Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Prodigal Bass

I'm not usually one to give unsolicited advice to strangers, but on Saturday I just couldn't help myself. I had dropped in to my favorite local music store and was chatting with the owner when a couple of dudes came in.

One was looking for a new guitar amp, and we were all just kind of shooting the breeze when the other casually mentioned that he was thinking about buying a bass so the two of them could jam.

Then he mentioned that he used to play bass in high school and college, but that was over 15 year ago and -- here's the jaw-dropping part -- he didn't even know where his bass is now.

So I said, hang on -- what do you MEAN you don't know where it is? Where was it the last time you saw it?

And he said, well, it was probably tucked away somewhere at his parents house. *Buhm buhm*

I said, wouldn't it be a good idea to ASK them if they still have it and know where it is? The money you're planning to spend on a bass could go toward a better amp.

And he said, uh yeah, I should probably do that.

My parting words as I left: Dude! Call. Your. Mother!

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many things are not as simple as they may seem.

We'll never know. He may have hated that bass. He may hate his Mom. He may love both of them but the bass is buried so deep in a pile of horrendous shit that he would prefer to move on.

Those are only three possibilities out of umpty bajillion.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

We'll never know. He may have hated that bass. He may hate his Mom. He may love both of them but the bass is buried so deep in a pile of horrendous shit that he would prefer to move on.

Well, that's not a dark interpretation at all.

Where I saw blithe insouciance, you saw doom, dysfunction and despair.

Well, that's not a dark interpretation at all.

Where I saw blithe insouciance, you saw doom, dysfunction and despair.

I try to look on the bright side!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

"Yeah, I think it was a Fender Jazz, but it was old, like from the 60's or something."

If only he'd said that. I would have said, "Dude, I'll call your mother. Give me the number."