you'd need to wonder about mic'ing a keyboard amp, then no, it's likely not loud enough on its own for those. BUT...longer answer is that it's super easy (and better than mic'ing) to get sound from the SS3 through the mains: use that "Sub out" jack in back to give a line to the house/soundboard/mains. That's a "thru" from your keyboards and really easy to work with as a line-in on the mixer.

Does that clarify?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Hmm...I (and I think others) interpreted your original question to mean, is mic'ing the SS3 the best way to get sound through the mains. But now I think you might have meant, "Does it need to be sent to the mains at all, or is it loud enough on its own?" Is that right?

Short answer is that if you're in situations where you'd need to wonder about mic'ing a keyboard amp, then no, it's likely not loud enough on its own for those. BUT...longer answer is that it's super easy (and better than mic'ing) to get sound from the SS3 through the mains: use that "Sub out" jack in back to give a line to the house/soundboard/mains. That's a "thru" from your keyboards and really easy to work with as a line-in on the mixer.

Does that clarify?

Yep. That makes sense

It's not great at that. Think small venues, rehearsals and the like. When I use one live, it's usually a small gig with only vocals through the PA, modest levels, etc. If your signal has decent stereo content (chorus or leslie, for example) it creates this very pleasant soundstage that everyone hears: you, the band, audience, etc. Give it mono signals and it sounds like a mid-range 8" coax.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I'll say from experience that a Spacestation isn't actually the greatest stage monitor unless there's a few feet of room so you can hear it "bloom." I've been told more than once that my sound was bordering too loud for an audience whereas on stage, it was in balance. Also if you're playing outdoor gigs with minimal surfaces for the SSv3 to bounce off, you won't get the effect or volume either.

It's a great amp, but it's definitely niche to how you intend to use it.

Here for the gear.