Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Focusrite acquiring Sequential.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, while i understand that it may make a lot of sense industrially, from some point of view it doesn't sound right.

I mean, Dave Smith came from a time single people made a difference, and it was somehow symbolic that he could got his business back on feet and his Sequential name back.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Makes sense.... succession planning being an important one. Probably will want to start pulling back from the business aspect in a few years...

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

According to CDM, Focusrite has taken good care of Novation, so they'll probably take good care of Sequential.

https://cdm.link/2021/04/sequential-is-now-a-fully-owned-focusrite-subsidiary-dave-smith-announcement/?fbclid=IwAR0YbeDcSBvNOrBE_zGfWcFV5NnrqdxdqKcR-HJefg8BKBHgJ-zsyVSNUXg

Dave Smith mentions Novation in the video. Novation with Sequential, uh, circuits inside can get the Prophet sound into more hands.

I actually see this as a positive. In the past, DSI and now Sequential have had to make a choice between going small and affordable with virtual analog, or big and expensive with real analog. This opens the possibility of scaling up production of smaller and more affordable synthesizers with Sequential quality and real analog sound.

Besides, of all the larger product groups to do this, offhand I can"t think of one that would be better for Dave than Focusrite. They have been incredibly supportive and respectful to every brand that they have taken in. Better them than Gibson or InMusic... or B*hr*ng*r.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Well, at least it wasn"t Behringer

Behringer"s parent company Music Group has been making chips through its Coolaudio subsidiary for 17 years, and as Uli Behringer has noted, its products have also been used by Dave Smith Instruments and Elektron to make their own gear.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I second Dr. Mike"s opinion. Focusrite have, so far, proven themselves to be a good home for premium brands, and I think this will lead to good things for synth buyers. Besides, Dave has to want to retire at some point and ride his bicycle around Europe, and I"m guessing he got a nice payout while getting to stay on as salaried head honcho.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I'm assuming that Dave is on board and thinks the company will be in good hands. And honestly - what else is there to make for his market? He's taken the Sequential analog template through all manner of enhancements and updates - and now full circle with the reissue of the Prophet 5.

An OBX reissue I suppose...

Anyway this gives him a chance to expand his market and maybe relax a little - and speaking as someone roughly his age I can appreciate that.

Beyond the golden parachute, this should be a great way for Dave Smith to feel secure whenever he does retire knowing that his technology and brand is in capable hands. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Stephen

'

Agreed. Dave has given his life to synth development. He's no spring chicken and should be ready to work less and enjoy life a little more.

He's earned it.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Having a parent company to deal with day-to-day administration, distribution, legal nuisances, and finance can be a very good thing so long as the subsidiaries are entrusted to chart their own paths with limited interference. I didn't even realize Focusrite was behind the scenes with Novation or Adam, so I trust that Sequential will also continue to maintain a strong independent identity while benefiting from being part of a larger organization.

Dave Smith strikes me as someone who was always happiest focusing on tinkering with the next product, so hopefully this move will let him do just that - when he's not kicking back and relaxing.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

He's 71yrs old and not stupid. Still has his health...as far as I know.

Some guys don't want to die on the job, and he's certainly earned whatever payday he was able to negotiate. Good for him.

Selfishly I'm hoping he still carries some weight and inspiration over there for at least the immediate future, but I think we might be at "peak analog".

Look at what modellers are doing to the guitar industry. It took a while but even the cork sniffing tube snobs are dwindling in numbers and Line6, Fractal and Kemper are clearly the future trend.

As much as I love my hardware synths, I realize that they're fun studio toys. I gig and record mostly with VSTs.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if I'm wrong though.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Yikes, first Mesa and now Sequential. The SF Bay Area is losing its prestige brands.

And I'm not saying the new owners will ruin anything; it's just sad for me as I have some pride in my area';s contributions to the audio world (especially after 21 years with the top pro audio manufacturer, pre-pandemic).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

BTW Focusrite is a great company, and probably the best partners available to Dave as he plans his succession.

I'm less optimistic about Mesa under Gibson's stewardship, but we shall see.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Yikes, first Mesa and now Sequential. The SF Bay Area is losing its prestige brands.

And I'm not saying the new owners will ruin anything; it's just sad for me as I have some pride in my area';s contributions to the audio world (especially after 21 years with the top pro audio manufacturer, pre-pandemic).

The legacy remains, Dave Smith and Randall Smith have both earned a place in music history. Nobody lives forever (or wants to).

Let the torch be passed, it is good. Focusrite is a fine company and regarding Mesa - we have to give the new owners of Gibson their chance. The last crew made some fatal mistakes but in the long term Gibson is an iconic company with a prestigious past and hopefully a great future. Imagine the Les Paul and all music associated with it simply disappearing.

Maybe I am just an optimist but let it be so.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.