Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Focusrite acquiring Sequential.

Well, the video sure didn't make it seem like Dave was organizing his fishing flies...

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I am the great Cornholio !"

TV

Am I having a flashback or did Theo just reference "Beavis & Butthead?" :o

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Well, the video sure didn't make it seem like Dave was organizing his fishing flies...

Well, if i decided to spend my spare cash in buying Sequential, i would make sure Dave stay on board for a while; i think he is a big asset, both technically/strategically and as a symbol.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Hey, at least it was not Gibson.

Hopefully Focusrite won"t trash Sequential like Gibson did to Oberheim. Henry J. should be strung up for what he did to Oberheim"s revolutionary F.A.R. Synthesis and the genius who was developing it. I still haven"t forgiven Gibson.

Hey, at least it was not Gibson.

Hopefully Focusrite won"t trash Sequential like Gibson did to Oberheim. Henry J. should be strung up for what he did to Oberheim"s revolutionary F.A.R. Synthesis and the genius who was developing it. I still haven"t forgiven Gibson.

Henry J hosed Neat Microphones when they were just getting started too - founded by the founder of Blue Microphones. Great stuff too, I have a Neat King Bee and a pair of Worker Bees and they are excellent.

Henry J is gone for good, the new owners need to be given a chance. I think they are going to focus on guitars and guitar related products. They've had a huge hole in the amplifier line for a LONG time, hence purchasing Mesa.

Randall Smith is another who has more than done his time and probably wants to retire, he's been an amp guru since the late 60's. If the new owners of Gibson hose Mesa, there will be serious backlash for that move.

I'm all for giving them a chance since they are new and not Henry J.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I don't think you'll see Gibson on an acquisition spree any time soon, if ever. The amp thing makes sense, they need to fill that hole. But my understanding from the people who are still there is that Gibson is all about guitars, at least for the foreseeable future.

As to Dave Smith, what he's doing makes total sense, and Novation has a history of taking care of its brands.

F*** Gibson. Legally harassing Heritage who abided completely to the original 1985 agreements. Maybe it"s KKR behind the litigation but ... KKR is Gibson

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The olichargification of the electronic synthesizer design and manufacturing might be the logical result of economic considerations but I do not entirely follow the reasoning to combine audio interfaces with two competing (?) synthesizer makers. WHat is Dave going to learn from Novation, or what is the point of getting Novation's designers in the same company?

T.

There's more to running a company than R&D. Shared sales, distribution, finance, and legal representation can help a small company focus product. Even manufacturing can benefit from economies of scale when several brands are being represented in negotiations. The hard part is finding like-minded individuals without an agenda of their own to work with. If Dave has found that? This could well be a very positive step.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

The olichargification of the electronic synthesizer design and manufacturing might be the logical result of economic considerations but I do not entirely follow the reasoning to combine audio interfaces with two competing (?) synthesizer makers. WHat is Dave going to learn from Novation, or what is the point of getting Novation's designers in the same company?

T.

That's been Yamaha approach going way back acquiring companies and slowly taking the technologies and rolling them in to their own.

T.

That's been Yamaha approach going way back acquiring companies and slowly taking the technologies and rolling them in to their own.

fwiw, Yamaha acquired Line 6 in 2013, and formed Yamaha Guitar Group, a US-based subsidiary, to develop Line 6 and Ampeg products directly. But so far they haven't made a big deal out of leveraging Line 6 tech into other Yamaha products, other than the Variax guitar they collaborated on.

They also seem to be leaving Steinberg alone for the most part despite owning that company for more than 15 years.

Also Buchla, after the passing of Don Buchla.

Oh fuck, I didn't realize Don had passed! 5 years ago too. I went to school with his kid. And I cut my teeth on a Buchla200. That really sucks.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

T.

fwiw, Yamaha acquired Line 6 in 2013, and formed Yamaha Guitar Group, a US-based subsidiary, to develop Line 6 and Ampeg products directly. But so far they haven't made a big deal out of leveraging Line 6 tech into other Yamaha products, other than the Variax guitar they collaborated on.

They also seem to be leaving Steinberg alone for the most part despite owning that company for more than 15 years.

That's why I said slowly because it engineers from the acquired products start getting lent out to other projects brings along bits and bytes. That's why deals like that usually have some language stating price based on engineer retention by new company. I know from being part of deals like that.

T.

That's why I said slowly because it engineers from the acquired products start getting lent out to other projects brings along bits and bytes. That's why deals like that usually have some language stating price based on engineer retention by new company. I know from being part of deals like that.

How slowly are we talking? They bought Steinberg in 2004. No Yamaha Cubase yet.

F*** Gibson. Legally harassing Heritage who abided completely to the original 1985 agreements. Maybe it"s KKR behind the litigation but ... KKR is Gibson

Blaming Gibson as a company makes little sense, he company is over 100 years old.

Gibson has had a diverse, divided and divisive history, not because the company itself is in constant conflict but due to who was on top at the time.

In the early 60's they could not sell enough traditional Les Pauls to bother making them.

That has changed. Henry J did a great job at first and then he got way too ambitious for his own good, made some poor decisions and took the company down with him.

How is that "Gibson's" fault? They are a company of guitar builders led by sometimes questionable individuals and not just once.

They are under new leadership. I'm all for giving them a chance to bring Gibson back around, I don't think they bought it to run it into the ground - that makes no sense.

No. It is under the new holding company that this campaign of legal harassment crap started.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

No. It is under the new holding company that this campaign of legal harassment crap started.

OK, I didn't know that. Pretty pointless considering all the "almost Gibson-ish" variants that are being made by the buttload all over the world. My "newest" Gibson is 1986, a 335. Working on a late 50's / early 60's single cut Melody Maker that has been boogered to the point that restoration is impossible, it becomes a hot-rodded player.

Bought and sold 9 Les Pauls, done trying to play such an unyieldingly unplayable 2 ton piece of crap. If I wanted the high frets to be difficult to maneuver and my shoulder to hurt, I'd get another one.

Not a fan of lawyers vs lawyers, only lawyers win that game. The only way Heritage will lose that one is if they run out of legal funds...