Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GSi VB3m for Android!

VB3m runs great on without hickups on my iPadMini2, iPhone7 and 2017 iPadPro10.5.

AUM and streambyter or Mozaic is the answer to all that is still missing in VB3m.

Running VB3m AUv3 in AUM You can set the buffer settings, store presets, filter channels

etc. You can write all Your mappings in Mozaic and be done.

Why not map directly in AUM?

Yes, this works. Through AUM, I got VB3m mapped to most everything that I needed from an old midi keyboard combined with a Voce Midi Drawbar unit. Having said that, I"m still looking forward to being able to do that directly from with VB3m itself when the update comes.

In reading some posts it appears that VB3m carries two different internal leslie options where the Mojo and Gemini only carry one. Can anyone comment on the differences in the two leslies? Is one better than the other, specifically if the 2nd option (which is not on the Gemini) sounds better than the leslie offered in the Gemini?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

And there are some boards with clonewheel engines that do allow you to define ther sliders to send whatever CCs you want... someone somewhere mentioned that the Korg CX3 did this (and of course, Kronos does)... also Numa Compact 2X, Kurzweil Artis 7... so this should be a pretty painless way to upgrade the organ engines in those boards.

I can confirm that the digital Korg CX3 can define CC"s for all drawbars and most other of the control buttons. However to my knowledge the Kronos use sys ex and the sys ex strings depends on which part of a combination which control the organ. OB Dave know a lot about this, I interacted with him by monitoring the strings sent by my Kronos when he implemented support for the Kronos on his excellent Ocean Beach DB-1 drawbar controller. It might be different in program mode, but then you miss a lot of functionality.

In reading some posts it appears that VB3m carries two different internal leslie options where the Mojo and Gemini only carry one. Can anyone comment on the differences in the two leslies? Is one better than the other, specifically if the 2nd option (which is not on the Gemini) sounds better than the leslie offered in the Gemini?

The second leslie is farther miced and more mid congested. Parameters on both models are not adjustable. The first is better for my uses.

FunMachine.

I can confirm that the digital Korg CX3 can define CC"s for all drawbars and most other of the control buttons. However to my knowledge the Kronos use sys ex and the sys ex strings depends on which part of a combination which control the organ. OB Dave know a lot about this, I interacted with him by monitoring the strings sent by my Kronos when he implemented support for the Kronos on his excellent Ocean Beach DB-1 drawbar controller.

All correct... but while the CX3 controls on the Kronos are sysex, the Kronos still lets you define the sliders to send out MIDI CCs. The sysex limitation comes into play when you you want to have an external device control the CX3 engine in the Kronos, but in this case, we're kind of doing the reverse, having the Kronos' sliders control some external device.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The second leslie is farther miced and more mid congested. Parameters on both models are not adjustable.

The one leslie in the Gemini is pretty adjustable... including mic angle and distance, and horn EQ

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I defined the CC´s on my CX3 to control the main parameters, but I found out the parameters were gone when I turned the keyboard off. Is it supposed to work that way? I saved it into the program and it didnt work.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

At the mo the app works in the background. Apps like Korg Module have the option to run in the background or not. I like this feature as I can just switch manually and avoid using another app to route MIDI to them. A typical example for me is Model D and Korg Module. It might seem basic but having used apps like MidiFlow and iMidiPatchbay that extra layer is just another thing to worry about if you are thinking about using them live.

Just double checking that first sentence... without running any other app, VB3m runs in the background (i.e. if the app is running, background audio is always on)? Because SHonka in post #3092024 in the thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3091066/crackling-triggering-ios-apps-from-my-yc61 says it's not working that way for him/her.

BTW running these apps with IDAM is a breeze compared to my old iConnectMidi2.

What's IDAM?

At the mo the app works in the background. Apps like Korg Module have the option to run in the background or not. I like this feature as I can just switch manually and avoid using another app to route MIDI to them. A typical example for me is Model D and Korg Module. It might seem basic but having used apps like MidiFlow and iMidiPatchbay that extra layer is just another thing to worry about if you are thinking about using them live.

Just double checking that first sentence... without running any other app, VB3m runs in the background (i.e. if the app is running, background audio is always on)? Because SHonka in post #3092024 in the thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3091066/crackling-triggering-ios-apps-from-my-yc61 says it's not working that way for him/her

Yes VB3m is always running and audio is always on. Example: VB3m and Module loaded, then switch to Module you can still play and control VB3m when it's in the background. Or put simply VB3m does not need to be in the foreground to work.

BTW running these apps with IDAM is a breeze compared to my old iConnectMidi2.

What's IDAM?

With Inter-Device Audio and MIDI you can just connect your iPad and use Logic etc.to play/record audio from your iPad synths.

"Inter-Device Audio and MIDI (IDAM) enables you to record digital audio from an iOS device without using special cables or an audio interface. It also lets you transmit MIDI messages between an iOS device and your Mac, which simplifies the configuration of an iOS sampler or synthesizer app as an external MIDI instrument. You enable these features by connecting an iOS device to your Mac using a standard Lightning cable and enabling IDAM in Audio MIDI Setup."

You can even aggregate them so you could use your iPhone and your iPad if you have both, at the same time.

The CC"s are not edited per program but in the CX3"s Global Mode. The manual describes the procedure to save the edited global parameters on page 21:

https://cdn.korg.com/us/support/download/files/75125fa07835b1450357758751304a2f.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline%3Bfilename%3DCX3_OM_E4.pdf&response-content-type=application%2Fpdf%3B

Worked so well! Thanks! My CX3 turned into (almost) a Mojo! Would love to see live with a band.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

If I'm going to spend 1k (just a guess) on a controller for a $13 app I'm hoping GSI has plans to develop the parameters of vb3m extensively and get the latency down to half of what it is now ( like the fm-synth app) and make sure the controller is compatible with b3x.

FunMachine.

If I'm going to spend 1k (just a guess) on a controller for a $13 app...

The fact that it has pitch/mod wheels indicates that it is envisioned as being useful for something other than an organ app.

Ummm, how about a nice organ for $1500......the Mojo 61.

Exactly. I'm not sure why there is quite so much enthusiasm about this, when you can already get that. Is it just the addition of the wheels and/or that it is powered by USB? Maybe the expectation that it will be cheaper?

Ummm, how about a nice organ for $1500......the Mojo 61.

Exactly. I'm not sure why there is quite so much enthusiasm about this, when you can already get that. Is it just the addition of the wheels and/or that it is powered by USB? Maybe the expectation that it will be cheaper?

I think there would be better-placed interest in a single manual controller with two sets of drawbars, organ-centric rockers plus a set of patch-selection switches. The FB prototype doesn't go far enough.

Here for the gear.

73/76 keys would make it piano viable, 61 keys is just too restrictive. This could be his opportunity to offer various controller options, i.e. 61 keys, 76 keys, 88 keys, with/without Gemini, one, two, three sets of drawbars, pick your own keybed. Imagine the possibilities, solve everyone's wants/needs. Why not think out of the box?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

What would interest me about this would be if it were 73 keys (C to C) with aftertouch. Even better if it has some basic patch change functions, e.g. 16 Program Select buttons above the keys which could be toggled between functioning to change MIDI channel, or calling up a set of 16 Program Changes, or calling up an alternate set of 16 Program Changes (i.e. Bank A, Bank B), or functioning as numeric entry for specifying what Program Changes those 32 locations should be calling up. Simple, but useful. (As few as 8 buttons would still be useful, and/or if you needed an app to program in the program changes instead of being able to do it right from the board.)

Have Crumar hijacked this idea from GSi/GM Labs? I know they work together but when Guido first posted the idea I'm sure he said it would be a GM Labs product, only available ready built, but still customisable and based on Arduino. This would distinguish it from the professional range like the Mojo and the Gemini. There is no point in GM Labs over thinking this by adding another set of drawbars or putting a Gemini inside it, because GSi already sell the DMC-122. The Mojo covers all the organ bases, the Seven does all the pianos and the Gemini, as the name says, is just about 2 of everything you would ever need.

But I'm hoping this will still be aimed at the DIY market and home studios - people who dabble in a bit of programming, electronics and play a bit too. Based on his other projects and the cost of raw materials - the Fatar TP8O isn't cheap - I hope it will cost around £500. That's just under half the price of the DMC-122 in the UK.

Too many to list and I haven't tried it out yet. But pretty much everything that was kvetched about, even by me. Lots of midi mapping. Saving presets. Selectable buffers. And more....

Great news! I have installed it in my old ipad 3 and aside some crackling here and there, it rolls smooth. Hope that is solved too, looking forward to try when it´s available on apple.

Not available for my ipad yet, but it´s on google play already (did not appear on my phone, just when I searched it via computer). Here´s what´s new:

- Added 2 parameters: Mic Balance, Mic Distance

- Global tuning between A=430 Hz and A=450 Hz

- Custom Midi Map with Midi Learn

- Option to invert all drawbar CC values

- Selectable Midi channels

- Sustain pedal option for sustaining notes

- Program bank with 32 memory location

- Custom Program Change assignment

- Latency option

- Background audio option

Curious specially to see how these two new features work:

- Program bank with 32 memory location

- Custom Program Change assignment

What is the latency option supposed to do? Wouldn't the goal be to minimize latency? What does the option provide and what are pros/cons of enabling/disabling this option?

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Have Crumar hijacked this idea from GSi/GM Labs? I know they work together but when Guido first posted the idea I'm sure he said it would be a GM Labs product, only available ready built, but still customisable and based on Arduino. This would distinguish it from the professional range like the Mojo and the Gemini. There is no point in GM Labs over thinking this by adding another set of drawbars or putting a Gemini inside it, because GSi already sell the DMC-122. The Mojo covers all the organ bases, the Seven does all the pianos and the Gemini, as the name says, is just about 2 of everything you would ever need.

But I'm hoping this will still be aimed at the DIY market and home studios - people who dabble in a bit of programming, electronics and play a bit too. Based on his other projects and the cost of raw materials - the Fatar TP8O isn't cheap - I hope it will cost around £500. That's just under half the price of the DMC-122 in the UK.

The one keyboard that is missing from the offerings is a single manual controller with 73 or 76 semi-weighted keys in order to extend the keyboard for acoustic/electric piano, drawbars and an optional Gemini module (I call this keyboard the the Electro killer). Many people have asked for this keyboard option but it's never been delivered. I'll bet that his most recent highest selling item is the Mojo 61. When the Mojo came out it was a dual manual organ; people wanted a single manual keyboard. When Guido was asked if he would ever consider a single manual Mojo, his answer was "Nojo". Look how successful that keyboard turned out to be. As a user and customer the lack of a single manual 73/76 key controller with drawbars and a Gemini module frustrates me. Why doesnt he have a custom shop where different configurations of his items (dual manual, single manual, drawbars, gemini, other items he's created, choosing your own keybed) can be offered?

Delaware Dave

Exit93band