Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Very OT; recover pictures/data

my girlfriend was copying pictures from her iPhone to the PC. Because the disk of the PC was full I didn't manage to copy all the pictures. 80% was copied. She removed the this 80% and while trying to make room for all the pictures on the hard disk, she accidentally removed the directory with the pictures from the iPhone.

I tried a lot of recovery programs, but either they all do not work, or I am too stupid. Most of them have a free version to try to find the files, and you can upgrade to a paid version if you found your files. I am happy to pay, but I didn't have any luck finding the pictures. I tried recovering the directory on the iPhone, or search for the 80% of pictures that where copied to the PC. Both without succes. A lot of the programs don't find the pictures. Some of the programs maybe find them (they show pictures from a date which is possible) but then no preview is there and the file size is 0 kb.

(and yeah, iCloud, I told her already 1000x...)

Rudy

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long ago was it? IPhone keeps the pictures for 30 days after deleting. Just go to the albums, and the last option should be the deleted items.

I didn't understand the part of the PC - she copied 80% of the images and then deleted it? They don't show up on the Recycle Bin? If the hard disk was full, then likely they got overwritten.

It's been a while since I've used any data recovery software, so can't suggest anything here.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Thanks for the reaction. The pictures don"t show up at recently deleted pictures as she deleted the folder via the PC, when the iPhone was connected to it. She physically removed the directory with window explorer.

She copied almost all her pictures to the pc, but then the PC disk was full. She then deleted wat was copied, also emptied the recycle bin (to make room). After that she wanted to make more room on the pc and accidentally removed the stuff from her phone, which was still connected.

Rudy

It is an iPhone, what platform is the computer?

I use the Mac platform.

Sometimes things get renamed when they are suspended in RAM and abruptly aborted (it is like a precautionary protection in cache stage) or go into a deep layer hold which requires a deeper delete option than the usual "Empty Trash."

When searching the results look for patterns and groupings of files that might be this group of images.

It has been several years and it is possible new security measures have changed things but I was able to identify some files not immediately recognized and to also locate many files buried deep in my system when a hard drive failed using software. They had been given new names. I was able to open one and see its contents. I gathered all of these files and saved them to a good drive. I later went through inspecting all of them one by one deciding which to keep and delete.

Pc, windows 10

OK things could be fundamentally similar with regards to how I described identifying potential files to keep.

Tip: Next time COPY, do not MOVE, files so the originals are never suspended in the process between origin and destination. During the transition files can get corrupted.

Once the files are confirmed to be fully copied and you can open them from the destination then it is safe to delete the originals from the source location.

An extension of this philosophy is also to never work on an original file. Make a copy to work with and set the original aside.

How did she delete the items from the iPhone?

As mentioned, by default, the phone keeps deleted photos for thirty days.

In the Photos App, under 'Albums', at the very bottom there is one called 'Recently deleted'.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

(and yeah, iCloud, I told her already 1000x...)

I'm sure Apple would get heat for making iCloud storage the default instead of something you have to enable, but wow is it easy. This brings to mind the saying "there are two types of computer people.... those that have lost data, and those that will" (or something like that!). I think most of us have been there. Just slide that little switch:

IMG-3500-BDA43896-1.jpg

I recently had to upgrade from the 50GB plan (.99/month) to the 200GB ($3/month) but I share it with my family so that's .99/month x2 saved (they each had 50GB plans like I did).

iCloud's "Maildrop" feature is nice too: attach a file up to 5GB to an email, click "send" and choose "use Maildrop" when the alert pops up, done - no futzing with Dropbox, wetransfer, yousendit, etc. I'm pretty sure you can do this from the iPhone as well as the Mac. I know I sound like a fanboy but these are really convenient and time-saving features imo.

Good luck getting those pics back!