Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianoteq installation to external drive

Is it possible? I'm on a MacBook. Went to download the trial version today, but it seems that can only be installed on the main hard drive. Even with a 4TB SSD, I am pushing the limits of space, so moving everything I can music production related to an external SSD.

Is the non-trial version of Pianoteq installable on an external drive or limited to the computer's primary drive?

Hammond XK5, Alesis QS8, Yamaha DX7IIFD, Roland XV2020 (SRX-11 & 12), Kawai RX7, Scheidmayer Clavichord, Strymon (Flint, Big Sky, Timeline, Mobius, Ola, El Capistan), Neo Ventilator II

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't have any samples AFAIK, so I'm not sure there's a whole lot that could even run from an external.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I just read that a Pianoteq install is 50MB â you can't fit that on your internal? You should have many gigs of free space left on your internal, to keep that SSD healthy â at least that's what I've read on some of the geeky hardware forums that talk about SSD wear and how modern OSes deal with it.

Super - didn't realize it was such a small install. Will give it a go. Thanks for the advice keyboard tribe.
Hammond XK5, Alesis QS8, Yamaha DX7IIFD, Roland XV2020 (SRX-11 & 12), Kawai RX7, Scheidmayer Clavichord, Strymon (Flint, Big Sky, Timeline, Mobius, Ola, El Capistan), Neo Ventilator II

On Windows, the installer is around 50MB too but the total installation space required is around 284MB for v. 6.7.3 and 210MB for version 7.10. So, configuration files and other stuff takes extra space when uncompressed. Still, pretty small considering the trend on modern application, even the ones supposed to be small, to take huge amounts of space (and memory).

Super - didn't realize it was such a small install. Will give it a go. Thanks for the advice keyboard tribe.

Pianoteq has a tiny handful of samples in it, mainly for things like pedal squeaks. The actual piano sound is physically modeled, no samples needed.

There are several threads about Pianoteq here in the forum. There are a fair number of people who adore it and prefer it to anything else out there, but I don't think that's a majority opinion. Many people have it and like it a lot, but still prefer sample-based pianos for some applications; other folks simply prefer samples for everything.

Physical modeling has come a long way since Pianoteq version 1 came out; modern computers have plenty of processor power to deliver even the most complicated audio modeling with very little CPU load and latency, and the level of tweaking that's possible is astounding. There are a lot of ways to tweak sample libraries, of course, but nothing at this level.

On the other hand, even though a model allows for much finer alteration than samples ever could, some folks just feel that the samples sound and play better, with a certain innate realism that the model just hasn't quite reached yet.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

As I mentioned, if you're nerdy enough to look at how SSDs work - stuff like provisioning, wear leveling, etc., you come to realize that using no more than 70 - 80% of an SSD's free space is how you get the most life out of one. I believe that most SSDs are "over-provisioned" meaning they add extra memory cells to account for wear, but I'm not into pushing things.

artdob, you might want to try what I did - a simple reinstall of your OS. Not an update or upgrade, just a fresh install of whatever version you're on now. A lot of invisible files are cleared when you do that. I gained around 20GB of space back! I also found that my computer ran a lot faster too. The reinstall didn't take much time and didn't touch anything in my account. A total win.

How'd we get from a simple question by the OP on if it's possible to load PTeq to his external drive, to a review/critique of Pteq?

it seems that is what goes on around here on a day to day basis. :facepalm:

To the OP, I own Pianoteq. They allow installs on up to 3 different IP addresses, once an IP address is deleted, Pianoteq can never be installed on that computer again. Since an external drive is just that, without an IP address, it is possible that Modartt will not allow an install, preventing that software from being used on many different computers.

Hey, I might be completely wrong here. Did you try asking Modartt support? :idk:

:nopity:

Well as others have mentioned PT is almost all modelled, so as it is loading executable code into memory why not have it on your main internal drive? I dont get the suggestion that an external drive to a local machine has its own IP address. If the external drive is a NAS then yes it will have a subnet addy. Don't think that is an issue here. Contact Moddart for help., they provide excellent timely support.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P