Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GSi VB3m for Android!

This, sadly, will likely never see the light of day. There's a very good reason there are very few MIDI/Audio options on the Android platform.... and there's no way GSi is going to be able to support every single variant of every single OS and hardware combination out there. It's a nice little experiment (and, if you read closely, you'll see that there is NO commitment to actually release it), but I don't see it making it to production status.

I hope I'm wrong, of course, but I don't see it happening. Happy to have to retract this post at a future date, though. :2thu:

This, sadly, will likely never see the light of day. There's a very good reason there are very few MIDI/Audio options on the Android platform.... and there's no way GSi is going to be able to support every single variant of every single OS and hardware combination out there. It's a nice little experiment (and, if you read closely, you'll see that there is NO commitment to actually release it), but I don't see it making it to production status.

I hope I'm wrong, of course, but I don't see it happening. Happy to have to retract this post at a future date, though. :2thu:

Sub-10ms RT audio latency on Android will definitely happen sooner versus later:

https://9to5google.com/2021/03/05/google-android-audio-latency/

I currently play IKMs iGrand & iLectric on my Pixel 4XL with that type of latency, but this is a flagship phone. The Samsung S10e in the test video is far from flagship specs, but it seems to be working fine.

I don't want to start a platform war here, but this is largely a perception issue with mobile music software developers. Much the same as the old "you need a Mac for music" argument was. We see how that turned out . . .

The Samsung S10e in the test video is far from flagship specs, but it seems to be working fine.

Samsung has long been better for MIDI than the typical Android phone, see for example...

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/10/02/samsung-real-time-audiomidi-solution-for-android/

... and that's from 2014. I think the problem there has been that developers haven't wanted to commit resources to develop Android apps that only work well on one brand of phone. If Google makes that kind of performance more useful, that should help. But Apple does have a 10 year jump on them. (CoreMIDI became part of iOS with version 5, which came out in 2011.)

Much the same as the old "you need a Mac for music" argument was. We see how that turned out . . .

It turned out as expected. You can fuss with a PC, or have it "just work" on a Mac. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Samsung S10e in the test video is far from flagship specs, but it seems to be working fine.

Samsung has long been better for MIDI than the typical Android phone, see for example...

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/10/02/samsung-real-time-audiomidi-solution-for-android/

... and that's from 2014. I think the problem there has been that developers haven't wanted to commit resources to develop Android apps that only work well on one brand of phone. If Google makes that kind of performance more useful, that should help. But Apple does have a 10 year jump on them. (CoreMIDI became part of iOS with version 5, which came out in 2011.)

Much the same as the old "you need a Mac for music" argument was. We see how that turned out . . .

It turned out as expected. You can fuss with a PC, or have it "just work" on a Mac. ;-)

I"ve never "fussed" with my PCs, and they have worked just fine for low latency recording and live performances with no hardware backups for the past 13 years. I'm not missing anything by not being on a Mac, and I haven't even yet made the jump to a TB audio interface yet.

Horses for courses, I guess.

I wonder if they are developing this so they can offer a cheaper organ module that is based on a cheaper (Samsung) Tablet running Android/Linux and VB3?.

Would make sense from a product development aspect - leverage the mass produced/ cheaper parts of the module to keep costs down, and continue focusing on their excellent skill set in software-based music instrument emulation.

Basically, a (potentially) cheaper GSi Gemini?

I wonder if they are developing this so they can offer a cheaper organ module that is based on a cheaper (Samsung) Tablet running Android/Linux and VB3?.

Would make sense from a product development aspect - leverage the mass produced/ cheaper parts of the module to keep costs down, and continue focusing on their excellent skill set in software-based music instrument emulation.

Basically, a (potentially) cheaper GSi Gemini?

You might be correct. This makes a lot of sense.

Gemini is a whole lot more than VB3. (And the app has an old version of VB3, besides.)

Of course.

But one has to start somewhere when testing proof of principles.

Starting with an older version of VB3 makes sense (if you can't get that to run, good luck with their more advanced software packages).

Anyway, just speculation on my part - I would love to have a VB3 in hardware (speaking as someone that has VB3, VB3 II and also a hardware Burn unit).

Vb3 is super good. But it has a couple of problems like how the distortion is gainstaged. It makes it hard to get the right amount of overdrive without this crackling. Usually using the expression and drive I can get something I can use but if it were done better it would be awesome.

But. I believe the post said the android version wasn't vb3 or Vb3II but some sort of vb3.3 . That's alot of work to do to not end up releasing it. I just hope the distortion is better.

FunMachine.

He is going to release it. Posted this morning on facebook:

It's running in the iPhone simulator! We're struggling to have it run on a real iPad... it's a first for us, but if things won't get harder than this, we might decide to release it for both platforms. Right now, we have decided to release it for Android. It will use "Oboe" which is a system that automatically selects the best latency settings for any compatible Android devices, and on most modern devices the latency is below 10 milliseconds.

