Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

Hello everyone. I have lurked this thread for a while now, but never felt comfortable showing my rig. Finally got to a point where I like it enough so here it is. This is in a basement studio at home. Not shown are an Alesis Vortex keytar, an M-Audio Keystation 88 and a Behringer desk mixer.

1903.thumb.jpg.28540c3331aa6154f3fe93550360bdb1.jpg

Memo

Roland Fantom 6/Px-5S/Hydrasynth/DX7IIE!

MBP/Logic/Mainstage/Omnisphere/Native/Arturia

Roland Pk-5A

• 1 month later...

After decades of multi-board setups and piles of gear for "specialized use", in my sunset years I'm now down to just this:

BipRax7.jpg

That's my rig for church (music director) -- the only place I've played for almost 2 years now.

Viscount Legend '70s

Crumar Mojo Desktop

Sequenz stand and SonicBar monitor (not visible; hangs underneath the Legend)

K&M trolleys

Far cry from seemingly so-recent days that I had 3 Rhodes, a CP-70, a Forte, 2 SV-1s, and a VC73. :crazy:

Full disclosure: I *do* still have a melodica, 2 Refaces, and an ancient KX-5 keytar. But I don't think you actually have to count boards that are 3-octaves or less... :)

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

I feel like Rip Van Winkle - what the heck is a Legend 70?!?! Is that newer? Never seen it. Looks awesome!

Here's the forum thread on the Legend '70s:

Vicount Legends '70 - Nord Grand killer ?

Viscount Legend '70s; I believe it was announced at NAMM 2020, but has only become available recently. There are links to multiple reviews, and my own comments, in the thread.

First time I've purchased a "boutique" board from an old-school dealer, rather than a big-box or online retailer. Since there's no difference in pricing anymore, I must say I've enjoyed the personal service quite a lot. And I think the board is quite cool, and is designed for expansion -- looking forward to what modules will become available later.

With a rig like that, your best years are ahead of you Brad!

How are you finding the action on the Legend 70s?

Cheers, Mike.

On the Compact 73 model I have, the action is Fatar TP100; but it's a newer 3-sensor version, and Viscount's implementation is much better, IMHO, than say, Nord's implementation in the Electro and Stage versions. It's not as loose and bouncy as a real Rhodes (and I've had a Rhodes' with great action setups), but I like it and find it very playable; close to a nice upright acoustic feel, perhaps. I played a Forte 7 with a Fatar TP/40L keybed for years, and that one is lighter-feeling but still excellent. I don't miss it though.

Hello everyone. I have lurked this thread for a while now, but never felt comfortable showing my rig. Finally got to a point where I like it enough so here it is. This is in a basement studio at home. Not shown are an Alesis Vortex keytar, an M-Audio Keystation 88 and a Behringer desk mixer.

That's a very impressive rig with a nice spread of different tools. Smart choices abound. As I inspected the picture, I got GAS so bad, I suddenly recalled Frank Zappa's piece entitled "Prelude To The Afternoon Of A Sexually Aroused Gas Mask."

I was amused, but its not exactly healthy. Clearly, I need to run out and buy another synth. :crazy:

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

Lurking is fine around here. I think we all did it until we started to feel like we were at home. I love your basement layout. I had a M3-73 (sold it to get a MODX7 - but had a Kronos 88 already that replaced the M3. Also have the RISE 49. Can't say I've spent near enough time with it yet but love the potential that it has (with Equator, Strobe, Cypher, etc + Pigments) it is a force to be reckoned with. Just retired and can hopefully get deep into it at some point. We are remodeling parts of our house (studio included) so it may take some time. Wanting a Moog sometime before I die. Love your DX but feel I have that covered with the MODX.

I have a few questions for you. I see a drum set over behind the Moog. Can't tell from the pic if it's acoustic or electric (looks like an acoustic + rototoms). I am looking at grabbing an electric kit (so far narrowed down to Roland TD1-DMK & the Alesis Command Mesh). I just want a kit that a real drummer will be okay with the feel of the mesh heads. Not so concerned about the internal sounds on either as I have EZdrummer 2 (and will upgrade to Superior Drummer at some point). So what are you using if I may ask and how are you using it as well. I also am planning to learn drums myself (to help improve my timing). Also curious as to what mixer software (I saw you mentioned a Behringer desk mixer - I have a XR18 X-Air Mixer myself), or maybe it's a VST that is on your monitor and how you have your tablet incorporated into your rig. Sorry to "machine gun" you with a ton of questions! Thanks in advance!

Brad Mize (midinut)

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

After much work and dollars spent, this should be my keyboard setup during my college years from mid-August to mid-May of every year (+/- the Proteus 1/Mo'Phatt 2U depending on what I need). Thank you to everyone here on the forum that's helped me figure things out!

