Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GSi VB3m for Android!

I bought this and while it sounds good, the fixed CCs makes it difficult to use with either my Electro or Hammond SK2 as I can"t control the swell or Leslie speed. Changing the Leslie speed via the touchscreen seems a bit hit and miss. I think they could at least have offered option to alternate the CCs for Leslie speed between 1 or 64 and the swell between either 7 or 11 as the Korg Module does.

I"ve been a long time fan and user of VB3 on the Mac and a mainstay of my live rig consisted of VB3 running it on a VMachine, if anyone remembers that, but the iOS version seems a bit rushed and half baked to me. For the first time ever I"ve gone through Apple"s process to get a refund on an app.

Nord Electro 6D 61, Wurlitzer EP200A, Neo Mini Vent, EV ZLX12P, QSC CP8.

Whoa! Didnt know that, thanks. Cant wait to get my hands on the CX3 and put the two things together. The knobs and buttons can be configured too?

To Mojo Owners that already downloaded it: does the VB3m sound the same as the "original" present on the Mojo?

I think Global/Group 6 does the buttons.

From the GSi Facebook page "it's a mix between the UI elements of VB3-II but with the sound engine of the old VB3 1.4, with a new Bass/Treble EQ and the reverb algorithm of the first Mojo."

I bought this and while it sounds good, the fixed CCs makes it difficult to use with either my Electro or Hammond SK2 as I can"t control the swell or Leslie speed. Changing the Leslie speed via the touchscreen seems a bit hit and miss. I think they could at least have offered option to alternate the CCs for Leslie speed between 1 or 64 and the swell between either 7 or 11 as the Korg Module does.

I"ve been a long time fan and user of VB3 on the Mac and a mainstay of my live rig consisted of VB3 running it on a VMachine, if anyone remembers that, but the iOS version seems a bit rushed and half baked to me. For the first time ever I"ve gone through Apple"s process to get a refund on an app.

I agree with you that it seems a bit rushed. But this is GSi's first release on iOS and when the Korg Module was first realeased that didn't support customisable CCs either. BTW Korg Odyssei still doesn't support custom CCs years after it's release.

I'm betting V1.1 will address this.

I've had an email chat with Guido, and he said that he MIGHT add some channel selection (upper lower pedal) and perhaps editable CC's, but that would be about it for this app.

On the issue of crackling, I've had had none here. (iPad Pro 12" 2nd gen)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I've had an email chat with Guido, and he said that he MIGHT add some channel selection (upper lower pedal) and perhaps editable CC's, but that would be about it for this app.

Hopefully Guido will remain true to form and keep growing/improving this app despite what he says now.

Here for the gear.

Well I just had an email chat with Apple. Actually just a refund request

If editable CCs are a maybe, then maybe I"ll repurchase

For now that"s a deal breaker for me. Too bad because I really like the sound

Of course a developer/manufacturer has full rights to design his product as he/she likes. But the customer has rights to make the purchase decisions. I think I`ll apply for refund.

Jyrki

Nord Stage 3 88, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager OS, Moog Little Phatty TE, Crumar Mojo Classic Suitacase, Kawai US-50 upright, Beltuna Studio 3 and Fantini cassotto accordions

Of course a developer/manufacturer has full rights to design his product as he/she likes. But the customer has rights to make the purchase decisions. I think I`ll apply for refund.

Jyrki

Right? After all the description on the App Store says full midi cc mapping and responds to channels 1,2,3

It"s good to hear you have no clicks. Your iPad has the A10x Fusion chip whereas the fastest iPad/ iPhone I have is the A10. It"s actually more of a pop almost like a very loud key click. Always coincides with a new note/notes being played. Only happens once then you play another bunch of notes and you get a click. it"s not that noticeable.

What is hard to understand is that I get exactly the same with my ancient 2014 iPad Mini. So I"m not convinced it"s a CPU issue. The original VB3 1.4 code must be at least 6-7 years old now. Also I can run a stripped down B-3X on my Mini with a buffer of 256. So maybe as someone said at the start it"s a buffer issue. Maybe it"s optimised for newer iPads.

I hope Guido tweaks it a bit more. OTOH he might just take his bat home given the stick VB3m has received!

I wrote this a few days ago.....

I'm surprised it's been released as is............Knowing that fixed CC's won't cut it and perhaps would limit sales because if your controller is incapable of adjusting its own drawbars and other controllers to match his Fixed CC controllers then that impacts commercialization. I'm a little dumbfounded by the strategy here of the release vs. the limitations and the bitching that will ensue regarding those limitations.

And now I see this:

If editable CCs are a maybe, then maybe I"ll repurchase. For now that"s a deal breaker for me. Too bad because I really like the sound

And this....

And this....