I'll be curious to see how he prices it. I wonder if the willingness to develop for mobile was influenced by IK proving that people are willing to pay the same kind of money he charges for desktop apps.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Looks like they will release for Android. And AnotherScott - this post says that VB3m's latency is under 10ms on most modern Android devices

yup, I posted that info in the post above yours. ;-)

Looks like they will release for Android. And AnotherScott - this post says that VB3m's latency is under 10ms on most modern Android devices

yup, I posted that info in the post above yours. ;-)

Haha - I posted before I refreshed Chrome.

I'm really starting to dig this. For quick gigs I use my PC3 with the Voce and Vent. I was looking to replace the Voce with an organ module, looking at either HX3, mojo desktop or viscount EXP. HX3 (no drawbars) is the cheapest at $700. I can purchase a separate used phone to run this app, and with an OTP plug connector and a Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI Interface ( total investment $90) + the cost of the app can replace and upgrade my Voce unit for $200(?) in total. I'm really digging this option....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I have been thinking about picking up B3X but this is iPad only and isn"t available for phones. It looks like VB3 v2 will be available for phones which is quite important to me as my iPad will be used for controlling my digital mixer. Pretty much all the apps that I"m interested in buying to create a mobile sound module are available for the iPhone with B3X being the exception. I do prefer the sound of B3X but the Rotary in VB3 v2 is certainly a step up form the YC61.

Ideally I would prefer if Yamaha sorted out the rotary in the YC as I really like the overall Hammond sound a lot!

I have been thinking about picking up B3X but this is iPad only and isn"t available for phones. It looks like VB3 v2 will be available for phones which is quite important to me

Another advantage of this over B3X is that, unlike IK Mutimedia, Guido is responsive to support and feature requests.

Just downloaded. Haven"t tried it out yet with my Legend but sounds great on touch screen.

As of now though, no midi learn. The midi map seems to be not editable.

I downloaded on iOS (phone and iPad)

Also, maybe it's just me and i haven't played vb3 ii in a long time but I like the Leslie on this app much better!

Wow amaze-balls, that was fast. I just downloaded too US$13.99 It works on both iPad and iPhone. Yah, no MIDI learn, but, all the CC mappings are neatly listed under the Help tab.

Notes: On my iPhone 7 Plus over LE-MIDI, I"m experiencing small audio glitches that sound like x-runs in Pianoteq (when the CPU gets overloaded). Anyone else getting similar or different results?

The mappings may be listed, but with the legend where you can't change what is being sent out and on vb3m where I can't change the midi mapping, it's pretty pointless for me right now. I'm sure they'll add midi learn or at least editing in the future though. For now, I can't use it :(

Just downloaded. Haven"t tried it out yet with my Legend but sounds great on touch screen.

As of now though, no midi learn. The midi map seems to be not editable.

I downloaded on iOS (phone and iPad)

Also, maybe it's just me and i haven't played vb3 ii in a long time but I like the Leslie on this app much better!

do you have the download link? I don't see it.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I suppose that, until CCs become editable, if you want to control it from a clone with its own fixed CC drawbar assignments, you could probably use an app like Keystage to remap the incoming MIDI CCs to whatever it is that VB3m wants to see. I know that people have done that to get the Roland VR-09's sysex drawbars to send CCs to B-3X, this should be simpler.

I suppose that, until CCs become editable, if you want to control it from a clone with its own fixed CC drawbar assignments, you could probably use an app like Keystage to remap the incoming MIDI CCs to whatever it is that VB3m wants to see. I know that people have done that to get the Roland VR-09's sysex drawbars to send CCs to B-3X, this should be simpler.

I did that for b3x a while back using midiflow but that added substantial latency.

Just downloaded and will play with it later. I see it"s just 7 MB, unreal since B-3X is 1.1 GB! There"s quite a bit of work ahead - design/interface shortcomings need some maturity but I have faith that eventually things will come around. Meanwhile I"ll keep on supporting Guido - another bold achievement for one guy.

Here for the gear.

.........I just downloaded too US$13.99 It works on both iPad and iPhone.....

From where? I cannot find it on App Store..

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

.........I just downloaded too US$13.99 It works on both iPad and iPhone.....

From where? I cannot find it on App Store..

Search for VB3m. First thing needs to be fixed is the avatar.

Here for the gear.

Notes: On my iPhone 7 Plus over BLE-MIDI, I"m experiencing small audio glitches that sound like x-runs in Pianoteq (when the CPU gets overloaded). Anyone else getting similar or different results?

So good news, it plays beautifully on my 1st generation iPad Air, but, on the iPhone 7 Plus, I"m getting audio glitches, like I"m overloading the CPU or something.(through both USB-MIDI and BLE-MIDI). But, it"s works fine on the old iPad!