Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GSi VB3m for Android!

Thanks for your advice DD.

1. I have the phone audio routed into the aux in of the reface, so if I pull the volume on the YC it also kills the volume of vb3m. Although this solution (local on) does make the rotary lever have 3 postions. So it would be a fine solution if I choose to have audio straight out of phone into an amp.

2. Presets? The reface YC doesn't have any, if that's what you mean.

3. Could do. It does have an expression pedal jack. But then I've lost my swell.

4. I have chosen this one. I have a fader that natively is assigned to vibrato depth so I have mapped that to Leslie and it works fine for 3 speeds. Of course I'd prefer the location of the rotary lever but like you say, you've got to find a way to make it work.

I may go back to the rotary lever choice as it can do slow/fast and I don't often play stop.

If you dont use leslie stop very often and dont need to switch the leslie speed from brake to fast for that particular song, you can just tap the halfmoon on the touch screen of your phone with your finger to the middle position.

FunMachine.

I still haven"t been able to use VB3m on my Yamaha YC61 without crackles unless I raise the buffer to 512 or higher!? I also have pure piano and don"t get crackles with this even at the 128 buffer!?

What device are you using? and is it IOS or android?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I still haven"t been able to use VB3m on my Yamaha YC61 without crackles unless I raise the buffer to 512 or higher!? I also have pure piano and don"t get crackles with this even at the 128 buffer!?

I'm seriously not trying to be a jerk when I say some gear and apps just dont work together . I have a positive experience to post. This is the first time I used vb3m since the cloud update. Whatever bugs guido fixed really seems like it brought down the latency. I usb'd my phone to my jdxi for a micro rig and was surprised that the lag is in the range of actually being able to enjoy playing without being bugged by the delay. That even letting the phone power the hub with my thumb sided usb sound card. Now one last little thing, slow down the up ramp time by a little bit.

Btw DF, do you have an option in your yamaha to select vendor or generic usb driver?

FunMachine.

I see from an earlier post you are using iPad Mini4 and iPhone 7.

Try the iPad with the charger connected

Shut down and restart - just clears stuff from memory I suppose

Turn Airplane Mode on

Check no other apps are running

Open VB3m

Set the latency to 256

You could turn off Background Audio but shouldn't make any difference with this test

Turn the Drive off (so you have a nice clean VB3m signal)

Turn the Reverb off (uses less processing)

On the YC61:

Set USB volume to 64

Turn all the sections off

If you are using a zone to play VB3m make sure the YC61 is on a different channel ie 16

If this still produces clicks/crackles then choose a lower(!) latency setting, close VB3m down and restart.

As Jr. Deluxe says some stuff sometimes does not work. But I use an iPad Mini 2 with a CP 73 and most of the time it's crackle free. BTW how much free storage have you got on the iPad? If I run it with my iPhone 7 battery has to be above 50% and Airplane mode on.

The Model D app recommends Airplane mode on, or Wireless off and at least 50% battery to avoid crackles.

I see from an earlier post you are using iPad Mini4 and iPhone 7.

Try the iPad with the charger connected

Shut down and restart - just clears stuff from memory I suppose

Turn Airplane Mode on

Check no other apps are running

Open VB3m

Set the latency to 256

You could turn off Background Audio but shouldn't make any difference with this test

Turn the Drive off (so you have a nice clean VB3m signal)

Turn the Reverb off (uses less processing)

On the YC61:

Set USB volume to 64

Turn all the sections off

If you are using a zone to play VB3m make sure the YC61 is on a different channel ie 16

If this still produces clicks/crackles then choose a lower(!) latency setting, close VB3m down and restart.

As Jr. Deluxe says some stuff sometimes does not work. But I use an iPad Mini 2 with a CP 73 and most of the time it's crackle free. BTW how much free storage have you got on the iPad? If I run it with my iPhone 7 battery has to be above 50% and Airplane mode on.

The Model D app recommends Airplane mode on, or Wireless off and at least 50% battery to avoid crackles.

Thanks, I"ll try those suggestions ðð» It"s a strange problem as I read someone is using it with an older iPhone 6 without a single crackle at 256.

• 1 month later...

I am a happy, happy man.

Bought this for my iPhone 7 last night. Hooked it up to the MODX via a camera connection kit (thanks to the MODX's audio/MIDI USB interface) and had a lot of fun.

Dug out my old Ocean Beach DB-1 Digital Drawbars, decided to see if they'd work. Had to tweak the MIDI CC cos they were acting a bit weird, and hey presto. My MODX is now a single manual clonewheel organ with full drawbar control.

I was always a bit anxious about stability when using mobile apps, but after 45 minutes of straight playing I had no problems at all. Only time the app crashed was when I tried to store a preset, but that was a one off. Been enjoying the MODX more and more recently, and this addition has just taken it much closer to that eagerly desired 1 board solution. My Electro is currently lying in it's case collecting dust.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Can anyone else confirm this issue. I'm running VB3m 1.2 on iOS:

1) change the basic channel to 4 or higher

2) play the pedal tones - if you're on channel 4 they will be on channel 6

3) now select a new preset

4) pedal tones are now on channel 3

If I change to a new basic channel the pedal tones play on the correct channel until I recall a new preset. Then they revert to channel 3 again.

