Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best resources for learning Hammond Bass pedals

So, after a few months of back and forth with my tech, including complications due to Covid restrictions and him having surgery, I got my A100/Leslie 21 setup working, and for the first time in my life I have a full Hammond console with pedals and bench. I am pretty much beyond stoked by this, it's been a dream for as long as I can remember.

I really, really want to learn to kick pedals. My LH bass skills are decent, but I pretty much know what I need to do to get the skills together (i.e., practice). But the LH/Pedal connection is completely new to me. I'm ordering a couple books, and will probably try to get some online lessons, and I'm looking for any recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing you need to do is to learn to 'thump" or 'tap" any note lightly to create a bigger sound underneath your LH bass line. This takes time and your leg will get sore. Use a metronome on beats 2 & 4 and if you can make that groovy, you"re well on your way. Then add accents to specific notes, and play these bass pedals long enough to actually hear their pitch.

Also, play ballads, taking your left hand off the keys. Hit me up for a short lesson if you want - I can show you in 10 minutes.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

The first thing you need to do is to learn to 'thump" or 'tap" any note lightly to create a bigger sound underneath your LH bass line. This takes time and your leg will get sore. Use a metronome on beats 2 & 4 and if you can make that groovy, you"re well on your way. Then add accents to specific notes, and play these bass pedals long enough to actually hear their pitch.

Also, play ballads, taking your left hand off the keys. Hit me up for a short lesson if you want - I can show you in 10 minutes.

Your post reminded me that I have a copy of your dissertation on my iPad, I think I"ll spend some time getting your bass and rhythm transcriptions under my fingers and then hit you up for that lesson. Thanks!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

When I was in college in the early 70s I worked out of a book called First Elements of Organ Technic by Arthur B. Jennings. It has many pedal exercises using heel and toe with both feet. Since it was intended for classical training the exercises cover the full AGO 32-note range. This book has a permanent home on my C3 music rack and I still find it valuable for pedal practice. It may be out of print but used copies should be available with some searches.

s-l300.jpg

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

It depends on what you want to accomplish. If you still plan on covering bass with your left hand then simple staccato tapping on a pedal of your choice (some say use the root of the tune, others say it doesn't matter, go for what sounds right to you). But you used the term 'kick pedals' which to me means covering the bass part with your foot/feet. If that is the case, then learning and practicing proper pedal technique would be very beneficial. When in school, one of the books I used was called called 'System of Technical Studies in Pedal Playing', By Lars Nilson. I imagine any book you find nowadays that details the technique of heel/toe playing would be fine. If you search Barbara Dennerlein, you will see that she uses just her toe, and does it really well. But for us mere humans, the heel/toe method is at least well worth knowing how to do. My early learning approach was to play left hand bass while mirroring the same line with my foot. Eventually the 'bass line' connection was re-routed to my foot. Fact is, I kick pedals far better than I do left hand bass. It seems a pity to waste a hand on single notes when it could be used for comping, enjoying a tasty beverage, or whatever.

Also, make sure the bench if far enough forward. It should be supporting your legs, not just your cheeks. :) When you relax your legs, you left foot should natural dangle above the F pedal. And while you are apt to move around a bit on the bench, try to stay centered and keep your knees more together than splayed apart. All of this has to do with teaching your legs/brain muscle memory so you don't have to search for the right pedal (no looking down) :)

Most important, enjoy your A-100!

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

It depends on what you want to accomplish. If you still plan on covering bass with your left hand then simple staccato tapping on a pedal of your choice (some say use the root of the tune, others say it doesn't matter, go for what sounds right to you). But you used the term 'kick pedals' which to me means covering the bass part with your foot/feet. If that is the case, then learning and practicing proper pedal technique would be very beneficial. When in school, one of the books I used was called called 'System of Technical Studies in Pedal Playing', By Lars Nilson. I imagine any book you find nowadays that details the technique of heel/toe playing would be fine. If you search Barbara Dennerlein, you will see that she uses just her toe, and does it really well. But for us mere humans, the heel/toe method is at least well worth knowing how to do. My early learning approach was to play left hand bass while mirroring the same line with my foot. Eventually the 'bass line' connection was re-routed to my foot. Fact is, I kick pedals far better than I do left hand bass. It seems a pity to waste a hand on single notes when it could be used for comping, enjoying a tasty beverage, or whatever.

Also, make sure the bench if far enough forward. It should be supporting your legs, not just your cheeks. :) When you relax your legs, you left foot should natural dangle above the F pedal. And while you are apt to move around a bit on the bench, try to stay centered and keep your knees more together than splayed apart. All of this has to do with teaching your legs/brain muscle memory so you don't have to search for the right pedal (no looking down) :)

Most important, enjoy your A-100!

Thanks for the info! I think my short term goal is learn the tapping thing, with an ultimate goal of learning heel/toe. Mostly, I just wanna play this thing in the "classic" style and sound convincing enough. I think that some of my favorite organ guys, like Dr. Lonnie or Delvon Lamar do some kind of combination of playing pedals and LH bass with tapping. Watching Delvon videos, it seems like he's playing LH bass throughout, but downbeats, and certain other strong beats, are emphasized by the pedals. His left foot is clearly moving across the pedalboard, but his bass lines are often moving faster than his foot, if that makes any sense.

I am enjoying the Hell out of the A100!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper