Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pink Floyd Dark Side Wurli Wah

A little help trying to get the Wurli Wah sound that is so prevalent on Dark Side of the Moon.

Listen to Money from the Sax solo to the end.

Or most of Time->Home has kind of a more subtle version of the same thing.

I've tried various things but I'm just not happy with the results. My wah or envelope filters seem to end up to bright and screetchy.

I've got several different hardware/software options but it would be nice to have it on Mainstage.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[url:https://reverb.com/item/20345644-ultra-rare-very-early-original-1968-crybaby-wah-100-vox-clyde-mccoy-guts-circuit-the-real-deal?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2058618928&utm_content=campaignid=2058618928_adgroupid=77619994698_productpartitionid=340992299003=merchantid=240057830_productid=20345644_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=391637461833&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvbiBBhD-ARIsAGM48bwZkEiwLh8kegzUAR0p4Wt0CiiXcXJeFf556ne5Zvo7BjBHCJkET2oaAl09EALw_wcB]try this one[/url]
:nopity:

[url:https://reverb.com/item/20345644-ultra-rare-very-early-original-1968-crybaby-wah-100-vox-clyde-mccoy-guts-circuit-the-real-deal?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2058618928&utm_content=campaignid=2058618928_adgroupid=77619994698_productpartitionid=340992299003=merchantid=240057830_productid=20345644_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=391637461833&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvbiBBhD-ARIsAGM48bwZkEiwLh8kegzUAR0p4Wt0CiiXcXJeFf556ne5Zvo7BjBHCJkET2oaAl09EALw_wcB]try this one[/url]

Nice!!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I used to run a Vox Wah pedal for exactly this purpose and managed acceptable results.

These days my mixer does not have an effects loop so I don"t bother. I use my KB"s onboard wah sound. Frankly it"s a bit substandard but I"ve noticed no dampening in the audience"s enthusiasm for the song.

I most often do it with a modwheel, where "up" closes the filter and "down" opens it, so I can be very specific about how that "awww" sounds. But as CowboyNQ, who knows as well as anybody on the planet how this needs to sound, says: an on-board wah that filters via attack or aftertouch is likely to please all the relevant ears in the room.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

There's one keyscape model with an auto wah in it but it's a Rhodes, not a wurli. Arturia has a Wurli with one. Tried them separately and also blended them. Still wasn't happy with the sound when compared to my normal Wurli patches; it's a real drop off in oomph. I think I'm going to try actually using a pedal next.

I realize I'm the only one who probably notices. Not even sure my bandmates really care that much, but I've been chasing that exact tone for a while. I've been playing Time for years in various bands but recently added Money and it's really pronounced in that song so I thought I'd give it another shot.

I did go so far as to sample the cash register sounds at the beginning.

Thanks for the help

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I did go so far as to sample the cash register sounds at the beginning.

This assumes there is a group and a market to return to, but: although I run the intro as a sample now, I decided whenever we last played that I wanted to go the other way and try to play each of those sounds as separate preloaded patches. This might die in my "Wouldn't it be cool if..." file, but you never know.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

The Bar/Restaurant we played last night was at capacity at 9pm when we started. Maybe 15 die-hards left at midnight. Some venues are leaning forward for scheduling later in the Spring. There was a seperate thread about this but I have 3 scheduled next month which honestly is about all I want to gig right now anyway.

If you ever find yourself in front of a Kurzweil PC3 series board, look for the FlydDarkside/Wah program. It's got an authentic wah-type bandpass filter (meant to emulate Vox wah IIRC) assigned to the CC pedal input and modwheel (for those without a CC pedal). Some version of it should be included in the factory sounds for anything starting with the PC3 or later. On the Forte, it's the first Wurly, Vintage Amp. The button above modwheel usually enables wah on any programs that have that effect.

You should be able to set this up on other platforms, hardware and software, as long as it has a bandpass that can be assigned to a CC pedal. The Vox and Crybaby wah pedals can be emulated with a bandpass filter set to around 15-18dB resonance (or more narrow than an octave if "width" is the parameter). The freq range can really vary, as artists used to tweak their pedals all over the place. I usually start with 300Hz to 2500Hz and then adjust by ear from there.

Having said all this... while I make a living from designing and tweaking sounds, and I care deeply about it... most folks at a gig will be happy as long as you're playing the part on something that sounds even vaguely similar. In my experience, nailing the album sound is always something that the player enjoys more than anyone else!