Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GSi VB3m for Android!

Well I"m very surprised. I"m sure Guido said he would never develop stuff for iPad. But there it is on the App Store for iPhone too. This is great news. Perhaps he will port the EPs and other virtual instruments from the Gemini? Like the Korg Module ... just buy the add ons you want. Go for it Guido! Now off to DL.

I suppose that, until CCs become editable, if you want to control it from a clone with its own fixed CC drawbar assignments, you could probably use an app like Keystage to remap the incoming MIDI CCs to whatever it is that VB3m wants to see. I know that people have done that to get the Roland VR-09's sysex drawbars to send CCs to B-3X, this should be simpler.

I did that for b3x a while back using midiflow but that added substantial latency.

Ah, I think I saw your facebook post about this. I wonder if Keystage might be able to do it with less latency...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I suppose that, until CCs become editable, if you want to control it from a clone with its own fixed CC drawbar assignments, you could probably use an app like Keystage to remap the incoming MIDI CCs to whatever it is that VB3m wants to see. I know that people have done that to get the Roland VR-09's sysex drawbars to send CCs to B-3X, this should be simpler.

I did that for b3x a while back using midiflow but that added substantial latency.

Ah, I think I saw your facebook post about this. I wonder if Keystage might be able to do it with less latency...?

Does the keystage free edition do this? Is it easy? I spent hours working it out on midflow.

Neat trick for changing the drawbars on the Keyboard screen - just start swiping in the grey bar above the keyboard. You have to imagine where the drawbars are but it's quite easy once you get used to it - quite tactile.

Sounds good - I'm assuming this is the code from VB3-II. Latency is automatically taken care of. I'm running it on an ancient iPad Mini 2 and I can't detect any noticeable latency. Compare this to B3-X which will run but needs to be set at 256 and most of the outboard FX have to be turned off - so not a worker.

Couple of issues at the moment:

I get the odd click - even when running on a fast iPad. It's not clipping and it doesn't break up like you get with low latency settings. Just a glitch of some sort.

It does not appear as Midi destination in apps like MidiFlow - required if you want remap the CCs.

Early days but very happy to have VB3 as an alternative to B3-X.

Downloaded it and it sounds great! The fixed midi learn is a bummer, hope that it gets ajustable soon.

I´m looking forward to try on my 2005 Korg Cx3, but it´s not with me right now. I didnt find the MIDI CC on th Korg CX3 on the manual, anyone knows where I can find it to see if it´s compatible with the Midi implementation on the VB3m?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Does the keystage free edition do this? Is it easy? I spent hours working it out on midflow.

I've never done this kind of thing myself. The demonstration I saw of the Roland sysex-to-cc conversions looked not so easy, but I would guess that CC-to-CC is probably easier. IIRC, you need the full edition of Keystage to have all the MIDI functions, but there is a demo period that temporarily unlocks all the advanced version in the free version, I believe. The developer is very good at providing support, too.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've never done this kind of thing myself. The demonstration I saw of the Roland sysex-to-cc conversions looked not so easy, but I would guess that CC-to-CC is probably easier. IIRC, you need the full edition of Keystage to have all the MIDI functions, but there is a demo period that temporarily unlocks all the advanced version in the free version, I believe. The developer is very good at providing support, too.

As always, thanks Scott! I"ll give it a shot. I should be practicing the actual tunes though for my first gig in over a year coming up Saturday instead of tweaking sounds! ð¤£ð¤£

I sent an email to GSI asking about Australian App Store access...no reply yet.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Hi,

As a proud and satisfied owner of Mojo 61 and Mojo Classic I just downloaded the iOS app also. Sounds great as ever and plays well. Unfortunately, I get occasional but annoying cracks with both my iOS devises, iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. For me it definitely sounds to be a buffer setting issue, but as there apparently is no way to adjust these for this app, I can`t tell for sure. I`m not exactly up to buying a new device just to test if a faster processor would cure the problem..

Too bad, this issue makes the app about useless for me. I really hope it can be sorted out in some near future fix release as otherwise the app would be just cool. It sounds great! Or maybe my idevices just are too old to run the up? Wonder what kind of experiences other early adopters get.

Guido, this hasn`t anything to do with the release date, hasn`t it?

Jyrki

Nord Stage 3 88, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager OS, Moog Little Phatty TE, Crumar Mojo Classic Suitacase, Kawai US-50 upright, Beltuna Studio 3 and Fantini cassotto accordions

Downloaded it and it sounds great! The fixed midi learn is a bummer, hope that it gets ajustable soon.

I´m looking forward to try on my 2005 Korg Cx3, but it´s not with me right now. I didnt find the MIDI CC on th Korg CX3 on the manual, anyone knows where I can find it to see if it´s compatible with the Midi implementation on the VB3m?

One big reason I regret selling mine as every CC can be customised. Select Global then Group 5 etc Input the new number for each drawbar.

Hi,

As a proud and satisfied owner of Mojo 61 and Mojo Classic I just downloaded the iOS app also. Sounds great as ever and plays well. Unfortunately, I get occasional but annoying cracks with both my iOS devises, iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. For me it definitely sounds to be a buffer setting issue, but as there apparently is no way to adjust these for this app, I can`t tell for sure. I`m not exactly up to buying a new device just to test if a faster processor would cure the problem..

Too bad, this issue makes the app about useless for me.

Jyrki

As I mentioned earlier I am running it on a 2014 iPad Mini and get exactly the same performance (and clicks) compared to the family 6th Gen ipad (2018) which has a much faster chip. It will just need tweaking. This is s new OS for GSi so I"m sure later revisions will have more settings. Background audio On/Off, MIDI channel and port select are few options that come to mind.

I think the process of submitting updates to the App Store is a bit of a pain too.

