Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synthesizer Shortage

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a Jupiter-8 on ebay for $30k, so I assume Reverb will also begin heating up eventually. I have spares of everything vital, thankfully, but it only took a year+ for the sourcing of instrument materials to become a (small) part of the crisis. The market is going to start behaving like a random LFO at some point. Then it will either rebalance or the zombies will finally appear. Its a great time to be a softsynth coder.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

hardware, not software, of course ;)

Software needs chips to run on.

Hey, don't cloud the issue. I'm trying to shore up my world view with some select denial, here. :taz::eek:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I must live in the best music store part of the world because my pusher aways has the synth I want in stock. :laugh:

However, I guess to the point of the video, that could explain why the Korg Nautilus hasn't shown up yet. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My spouse doesn't believe there's a shortage at our house :D

Right? I was GASsing for the Nord Wave 2. Just bummed that it isn't finished in black. That red sticks out and screams, " Overspent! ". :nono:;)

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Slightly sideways, but I've also noticed a lot of empty display space in the nearest Guitar Center; very few Basses, nearly empty FX pedal case, fewer Guitars, lots of space waiting for products?

While the chip shortage definitely impacts the Synth market, IDK what's up with other Instruments, or Analog FX pedals?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

This is a global pandemic with global consequences. It will take a while for the world to bounce back. In the meantime, I feed my GAS by selling off synths and saving the money for when things come back to normal.

Oh, and buying iOS apps and putting them aside until I get time to learn them, which TBH is never. But hey, I'm supporting developers, so I consider it a mitzvah. :D

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Slightly sideways, but I've also noticed a lot of empty display space in the nearest Guitar Center; very few Basses, nearly empty FX pedal case, fewer Guitars, lots of space waiting for products?

While the chip shortage definitely impacts the Synth market, IDK what's up with other Instruments, or Analog FX pedals?

Guitar Center has a different set of problems related to their credit. No one will send them anything because they are afraid they won"t get paid. This, along with deprioritization of replenishment for the same reason has made the smaller GC"s look like pawn shops. My local store has a Moog Grandmother, 2 MODxes, a Roland JDDi, a Krome, and a bunch of digital pianos.

"For instance" is not proof.

along with deprioritization of replenishment for the same reason has made the smaller GC"s look like pawn shops. My local store has a Moog Grandmother, 2 MODxes, a Roland JDDi, a Krome, and a bunch of digital pianos.

The GC here has bald spots all over the store. In keyboards they have one MoDX8 they've had on the floor for three or four years that everyone has played. Then one lower end Roland after that just their house brand and beginner Casios. They've gotten to point they are putting keyboard cases on the wall to look like they have something. Guitars are doing a little better but not much. I was there with a friend who knows most the staff. He mentioned to one of the sales guy how empty things are, they told him... Oh it's because we're selling stuff as fast as it comes in. I said like the Yamaha MoDX that's been sitting there over three years. The GC guy just got quiet and doggy eyed.

Hmmm... buy stock in chip manufacturing companies?

Pick the winners and you could do very well.

I've got a chunk of NVDA, just waiting...

Can't grow a tree from a seed overnight.

Meanwhile, I just keep playing the same guitars and basses, they are good instruments and will be good instruments for longer than I will live.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It would be funny if the crisis was so bad, we were running out of software!

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

The ocean called. They're running out of sand.

[video:youtube]

Seriously, though, it's amazing how well the supply chain is running with all of the global restrictions.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Guitar Center has a different set of problems related to their credit. No one will send them anything because they are afraid they won"t get paid. This, along with deprioritization of replenishment for the same reason has made the smaller GC"s look like pawn shops. My local store has a Moog Grandmother, 2 MODxes, a Roland JDDi, a Krome, and a bunch of digital pianos.

Not just credit problems. The market saturated of guitar gear starting a few years ago. Fewer guitar students and lack of modern day guitar heroes contribute to slow sales. Gibson struggled but Fender weathered it better.

The FX pedal is a crowded market too.

The FX pedal is a crowded market too.

I'll say. Latest Sweetwater catalogue had pages and pages and pages of pedals. As a non-guitarist, I thought to myself "How many ways are there really to distort / flange / chorus? Shouldn't about 5 pedals handle it?"

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

wowee, maybe my old (ancient) A70 might actually be worth something again :D

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Yeah, I look at all those pedals and don't want any of them. I have 3 guitar pedals total and never use any of them. My amps have effects built in and I mostly don't use those either. Yesterday I played a gig where I turned reverb on and left it on and then changed from dirty to clean using my mid-boost knob on the guitar. One cord, nothing on the ground. I like that.
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 4 weeks later...
Still no synth shortage in my world. Even thinking I might have to wait a week to get my Prophet XL, turns out it was in another warehouse. I got it. That's how my music store rolls. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

bump

Have you solved the shortage yet Dave :mad:

working on it, my brother down under. :)

I am SO down to buy one of your Doerfler Lead synths - 73 keys please :)

Still no synth shortage in my world. Even thinking I might have to wait a week to get my Prophet XL, turns out it was in another warehouse. I got it. That's how my music store rolls. :D:cool:

Nice! Is it going to replace the SV-1?

The only new keyboard-related thing I may buy this year is the Casio CT-S1. I preordered the Osmose but at this rate, I'd be surprised if it's ready to ship before 2022.

The Line 6 HX Stomp XL has some keyboard-oriented presets that I'll try with my existing synths soon. It helped me lose interest in buying any more FX pedals.

Nice! Is it going to replace the SV-1?

Brotha Gov, check your PM. :cool:

PD

Huge spikes in basic construction material prices have helped fuel a crazy real estate boom in the Intermountain West. Places like Boise, Idaho and Bozeman, Montana are totally nuts. Meanwhile help wanted signs abound paying 18-22 an hour....from which folks can't pay their rent anymore.

Containers are a big issue, apparently. Where I live everybody who wants to be is vaccinated and you see very few masks, even in grocery stores. But most of the world is in dire straits, even Taiwan is seeing a jump in cases. China remains very hard to enter and leave.

So the synth shortage may not get better for at least a year. Of course what do I know. A year ago I did not imagine a real estate boom.

I've bought quite a few acoustic instruments in the last year, no problem. Most made in far east. Ebikes have been hard to source the whole time. Luckily my old one was replaced on warranty early on, and I had "synthed" up mostly by Feb 2020. I did notice some price spikes over the summer at reverb, where they have the charts.

I may have missed the window on an andromeda, and I just hope I live to enjoy the Osmose I reserved LOL.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Another shortage I've noticed in last couple weeks is new cars. Where I live there was two auto malls and one is only blocks aways so I drive by their backlots all the time. The backlots are almost empty, bit lots the size of a couple football fields each with just a handful of cars in them. Size the shortage is hitting everything if the bulk of the parts are made overseas to make something. Even things labeled Made in the USA the bulk of the components and materials inside are made overseas. Looks like it will be a sellers market for awhile.