Right? After all the description on the App Store says full midi cc mapping and responds to channels 1,2,3

Didn't take a rocket scientist to predict that this was coming. For me the app will work as I have two controllers that can adjust their controls to map to any CC, but knowing all the products that don't have this capability and the market share that could be obtained by adding these additional controls leaves me SMH. :facepalm::hitt:

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Jyrki

I was asking as I wanted to remap the upper from 1 to 3 and similar changes to the others. Yes it uses 123 but it is fixed.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

haha, don't worry it DOES sound good and one thing I like very much, is the way he has set the brake to the centre of the mod wheel, fast to Mod wheel full and slow to mod wheel off... VERY useable!

Hi,

I also realize now that my previous comment really sounded like whining. That wasn`t exactly my purpose. Was just talking out the normal reaction of a customer when the early exitement turns into partial disappointed.

Nevertheless, I very much think that Guido has been and is doing wonderfull work. It`s just impossible to please everyone, I quess.

Jyrki

Nord Stage 3 88, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager OS, Moog Little Phatty TE, Crumar Mojo Classic Suitacase, Kawai US-50 upright, Beltuna Studio 3 and Fantini cassotto accordions

Guido, disregard the whining. Just get the app on play store and have it work on my note10 with usable latency and I'd pay twice the $15 even with the fixed midi channels.

You kcrs are blowing it for me.

I don"t see it as whining. Actually Guido is getting free market research from some early adopters here Obviously it"s up to him how he acts on that. But if he"s curious why there have been a few refund requests for his app then at least he"s got some information on why that is from this forum.

Nord Electro 6D 61, Wurlitzer EP200A, Neo Mini Vent, EV ZLX12P, QSC CP8.

haha, don't worry it DOES sound good and one thing I like very much, is the way he has set the brake to the centre of the mod wheel, fast to Mod wheel full and slow to mod wheel off... VERY useable!

Amazing, an undiscovered feature that has been the default on the ancient Win 10, and prehistoric, Win 7 and the irrelevent MacOS versions finally finds acceptance now its available as an APP. Can't wait for your next reveal.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Amazing, an undiscovered feature that has been the default on the ancient Win 10, and prehistoric, Win 7 and the irrelevent MacOS versions finally finds acceptance now its available as an APP. Can't wait for your next reveal.

Nothing to do with acceptance m8...just saying I like it being set that way. No need for smart-arse comments. Interesting.

I do not use VB i use another program that does not do that. So yours and chazkeys comments are really quite ignorant of the fact the someone might NOT be using an app/program you are.

Non-flummoxed

PS: (note it actually has two M's)

I wrote this a few days ago.....

I'm surprised it's been released as is............Knowing that fixed CC's won't cut it and perhaps would limit sales because if your controller is incapable of adjusting its own drawbars and other controllers to match his Fixed CC controllers then that impacts commercialization. I'm a little dumbfounded by the strategy here of the release vs. the limitations and the bitching that will ensue regarding those limitations.

And now I see this:

If editable CCs are a maybe, then maybe I"ll repurchase. For now that"s a deal breaker for me. Too bad because I really like the sound

And this....

And this....

Yes, we see 2 folks are asking for refunds, and there may well be others. But your second quote from kwyn I think gets to the heart of the matter, which I also alluded to earlier, about expectations:

it would be better if the App store product description made that clear, which could be done in a "positive" way
I hadn't read the actual app store description at the time. "Full MIDI CC Mapping" is ambiguous. I would re-phrase the feature to something like: "Full MIDI CC Mapping allows you to use any controller or keyboard that has MIDI-definable controls to operate VB3m parameters from your MIDI keyboard." It will work as is with lots of boards (e.g. Kronos, Fantom, numerous Kurzweils, and any soundless controller with enough controls, or I suppose any board supplemented with something like a Korg NanoKontrol or Guido's own drawbar controllers), but a prospective buyer should be able to discern that you would not be able to use the controls that are on most dedicated clonewheels. (Of course, actually adding the feature to change the MIDI CCs would be even better than improving the description to let people know they can't!)

BTW, B-3X at 10x the price has a very similar limitation, there is poor support for MIDI drawbar control if you're trying to set it up with two manuals. Basically, if you are using numerous two manual clones (Nords and Viscounts at least), or if you are "assembling" a two manual organ out of two typical clonewheel-type boards that each have their own drawbars, B-3X will not support drawbars for the lower manual, because while your board is sending out the lower manual notes and lower manual drawbars on the same MIDI channel, B-3X requires that they be on different MIDI channels. Specifically, B-3X requires all drawbars (i.e. for both the upper and lower manuals) to be sending on the same MIDI channel (while their keys are, of course, set to different MIDI channels), while in many (most?) dual manual keyboard setups, the lower manual drawbars will send on the same MIDI channel as the lower manual keys, NOT on the same MIDI channel as the upper manual drawbars. (Whether people have asked for refund because of lack of two manual drawbar support on many/most two manual setups, I don't know!)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Gemini works the same way; lower drawbars have to be sent on the upper channel while the keybed has to be sent on the lower channel. Hammond is even worse, all controllers have to be sent on channel 1 regardless of which midi channel you set as upper channel. So if upper channel is 3 and lower channel is 4, the upper keybed has to be sent on 3, the lower keybed has to be sent on 4 and upper and lower drawbars have to be sent on channel 1.

