Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: thanks mom

My mom paid for my piano lessons, took me to recitals and a theory tutor. She encouraged practice, even if it was so she could 'hear something nice' when I hated the piece :D

The piano I learned on was a Howard upright that she bought years before my birth.

She listened patiently when I asked her to check out a Peter Gabriel or Rush song (and as a much older parent, she was two musical generations behind me... zero rock 'n roll on her youth).

She listened to me geek out on synths.

She warned against full-time music anything â something I bowed to then struggled to reconcile for a long time â but she herself was an artist who had to juggle very real family concerns and a desire to paint. For her, any creative/artistic ability was a gift to be enjoyed, regardless of profession.

She passed last Saturday, age 92. Even when she wasn"t quite sure who I was, she was aware that I played music, and that made her happy.

Here"s to the moms and other loved ones who helped us on our journeys.

-John

I make software noises.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John, so sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for sharing your reflections on the musical connection that you had with your mom. You made me think a bit about my folks, who seem to be rapidly aging before my eyes. My mom was my first music teacher and my dad put up half the dough for my Hammond M101 and even built a slick chopped cabinet for it. When I was a teacher my advice to my students was often 'Make your parents proud.' Sounds to me like you did that.

Good memories John. Like others, my mother was my first piano teacher. I was about five I guess. I remember her getting frustrated with me because I couldn't figure out what triplets were. Then she hired a teacher.

In your case, you asked her to listen to Peter Gabriel or Rush or something, In my case it was something from the Hendrix era. She said it was boring. I was nonplussed.

She passed a couple of years ago at 94 in a "memory care unit".

I'm lifting a glass here to our musical moms.

She lived a full life but it is never easy. I"m so sorry for your loss. My Mom also supported my music career and bought my C7 by taking out a loan in the 80"s, walking with a fist of hard earned money to the local bank every month until paid off. It"s been a while since she passed but I still get choked up at random moments, particularly around the piano.My thoughts are with you.

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

-John

My condolences,- I feel w/ you !

My mom passed away feb.10 ... age 100.

I cared for her since pa died end of jan 2015,- age 93.

We again lived together in our old house since april 2016.

No dementia but eyesight approx. 3% only,- so she needed my every day help.

We had good and funny times in the yard again, but dark winter was a challenge always.

Hard to accept parents are gone when all their love, care and support made it possible to be a musician.

A.C.

I'm sorry for your loss. You have beautiful memories, someday we will all become beautiful memories to somebody.

Family members are a treasure beyond price. Mom and Dad are gone for some time and my siblings all live off yonder a bit.

I've found family here, I am grateful for that more than anything. Best, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'm sorry to hear of your mother's passing. Peace be with you as well as comfort during this difficult time. My grandmother, who passed some years ago, was my first teacher really. We still have pictures of her and I when I was only two years old, assembling a piano bench and us sitting at the piano with me exploring it. Without her I may never have been interested in music. After that my mother took over for a short time and then found me a teacher when I was 5.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Thanks for sharing your touching story.

My parents gave me a deep appreciation for the Great American Songbook. For both of them, as their bodies outlived their minds by a few years, our most meaningful communication was me playing, in person or over video, songs like "Fly Me to the Moon" or "Ain't Misbehavin" and seeing the glint of recognition and happiness in their faces. I doubt any of us ever imagined, back when they were spinning Ella and Frank records for me, that the story would end that way, but it was a blessing.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm sorry to hear of your mom's passing, John. That was a very fitting tribute. I have a similar story about my mom, who also died this year - back in January. My dad was a great supporter of my music as well, and he was the one who got the ball rolling with my piano lessons. And so I'm I very glad that my step-daughter started her five year old with piano lessons recently. We've been doing virtual lessons, as they're based in Colorado. Feels good to keep spreading music forward.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

My condolences, John.

My cousin played a Hammond, I think a C-3. It was a huge and intimidating thing, but I was fascinated by it. Neither of my parents were very musical, nor played music instruments, but could see how infatuated I was with it. One night I remember them talking at the kitchen table about how they'd be able to pay for something, but when I walked in the conversation stopped and I didn't know what it was they were discussing (but figured it out later). I came home one day, a month or so later, from a school function, and there was an L-100 in our front room. I was floored. I was around 10 at the time and I've played ever since.