I suspect most people have just left it on the channel 1 in which case there isn't an issue.

Where"s the Rhodes for iOS?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Can anyone else confirm this issue. I'm running VB3m 1.2 on iOS:

1) change the basic channel to 4 or higher

2) play the pedal tones - if you're on channel 4 they will be on channel 6

3) now select a new preset

4) pedal tones are now on channel 3

If I change to a new basic channel the pedal tones play on the correct channel until I recall a new preset. Then they revert to channel 3 again.

I suspect most people have just left it on the channel 1 in which case there isn't an issue.

report it to guido. it is probably a software bug and he might author a fix for it.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yes I did that a few weeks ago but didn't get a reply. The few times I've reported bugs to Guido he's usually been quick to confirm there's a problem. But I've heard nothing back so I'm thinking maybe he can't reproduce it and it might indicate there's a issue with my setup. It's not major but it does force me to use Basic Channel 1 or avoid channel 3 in any setups I use.

Just released a recording of my band, our first original single, using the VB3m as the main instrument. Just a little tape delay on the DAW, no more editing. Controlled it with my Korg CX3. It´s on the shameless plugs section, hope you like it and help me to reach GSi:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3101622/first-single-from-my-organ-bass-drums-trio#Post3101622

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Yes that's nice!

I'm close to using VB3m for our next gig BUT.... I keep finding bugs!! I posted about bass pedals only playing on Midi Channel 3 a few posts back.

Well here is another. BTW I'm running on iOS and have tested this on iPhone and iPad.

1) Set Drawbars at 0, Percussion and Vibrato off. Volume and Swell at max.

2) Play on any Midi Channel and it sounds like someone tapping a microphone - which is interesting because.......

3) Select Leslie 1 or 2 then set Mic Balance to Horn - no key thump

4) Set Mic Balance fully left to Rotor - key thump is back.

Sound is present on every Midi Channel - so set Basic Channel is set 1 and play on Midi Channel 10 it's still there. It's not too intrusive, in fact I thought it was my keybed. Sounds OK when it mixed with the organ sound, but as VB3m is 'listening' on every channel it's a little odd the hearing that noise when you play Module etc.

I've sent a message to Guido at GSi so hopefully he will get back to me.

At open mics I visit, a portable, phone based VB3 will increase the amount of times I can particpate. I bought an E-MU XBoard 49 on ebay for $65. It needed one of the keybed cables resoldered to the contact strip board but otherwise is in great shape. It can be powered by 3 AA batteries, I noticed my Pixel 4a barely draws when the XBoard batteries are in. I mounted a 3.5mm TRS to 1/4 females and the OTG to the XBoard by using 3M clear double sided tape to hold small plastic zip tie holders.

This was very usable but the XBoard only has rotary knobs so when I came across this thread and saw Max Tempia using the NanoKontrol I changed course. I have a NanoKontrol2 and a small switchable 4 port USB 3 hub. I'm going out through the phone OTG to the hub. Then the hub is connected to the NanoKontrol2 and the phone. I mapped all the knobs, switches and sliders on the NanoKontrol2 to the defaults in VB3m. It's working well and the NanoKontrol2 doesn't seem to add any battery drain. Right now I'm fabricating a 32cm wide by 16cm "shelf" for the NanoKontrol2 that is folded in the middle at a 45 degree angle where the phone and the USB switch will mount on the upper part. I will post photos tomorrow when I'm done.

I'm also using the free version IK iLectric, it has one model called the Suitcase EP. iLectric listens on all MIDI channels so I have to close VB3m and open iLectric. When iLectric opens it doesn't work until I "USB cycle" the keyboard so the switch on the USB hub makes that somewhat painless.

I have VB3 1.4, VB3 II, B5 and B3-X but often use VB3 1.4, it sounds right for rock classics. I'm really happy Guido released VB3m.

I use the free ilectric also. I tried to upgrade but it doesn't work so dont try it. Read the play store reviews. Also you are using a 49 key so you may not have noticed but one low key is dead. So it's just like using a real vintage EP.

FunMachine.

Thanks for the heads up on the ilectric upgrades. I did read the Play store reviews but having someone here confirm helps, there can be so many nonsense reviews. That one Rhodes is sufficient for my battery operated rig. I would love to map my XBoard knobs to the effects controls but it doesn't look like that's supported. BTW, if the upgrade for $10 worked is it just one extra instrument or all of them?

Thanks for the heads up on the ilectric upgrades. I did read the Play store reviews but having someone here confirm helps, there can be so many nonsense reviews. That one Rhodes is sufficient for my battery operated rig. I would love to map my XBoard knobs to the effects controls but it doesn't look like that's supported. BTW, if the upgrade for $10 worked is it just one extra instrument or all of them?

I actually bought the paid thing for ipad. You still dont get them all but you get like 10 or 20 I forget exactly. But they aren't all that much different. But android changes so much from version to version that apps get left behind and the developers dont want to rebuild their app twice a year so they abandon support. I believe ik abandoned ilectric android. They should really pull the app off of the play store or put a warning on there to not upgrade.