College-Music-Rig-2021.png

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Hey Brad.

Ive been wanting to replace my M3 for a while. At first, I kept finding reasons to justify upgrading to a Kronos, but then found more reasons not to (the M3 is a great board!). So I decided to wait for the 'next' Korg flagship. Turns out the Kronos has taken longer to die than I ever thought it could! Nautilus can"t be it so I will keep waiting.

The screen died on the M3 once but changed it and works fine now. The Radias board is dying on me (sometimes it just won"t load on startup), but otherwise it"s fine.

Dx7II is there only for nostalgia, being my first real synth (great keybed tho).

Like many others, I have found the Seaboard to be an interesting, fun toy, but am far from mastering it or giving it any 'real world' use.

One for my sons plays drums (pictured is the acoustic set + rototoms). He also has a small Alesis electric set which is upstairs in his room. My eldest son plays electric guitar and keys, and my 10 yo daughter is taking piano and singing lessons. The other half of the basement is not shown but has the mics, guitars, speakers and mixer (its a cheap Behringer desk mixer can"t recall its name). To mix keys I use a Keylargo. None of my kids wants to learn to play bass, so if I want to jam with them, I use midi-pedals.

Computer monitor is showing Arturias Modular softsynth. iPad is showing Korg Wavestation.

We built our house from scratch and the basement was ñplanned as our music room. I am a full time doctor but music has always played an important part in my life. Hopefully my kids will inherit that bug and enjoy music as much as I do.

Memo

Roland Fantom 6/Px-5S/Hydrasynth/DX7IIE!

MBP/Logic/Mainstage/Omnisphere/Native/Arturia

Roland Pk-5A

What is the 2nd tier keyboard above your Forte7, Vonnor?

Looks like a Kronos 61.

Yepper. With custom 3D-Printed end panels.

Forte_Kronos_02.png

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Yepper. With custom 3D-Printed end panels.

Nice. The original Kronos endcaps seemed designed to make it as difficult to pick up and carry as possible.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

With custom 3D-Printed end panels.

Wow, where did you get that done? I would love to have new endcaps for my recently (re)acquired MIDIBoard. Speaking of which, here we go:

9s30LLu.jpg

My ode to PolyAT has now advanced beyond obsession...

Wow, where did you get that done?

I"d like to have those too.

PS - that VAX77 is a beautiful controller.

Here for the gear.

Wow, where did you get that done? ...

I modeled the new end caps in Blender then printed them on my Creality CR-10 max printer.

See https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3047130/re-an-invisibler-rig-build

~ vonnor

Gear:

I modeled the new end caps in Blender then printed them on my Creality CR-10 max printer.

Have you thought about offering them on ebay/reverb/etsy? (And here of course!)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Have you thought about offering them on ebay/reverb/etsy? (And here of course!)

I would love a set for my original Kronos 7.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Yepper. With custom 3D-Printed end panels.~ vonnor

Coolness ! :cool:

What brand/ model is the throne ?

Does it rotate 360° and is the seating tiltable to some degree ?

What´s max height ?

:)

A.C.

For all the folks requesting these custom end panels:

Please understand there is a great deal of post-print work needed. The Kronos 61 has two different steel guide frames that attach to the end panels from the inside. Disassembly and re-assembly is kind of a bi*ch. My design sets center points for only 2 of the many screw holes needed in each of the two guide frames.

Also, these were replicated for the 61 only. I believe the 73 and 88 versions are bigger. I do not own those versions so I did not model them.

Thirdly, I typically do not offer to design and build things for sale, for two reasons:

1. For myself it is a labor of love - no expense is spared and no time limit is imposed. The total cost for me to make these from the start was about $400 give or take. Materials cost was about $50, but over 12 hrs was involved, both in design and post-print.

2. If I am making stuff for myself and screw up, I have to re-do it ... at MY OWN expense; but if I am making stuff for other people and screw up, I have to re-do it at...

...MY OWN expense.

That being said, I certainly don't mind sharing my Blender design (www.blender.org) with forum members. Blender is a open-source 3D modelling application. STL files can be created from Blender files. Many slicer programs are available that can take STL files and create printable machine code that 3D printers can read.

Keep in mind this is a large (14.1 inch) print and only the largest 3D printers can handle it. I have a Creality CR-10 max which can print up to 18" in X or Y direction.

Lastly, when I printed the end panels using PLA+ filament, the print came out a tiny bit too small (shrinkage most likely), so scaling the model up by about 2-3% (can be done in the slicer) would better match the correct size.

PM me your email if you want the Blender model. Unfortunately I cannot provide blender guidance and scaling the STL file to the correct size (14.1") would be on you.

~ vonnor

Gear: