Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Compact Mini Key 49 and 61 Key Controller?

Thoughts? Must be capable of running on battery power and preferably has 5pin din.

To be more specific... I go out with my motorhome frequently in the summer. I am looking for an ultra compact controller for jamming at the fire.. etc. Something I could put in a large backpack type of deal. I already have a Reface CP and a Roland Mobile Cube.. but I would like the option to have a controller with more keys than the Reface offers but can control the Reface. I don't really care if it has any additional controls beyond the keys. I have researched already but.. just checking if anyone may have a suggestion that I have maybe not seen or considered.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be capable of running on battery power and preferably has 5pin din.

Since 5-pin is not an absolute requirement, it sounds like most of the time you'd be using (or have the option of using) USB. That being the case, is it possible that you could get by without the battery power as long as the board could be powered by USB? That opens up a lot more possibilities.

Also, since your Edge is already a nice 49-key controller that runs on batteries and has 5-pin MIDI, I'm guessing the issue is that it's too big?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

We definitely need more information about your use before making a recommendation. The 5-pin requirement sounds like you want it for a hardware setup. If so, do you need the ability to send program changes? Is good wheels or joystick important? Do you need cc controllers? Will you ever be using it for software like Live or Reason?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

If it runs on batteries then it probably isn't going to be the "best" (whatever best means....)

the controller doesn't have to have a battery. You could attach a battery pack to many keyboards and make them portable:

https://www.ebay.com/c/1031505818

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Must be capable of running on battery power and preferably has 5pin din.

I would like the option to have a controller with more keys than the Reface offers but can control the Reface.

To control the Reface, I think you have to change your parameters from "preferably has 5pin din" to "MUST have 5pin din."

Battery is a tough one, but since so many controllers can be powered over USB, you should be able to find a portable rechargeable power pack that would power the keyboard over its USB connection to open up those possibilities. If you really wanted something you could load batteries into, the smallest/lightest that comes to mind is the Korg Kross. That's probably bigger than you want it to be, but since it has its own sounds in it, you could take that by itself, without the Reface.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks Scott.. ya I didn't put must because if I found the right board.. I could use a midi host if needed. And ya I have already considered using a rechargeable battery pack. The goal is compactness with the least peripheral gear. I already have a Casio ctx 700 for a portable Jam keyboard and previously the Roland Go Keys but neither of those are convenient to play on my lap which means I bring a stand.. etc. To be honest if the Reface CP had 49 up to 61 keys.. I wouldn't be posting this. It checks all my boxes and I can jam on it but.. I would like to have an option with more keys available. That's why mini keys would be best for me as long as they have decent velocity response and don't rip my fingers up from shitty sharp edges.

Jay

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

Thanks Scott.. ya I didn't put must because if I found the right board.. I could use a midi host if needed.

I don't think so, because I'm not aware of any MIDI hosts adapters that run on batteries, so you're back at that problem.

I haven't seen anything with mini keys that much more than 37 keys, Except something like an old yamaha pss. Those likely had battery compartments. Some later ones might have had midi. The onboard sounds are obviously beeps and boops but if you used an ipad and the keys sent velocity you might get your 61 keys.

FunMachine.

Surprised nobody's mentioned this yet*, but why not go with a MicroKey Air 61 as mentioned above, and the CMI Widi Master for Bluetooth MIDI connectivity? Works great (well, I'll assume the Korg side will work great, it did with my Macbook Pro and iPad, so it should be fine with the better CME option).

https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-master/

* Sorry, thought this was an older thread. ;)

If you want something for

jamming at the fire.. etc.
you surely don't want to be futzing with a Reface and a controller and an amp, and maybe an external battery and a MIDI USB host, and ...

Surely you want an all-in-one board, ideally with on-board speakers, so you can leave the Mobile Cube behind as well. We've been round this loop in the Couch Keyboard thread (threads?), and the Casio CTK-S300 and higher are recommended for surprisingly-not-as-crappy-as-you'd-expect action. Mostly 5 octaves though (CTK240 is 4 octaves, but has speakers either side rather than above, making almost as wide as a 5-octave).

Cheers, Mike.

Thank you everyone for chiming in. All of your suggestions were very appreciated. I am going to give the Midiplus X4 a try (just ordered on amazon). The Korg microkey air option was also considered but I recall really not liking the playability of the keybed on the microkorg synths. I'll report back about the midi plus once I give it a run through.

Jay

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

I am going to give the Midiplus X4 a try (just ordered on amazon).

Looks like no battery operation, so you'll need something to power it over USB.

The Korg microkey air option was also considered but I recall really not liking the playability of the keybed on the microkorg synths.

Korg has different minikey actions. The keys on the original Microkorg and MS-20 Mini are quite poor. The keys on the Microkorg XL and Microstation are much better (I believe that's what's on the microkey). They also have even better ones ("slim keys") on boards like the Monologue.