FunMachine.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my Android/XBoard project.

The back plate was scavenged from 2007 TV. I used 3M 30lb double sided tape to attach it plus 3 screws. I cut little 1/4" by 1 1/2" plates and epoxied them to the inside, then drilled a 5/16" hole and used self tapping screws. When I screwed in I held the little plate with a pliers.

51321881778_cb84811f66_k.jpgdcs_xboard_phone_mount_back_plate_2 by dsteinschneider, on Flickr

The 4mm thumbscrews are from PC's. The metal brackets were 1/16 thick corner braces. These also will hold a Dell 11" 2 in 1 laptop. That's why the slotted bracket on the right sticks out - the laptop is narrower than the NanoKontrol2. I'm holding the USB C cable to the plate with a neodymium magnet scavenged from a hard drive. You would think that would somehow impair the USB C OTG connection but I've played this for hours with no noticeable issue. The phone isn't in place because I needed it to take these photos :) The cable tie down just below the USB C OTG connector is just to keep the USB C connection straight.

51320945012_a3f78b3770_k.jpgdcs_xboard_phone_mount by dsteinschneider, on Flickr

Here is a photo of the underside of the Xboard 49 top. The threaded nut plates are for surfboard fins. The are attached with 3M 30lb double sided tape.

51321881813_d011994cce_k.jpgdcs_xboard_surf_fin_plates by dsteinschneider, on Flickr

I have assigned the top row of the NanoKontrol2 buttons to the Vibrato and Percussion Tablets. The knobs control Volume, Drive, KeyClick, Bass, Treble and Reverb - the right most one controls drawbar 9.

Thanks to Max Tempia for inspiring this build

I finished my Android/XBoard project.

The back plate was scavenged from 2007 TV. I used 3M 30lb double sided tape to attach it plus 3 screws. I cut little 1/4" by 1 1/2" plates and epoxied them to the inside, then drilled a 5/16" hole and used self tapping screws. When I screwed in I held the little plate with a pliers.

51321881778_cb84811f66_k.jpgdcs_xboard_phone_mount_back_plate_2 by dsteinschneider, on Flickr

The 4mm thumbscrews are from PC's. The metal brackets were 1/16 thick corner braces. These also will hold a Dell 11" 2 in 1 laptop. That's why the slotted bracket on the right sticks out - the laptop is narrower than the NanoKontrol2. I'm holding the USB C cable to the plate with a neodymium magnet scavenged from a hard drive. You would think that would somehow impair the USB C OTG connection but I've played this for hours with no noticeable issue. The phone isn't in place because I needed it to take these photos :) The cable tie down just below the USB C OTG connector is just to keep the USB C connection straight.

51320945012_a3f78b3770_k.jpgdcs_xboard_phone_mount by dsteinschneider, on Flickr

Here is a photo of the underside of the Xboard 49 top. The threaded nut plates are for surfboard fins. The are attached with 3M 30lb double sided tape.

51321881813_d011994cce_k.jpgdcs_xboard_surf_fin_plates by dsteinschneider, on Flickr

I have assigned the top row of the NanoKontrol2 buttons to the Vibrato and Percussion Tablets. The knobs control Volume, Drive, KeyClick, Bass, Treble and Reverb - the right most one controls drawbar 9.

Thanks to Max Tempia for inspiring this build

what does this post have to do with VB3m for android?

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

[quote=dsteinschneider

what does this post have to do with VB3m for android?

It was how I put together a keyboard rig that runs on batteries for VB3m but I get your point. If you're a moderator please remove my two last posts.

I dont think its totally off topic. Especially after 9 pages.

FunMachine.

• 1 month later...
Any updates im sight for the VB3m? Not that it is needed, but some new features, even if they are in app buy with an extra price, like some effects like delay, wah and other things would be great. And, of corse, even better if they could be saved on the presets. Just dreamin here. :)

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

There are few bugs that Guido is aware of - maybe September for an update, Has anyone else noticed quite a loud click when changing presets? Happens on both iPhone and iPad. Not a huge issue for live but I really notice it playing solo at home.

I did not notice that click when changing the presets. Anyway, would be nice some extra things on this update.Did you hear anything about september or is it just a guess?

For comparison, the Galileo has extra effects and other functions and works flawlessly on my old iPad 3 too. C´mon Guido, you already have those, only thing missing is putting into the vb3m for free LOL :D

• 2 months later...

When I run VB3m as an AUv3 in Camelot Pro, it only lets me select the first 16 presets (the factory ones). My user preset at location 17 (the only one I created) doesn't show its name when I view presets from within Camelot Pro, and if I select the 17th preset anyway (which just says User Preset), I don't get my sound. I'd be curious to know whether anyone else here has seen (or can reproduce) this behavior.

My temporary solution was to use Camelot Pro for my other apps, but not for VB3m, which instead I ran concurrently as a standalone app on its own MIDI channel which Camelot Pro was not addressing. This mostly worked for my purposes, except when I switched away from playing VB3m to another app (running via Camelot), and then switched back to VB3m, the overdrive on VB3m was gone!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)