The issue with VB3m is the appearance of the rushed delivery. The customer expectation appears to be that it is VB3 and related VB3 functionality on the phone but the functionality piece is not completely there and you find out after the purchase.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The Gemini works the same way; lower drawbars have to be sent on the upper channel while the keybed has to be sent on the lower channel.
Ha! That's something I never looked into, good to know. Makes the Gemini a bit less appealing as an enhancement to something like a Nord C1/C2 organ.

Hammond is even worse, all controllers have to be sent on channel 1 regardless of which midi channel you set as upper channel.
More weirdness! It was also recently pointed out to me that percussion and CV aren't standard CCs, either. Makes it trickier to use with any software other than their own co-branded B-3X, which has special presets just for using Hammonds as controllers.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Nothing to do with acceptance m8...just saying I like it being set that way. No need for smart-arse comments. Interesting.

I do not use VB i use another program that does not do that. So yours and chazkeys comments are really quite ignorant of the fact the someone might NOT be using an app/program you are.

Non-flummoxed

PS: (note it actually has two M's)

Well thats way VB1.4 worked for me out of the box in 2012. But more than happy to be called called a "smart arse" by a newby VB3 user who is a member of the advisory board here. Go for it, you should not have to put up with anyone dissing you 'round here. Maybe you should suggest an "unlike" option so smart arses can be put in their place.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I"m having crackling issues with VB3m on my iPad Mini 4 and iPhone 7. However, I"m also getting the same crackling when I trigger the Ravenscroft 275 piano that I recently bought!?

I"m using the built in audio interface on my Yamaha YC61.

Outside the lack of MIDI Learn features, I´m loving It so far. Just out of curiosity, about the 2 Rotary speakers available, what kind of leslies or modifications are they suppose to model? The one with light color wood I guess it´s a classic 122, am I correct? The darker wood one has more gain and bottom end, but less pronounced movement. What about that one?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

To anyone who already has it, does VB3m permit you to store user presets that can be recalled over MIDI?

(I can't find any manual... I think the only docs are the Help screens in the app, which doesn't Help if you're trying to learn about it before buying...)

To anyone who already has it, does VB3m permit you to store user presets that can be recalled over MIDI?

(I can't find any manual... I think the only docs are the Help screens in the app, which doesn't Help if you're trying to learn about it before buying...)

No user presets are possible.

Here for the gear.

Ok so the good news is with a first glance test, the app seems to work in android on a sam note 10+ with no clicking or glitching. I think I sense a tad bit of latency but it's hard to really tell because the nektar impact has a different trigger point than I'm used to and part of what I sense could be that. But anyways I think it's not unusable. My nektar was as already mapped to vb3 v1 so all the drawbars and rocker switches worked instantly. Except the CV rotary knob, that had to be selected via touchscreen for now. Mod wheel controlled the expression. Pushbutton 1 switched the leslie. But that's just how it was mapped from before. PitchW doesn't do anything.

The bad...when the app is open but in the background, the phone gets sluggish and almost locks up. So it's an organ module or a smartphone but not both at once. So I doubt I could have another keyboard app like a string machine or mellotron app running at the same time as vb3m. My korg nanokontrol bus powered up but didnt talk to the vb3m app. I was hopeful but not surprised. In windows drivers are required so it's not class compliant. My usb sebring sound card stick output the sound which is cool because sam didnt put a headphone jack on my phone.

I haven't set the whole thing up with impact, sound stick and everything on a usb hub through a pa yet because I got stuff to do for a first after 2 years band rehearsal but the pieces all seem to work.

FunMachine.

Ok so the good news is with a first glance test, the app seems to work in android on a sam note 10+ with no clicking or glitching. I think I sense a tad bit of latency but it's hard to really tell because the nektar impact has a different trigger point than I'm used to and part of what I sense could be that. But anyways I think it's not unusable. My nektar was as already mapped to vb3 v1 so all the drawbars and rocker switches worked instantly. Except the CV rotary knob, that had to be selected via touchscreen for now. Mod wheel controlled the expression. Pushbutton 1 switched the leslie. But that's just how it was mapped from before. PitchW doesn't do anything.

The bad...when the app is open but in the background, the phone gets sluggish and almost locks up. So it's an organ module or a smartphone but not both at once. So I doubt I could have another keyboard app like a string machine or mellotron app running at the same time as vb3m. My korg nanokontrol bus powered up but didnt talk to the vb3m app. I was hopeful but not surprised. In windows drivers are required so it's not class compliant. My usb sebring sound card stick output the sound which is cool because sam didnt put a headphone jack on my phone.

I haven't set the whole thing up with impact, sound stick and everything on a usb hub through a pa yet because I got stuff to do for a first after 2 years band rehearsal but the pieces all seem to work.

I plan on purchasing an android phone on the open market ($40) and strip it down so that it justs runs VB3m. If nothing else is running on the phone it should run fine.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band