Yes,

I'm also confident that, knowing the great track record of the developer, these issues will eventually be sortef out.

Jyrki

Nord Stage 3 88, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager OS, Moog Little Phatty TE, Crumar Mojo Classic Suitacase, Kawai US-50 upright, Beltuna Studio 3 and Fantini cassotto accordions

I got it too - runs great on my 4 year old iPad pro. Hopefully Guido will add the ability to save presets in a future version.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I"m sure later revisions will have more settings. Background audio On/Off

As it is now, is it always on, or always off?

At the mo the app works in the background. Apps like Korg Module have the option to run in the background or not. I like this feature as I can just switch manually and avoid using another app to route MIDI to them. A typical example for me is Model D and Korg Module. It might seem basic but having used apps like MidiFlow and iMidiPatchbay that extra layer is just another thing to worry about if you are thinking about using them live.

[Edit] None of this is an issue though with a good controller keyboard. It's just how I use the iPad with a Nord Electro 6 which has a poor MIDI imp.

Not an issue in the studio just give them different MIDI channels and turn Background Audio on. BTW running these apps with IDAM is a breeze compared to my old iConnectMidi2.

I"m sure later revisions will have more settings. Background audio On/Off

As it is now, is it always on, or always off?

Out of the box, I"ve been using VB3 with Korg Module + Soft & Funk Drummer on my iPad. They"ve been playing very nicely together, no matter which app is in the foreground. Looks pretty solid and makes a nice well rounded set of sounds.

Oddly enough it"s working perfect on my 1st gen. iPad Air, but audio is glitching on the iPhone 7 Plus. Must be something Apple implemented in the software on later models. I"ll try the neweriPad mini as soon as I get mine back.

Oddly enough it"s working perfect on my 1st gen. iPad Air, but audio is glitching on the iPhone 7 Plus.

How is your battery health on the iPhone? By default, iPhones throttle back the performance once the battery health is below 80% (iPads apparently don't have this issue.). The throttling persists even if you have the phone plugged in and charging. At some point in the OS updates, they added an option to turn off that throttling, but then the phone can start shutting off at any time without notice. So once the battery health falls below 80%, you really need to replace the battery to maintain performance.

I'm surprised it's been released as is. If Guido planned on making additional changes (adding variable CC's to the drawbars, leslie control, etc.) vs. the fixed CC's and fix the crackling issues with iOS, I would have suspected he would address these issues before releasing. Proper developmental protocol typically dictates removing the known bugs before productionizing. Knowing that fixed CC's won't cut it and perhaps would limit sales because if your controller is incapable of adjusting its own drawbars and other controllers to match his Fixed CC controllers then that impacts commercialization. I'm a little dumbfounded by the strategy here of the release vs. the limitations and the bitching that will ensue regarding those limitations. My controller is already setup to run against the fixed CC's as my PC3 is already mapped to VB3 in the Gemini, so it should just work for me; if it doesn't my controller can accomodate making any changes necessary from a CC perspective. Not all controllers have the flexibility that the PC3 has, so I don't agree with his early release strategy, but hey what the hell do I know....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

It's now available on the Oz App Store :) just made a purchase. $22 down here.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

I still don't see it on the Google Play Store (which is strange because Guido developed the Android version first.

This is on his website:

Vb3m.JPG

1928.jpg.3a2e0d1bc5be6ea87e0942c733329b86.jpg

Proper developmental protocol typically dictates removing the known bugs before productionizing.

While software often has bugs, I'm not sure we've seen any in VB3m. We'll have to see how widespread the crackling thing is. Looking at facebook comments, I'm not seeing many problems reported. One person who did reprt crackles says his other apps (Ravenscroft, Sampletank) crackle too, so in that case, it's not specifically a VB3m thing.

As for the other, sure, we want to see CC remapping, and hopefully it will come before too long. But regardless, I suspect there are people glad to have this for $14, and Guido is probably glad to make money from it, win-win. It's not like it's a useless app without that feature. Anyone with a controller or workstation-style board that lets you map the sliders can use it (though it would be better if the App store product description made that clear, which could be done in a "positive" way rather than presenting it as a limitation), as can anyone content to use the screen for adjustments. (Heck, the organ in Garageband doesn't let you use MIDI to adjust its sliders at all, and it's permanently in MIDI OMNI mode, and this is after ten years!)

Whoa! Didnt know that, thanks. Cant wait to get my hands on the CX3 and put the two things together. The knobs and buttons can be configured too?

To Mojo Owners that already downloaded it: does the VB3m sound the same as the "original" present on the Mojo?

One big reason I regret selling mine as every CC can be customised. Select Global then Group 5 etc Input the new number for each drawbar.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Hi,

Armed with the good advices from the earlier posts in this thread, I made some more trials with the vb3m iOS. Put the idevice to flight mode, shut down the bluetooth and charged the battery full.. Now, this clearly helps - no cracks or pops anymore. However, the latency was noticeable and begun to annoy me after some time spent playing. I did control the app with my Mojo Suitcase and it was therefore easy to compare the performance of the app running in the iPAD and in the Mojo HW. Both do sound the same, that is very good indeed, but playability is sluggish with the app.

Determined to sort out my Hammond sound needs in the SW rig, I then bit the bullet and puchased the IK Multimedia B-3x. Its ten times the price, but...well. Turned out that it works perfectly with my aging iPad Air 2. No cracks whatsoever, no noticeable latency with Mojo as a controller. How do the sounds and playability compare then? I`d say they are very much on par, B-3x maybe having a slight edge in the leslie simulation. If the vb3m iOS eventually gets sorted out, I`d happily recommend it to anybody - no need to pay the Hammond brand premium.

This experiment also made it clear how important a good physical controller is for organ playing experience. The Mojo just works!

Jyrki