Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland VSTs

I have been thinking about remixing an album I produced for someone in the late 90s.

My JV-90 (which I no longer own) was quite extensively used, and although I have stems of the synth parts I'd much rather have the ability to re-record them. Most of the patches used were slightly modified presets.

I was hoping there may have been a JV-90 VST on the Roland cloud, but the nearest seems to be the JV-1080, which I'm sure will be the same technology.

I'm wondering if it would make more sense to get the XV-5080 instead? I really don't want to purchase both.

Does anyone know if the XV-5080 is likely to have the waveforms from the JV-90. What about the presets?

If not, what about the JV-1080. Is that actually a superset of the JV-90 as I suspect?

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played a JV-90 at church until a few months ago :) The other keyboardist of the band still has it. Let me know if you need anything from it :)

I think I"ve read it somewhere that later synths such as the XV had all the waveforms but none of the same presets.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I played a JV-90 at church until a few months ago :) The other keyboardist of the band still has it. Let me know if you need anything from it :)

I think I"ve read it somewhere that later synths such as the XV had all the waveforms but none of the same presets.

Thanks for the offer.

I do plan on creating a Win98 virtual machine so I can install the DAW I was using at the time. I'll need that to extract MIDI data of the parts.

Mike, I hear your woe. I have the same thing, Korg version. You can get their ancient synths like the MonoPoly, but the 01W and Trinity got passed over for direct translations where the Wavestation got the full treatment. The DNA of both is well-displayed in their comprehensive Triton plug-in, but some things always fall between the cracks.

Roland's Cloud gives me a proper D-50 with no friction involved, so I'd recommend the XV-5080 as worthy of the patch diving you'll have to do to find some of those earlier sounds. If they pop up in the full sets displayed by the D-50, you should be able to locate most of them fairly easily. I'm still wary of The Cloud in general, but I can testify that in this instance, its performing as described. What a pleasant form of Solitaire for your pandemic evening's fun.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I have a JV-1000 (a JV-90 with a sequencer added). The 1080 will have a lot of the sounds, but not all of them may sound identical, nor will all of the JV-90 presets be present unfortunately.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The JV-1080 is not a complete superset of the JV-90. Some of the waveforms are gone like '90"s Snare" and some of the other drums. I believe I was able to import JV-80 banks into my XP-50 at the time, but those did not use the missing drum waves. JV-1080 has many similar patches to the JV80/90/1000, and you can certainly remake most of it.

If you want the closest thing to a JV-90, get the JV-1080 VST(includes all 1083 PCM waves and effects from the XV-5080 VST) or the XV-5080 VST(includes all of the JV-1080 content as well as the XV-5080 additional patches). These both have the Reverb and Chorus processors in addition to the MFX, so the patches sound pretty much the same as original, except for the absent 'Multi' 4-7 stage chain effects from the XV-5080. Zenology has the 1080/5080 patches, but in Zencore form, which does not have reverb/chorus processors at the patch level. Rev/Cho are at the Scene(multi) level in the new ZenCore hardware hierarchy and Zenology has no Scene mode (yet) One exception is the new JD-800 expansion for Zenology, which has all the effects processors from the original synth.

Roland's Cloud gives me a proper D-50 with no friction involved, so I'd recommend the XV-5080 as worthy of the patch diving you'll have to do to find some of those earlier sounds. If they pop up in the full sets displayed by the D-50, you should be able to locate most of them fairly easily.

Thanks Dave.

I'm still wary of The Cloud in general, but I can testify that in this instance, its performing as described.

Yeah, me too. I'm finding more and more that I don't have any choice.

What a pleasant form of Solitaire for your pandemic evening's fun.

Indeed.

The JV-1080 is not a complete superset of the JV-90. Some of the waveforms are gone like '90"s Snare" and some of the other drums. I believe I was able to import JV-80 banks into my XP-50 at the time, but those did not use the missing drum waves. JV-1080 has many similar patches to the JV80/90/1000, and you can certainly remake most of it.

If you want the closest thing to a JV-90, get the JV-1080 VST(includes all 1083 PCM waves and effects from the XV-5080 VST) or the XV-5080 VST(includes all of the JV-1080 content as well as the XV-5080 additional patches). These both have the Reverb and Chorus processors in addition to the MFX, so the patches sound pretty much the same as original, except for the absent 'Multi' 4-7 stage chain effects from the XV-5080. Zenology has the 1080/5080 patches, but in Zencore form, which does not have reverb/chorus processors at the patch level. Rev/Cho are at the Scene(multi) level in the new ZenCore hardware hierarchy and Zenology has no Scene mode (yet) One exception is the new JD-800 expansion for Zenology, which has all the effects processors from the original synth.

Good info. Thanks. I can't remember at this stage how much MIDI data I stored in the project files, so do know how big a job this will be. Pretty sure I didn't store any sysex.

Hmm, I created a Roland cloud account yesterday and it supposedly comes with a 30 day trial of Ultimate.

Free Roland Account

INCLUDES

ZENOLOGY Lite software synth

Purchase Lifetime Keys for instruments, sounds, and patterns

30-day free trial of Ultimate with membership for new customers

Zenbeats Music Creation Software

I can't work out how to activate the trial and Google is not helping me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this works.

Have you downloaded the manager application yet? Pretty sure you can only activate the trial inside it.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Have you downloaded the manager application yet? Pretty sure you can only activate the trial inside it.

Yes, I have installed the Roland Cloud Manager. But I found the answer in the support section:

Q. What is required in order to enroll in a 30-Day free trial?

A. You just need to install Roland Cloud Manager. In the installed Roland Cloud Manager, use 'Membership' to purchase a plan (Core, Pro, Ultimate). You won"t be billed until 30 days after the date of purchase.

Some Roland hardware comes with a free year of the cloud. If you have been considering anything like the MC-101 that is a nice bonus.

Not looking for any new hardware at the moment.

Getting the Ultimate 30 day trial solves my problem. I can try the XV-5050 and JV-1080 to see which will be best. I don't mind buying one of them, but not both. I could probably even get what I want done within the 30 days if it turns out that I don't really want the JV-90 back, nostalgia being what it is, I will also get to relive the JX-3P for a short time. That my cure my nostalgia for that too.