As I look back on it now, we were barely middle class in the mid 60's, and I know that organ was a huge outlay. So, so grateful for the kind of parents they were, what they did for me, and what it's done in my life. They're both gone now many years. I miss them every day.

I wish you solace in this difficult time.

"May you stay...forever young."

John,

I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm sure that's so hard.

I appreciate what you've shared here as it is inspirational and causes us all to stop and think about the things that are important. BTW, your topic is in no way OT.

A few of my shared thoughts regarding parental support, Here's a few snapshots of the investment my parents made into my musical craft and journey.

- When I was five years old, standing at the piano while my Mom played. She was only an ear player and only played in the key of C.

- Learning on a $25 piano that came out of a bar.

- Paying for lessons from when I was 6 until I was 16.

- My parents spending nearly $3K on a new Kimball piano when I was a teenager, so I'd have a better opportunity to learn. (This was back in the 70's, so that investment was siginificant.)

- Over my early/teen/young adult years, my parents bought organs, amps, PA's, EP's, a van, etc., etc. These were all sacrificial investments they made into my music, and the money always came from something else that may have been needed in the household.

I'll close with two thoughts.

1) My Mom has a picture of me playing the piano, dressed in my football uniform, waiting to go to practice. She'd put the kitchen timer on the piano, set it for 30 minutes and told me she wanted to hear piano playing until it dinged. I often hated it. The discipline of practicing was tough. That discipline was important.

2) Since I teach now, I always tell my students and their parents, if it weren't for parents (or some other loving person) that were willing to make the investment in the lives of children, there would be no music in the world. Perhaps this is a debateable statement to some, but I beleive this will ring true with most musicians.

Thank you again for sharing and causing me to think of these personal blessings and the gratitude I can have for my parents investment in me.

P.S. My parents know they made a good investment because they see what important music is to me and how I've continued to grow. There's great joy in that!

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Condolences John. Some wonderful tributes to mothers here.

I lost my mother about six weeks ago - she was a huge influence on me by encouraging me to stick with piano lessons when I was young, and was always singing.

She and my dad (who passed away last summer) both supported me as a teenager in pursuing my music in the face of some stiff opposition from their church - I think it cost them far more than i realised at the time.

She passed away with me beside her, Vaughan Williams' Prelude to the 49th Parallel playing in the background on Classic FM (a radio station in the UK).

Phil

My mother was my first piano teacher too. She passed a long time ago, way too young. Weirdly, within this hour I was kind of randomly missing my parents.

I think she wanted me to play in church more and with the blokes less...but I think in the end she was happy how my musical journey played out.

My condolences.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

So sorry about your loss John, such nice memories you shared.

I could relate in that my parents also came of age in the pre rock era. I used to a bit envious of some my friends that had hippie parents, but now I"m grateful to have been raised by the ' greatest generation' along with full exposure to the Great American Song Book.

My parents were Glenn Miller etc. swing band fans. Which led to an ironic moment when they came back from a Count Basie concert and complained about all the old men in the band. Meanwhile their rock and roll son was incredulous because I knew that band MUST have been swinging like crazy.

Moe

---

Sorry for your loss.

My mother was done with raising children by the time I was born. Even when she would rather do something else, would frequently send me away to play by myself and was longing to start a career she took time and had enough natural talent that she was able to show me a direction when I demonstrated interest and natural ability in art at a very young age. She cared while she wasn't in a place to devote all her attention on me. You may ponder it or avoid thinking about it inevitably happening but when that person no longer is alive anywhere on the Earth you realize how much they mattered in ways you could not foresee.

The week she passed away it felt like she came to me strong and I sensed her pure like a child who only knows life as Mommy and not Mommy. The funeral home needs someone to identify the body before they bury/cremate to confirm it is the correct person. Somehow without the tension of her burdens in life she gained years of youth and her physical beauty shined. Unless you were cultivated and spent the first 9 months of existence in a laboratory you come to life very close to your mother, (surrogates, orphans, adoptees, etc. aside). Mothers are truly special.

After she passed away I looked through her life in pictures and memorabilia with a different perspective. Her childhood pictures, that child's life had begun and ended. I looked at that child knowing what her future was to be. I had other experiences (I am sort of here and simultaneously participating aware of other dimensions) but through her death I had this opportunity to sense with greater awareness of her lifeless body and the sensation of her coming to me after she passed away to experience how we are more than what we are while living our life.