Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

choosing a pair of speakers for clonewheel

Another vote for the Yamaha DXR10. I am very happy with them in almost all respects. I do not have the Mark II, although I must assume they are even better. I also agree, don't let "wattage" scare you away. Most of the time I use my DXR10's at a low volume. But when I use them with the band, they absolutely scream when needed, distortion-free. My 2 cents.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

If you have space, then get yourself a valve Leslie. If not, try the Yamaha DXR10 mk2. Jim Alfredson is right - they"re not as harsh as QSC for example. I have a pair and I stack 'EM and it"s a nice big sound with plenty of everything.

I agree about the DXR10 mk2's. They're excellent but they're pretty expensive (~$700 each). The OP might also want to consider picking up a pair of Yamaha DBR10's which IMO are tonally similar to the DXR10, about half the price, lighter (~23lbs), and with less power (129db vs.132db max spl). I have a DBR10 and really like it.

I tend to also agree with this DBR-10 recommendation as well. I have both a pair of Yamaha DBR-10's and a pair of the original Yamaha DXR-10's and I actually use the DBR-10's in my dedicated home studio room as full-range stereo near-fields for my entire home set-up. They sound fantastic on my Hammond XK-1 & NumaCompact 2x. I also agree that tonally they are very similar in sound to the DXR-10's, which I now only use on actual gigs. And the DBR-10's are simply placed on the floor in my studio as they have switchable active EQ built-in.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

well, in europe but they are stocked by the mighty Thomm.

they remind me of my old wharfedale monitor boxes, they were really good, shame I let them go. this must have been around 2001.

yeah, the wooden cabs are really nice if you don't have to lug them around!

https://pasteboard.co/JKPbLUw.png

https://pasteboard.co/JKPcEPU.png

Don't overlook the HK Lucas Nano Series (302, 305, 602......) !

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Long time lurking newbie here. I have a pair of Roland CM30 monitor amps that I've used for years as stereo keyboard amps at home and on small gigs with no problems. Also use one of them for a stage monitor with line out to FOH when needed. Very versatile, good sounding, super compact, and ultra reliable.

Long time lurking newbie here. I have a pair of Roland CM30 monitor amps that I've used for years as stereo keyboard amps at home and on small gigs with no problems. Also use one of them for a stage monitor with line out to FOH when needed. Very versatile, good sounding, super compact, and ultra reliable.

Aloing the same lines, coincidentally, someone on facebook just talked about happily putting their clonewheel through a pair of Vox Vx50 KB.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I run my Mojo 61 through a mixer (along with the e-piano and MX61 synth) then out to a pair of Mackie Thump 12As (in stereo) and they sound great to my ears.

But I'll admit I don't have any higher-end ones to compare them against side-by-side...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

the thumps were some of the speakers high on the list, but yeah, i feel they are too bulky and overkill!

currently leaning towards the alto ts310 or ts308 (10" and 8" respectively) altos mid range offerings. or maybe even the cheaper yamahas as recommended here!

the sub + satellite route is tempting and good for space saving, but for rotary sim, I think you won't get the full stereo effect, since all the bass is routed to one mono subwoofer, so you won't get the bass rotor thrown between the speakers, you'll only get the horn through the stereo satellites. interesting to think about that.

thanks so much for all the advice, fascinating reading and insights.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

.........the sub + satellite route is tempting and good for space saving, but for rotary sim, I think you won't get the full stereo effect, since all the bass is routed to one mono subwoofer, so you won't get the bass rotor thrown between the speakers, you'll only get the horn through the stereo satellites. interesting to think about that.

Actually, depending on the "sattelite" speakers you use, they can have a pretty full range, and you definitely get a good amount of lower rotor frequencies through them. Naturally they won't cover much below a few hundred hertz, but there isn't that much "directonality" to the audio frequencies that route to the sub, anyway.

Definitely not trying to "oversell" this approach, but I have been playing Hammond clone organs for a long time, and I think it sounds pretty good for a space-saving approach. You may want to give it a try by cobbling up some borrowed stuff, before sinking money into two large PA speakers.

Best of luck in your decision,

Lou

Yes, even though the top and bottom Leslie rotors cross over at about 800 Hz (which is still well into the range of significant directionality), if your sub only kicked in at maybe 120 Hz or less, you probably wouldn't notice much "spatial" loss.
  • Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 1 month later...

so i read all of your posts and took all the advice onboard, and then went and bought something that nobody suggested.

nevertheless, i'm totally satisfied with it and it didn't break the bank, although I almost broke the amp... (spoller)

sorry for posting my own s**t but wanted to conclude the discussion you all contributed to, thanks!. Hoping perhaps some others find this video helpful.

[video:youtube]

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Interesting that you say anything mono is "lo fi", who knew, have to up my game to "hi fi" stereo next time I play live.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Hey Konaboy, really enjoyed the video! Thanks for sharing.

I always forget that the route you went is a viable, economical solution to stereo nirvana!

Thanks again...

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• 2 years later...
On 1/22/2021 at 2:14 PM, dazzjazz said:

Yes, two powered speakers stacked like guitar cabinets works well. Puts the horn near your ear like a Leslie. Although the stereo imaging is not exactly like a Leslie, it"s very, very good indeed.

I was about to buy a Presonus Air12 (on sale 25% off) for my amp/monitor for my blues band - I play 90% Hammond (the new M-Solo) and 10% piano/EP/other from a Studiologic Numa Compact 2X.  Are you saying I would be better off buying a couple of 10” or 8” speakers and stacking them instead?  (No I cant buy 2 of the 12” Presonus … $ :) ).

So with 2 speakers am I chaining them/ sending the same mix to each and it’s just that I hear more of the tweeter from the top one and more of the woofer from the bottom one (which “fakes” a Leslie sound) because the one on the ground will be bassier because of where it is?   Or should I just get the 12” Presonus and be happy with that?

On 1/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, AnotherScott said:

Are you in the U.S.? They're $879 (Sweetwater, I think they're the only dealer that carries it). They also pop up used, which should save you at least a couple of hundred dollars.

In the lower budget range, I may get some flack for this, but Behrinrger isn't bad, at least the 2 series, which I've used. For anything except acoustic piano, they're really not bad at all, and I found them to be reliable. I'd be more hesitant about the 1 series, here's a review:

-- but that's just one guy. I haven't heard anything in that series myself.

This is okay.  The 15 is okay.  Do NOT get the 12".  The 12 is so heavy around 125Hz and you can't EQ that shit out.  They are fine for vocals but for keys they suck.

Again the 10 and 15 are fine.  Even the 8s

For powered speakers on the cheap I have been satisfied with some Altos I got for rehearsal places.  I would not buy powered speakers for the house though.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt