Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: ripping audio from commercial DVDs

cedar

Chick Corea's recent death reminded me that I once purchased this wonderful 10 DVD set

R-6675567-1424465336-7341.jpeg.jpg

But I've been frustrated by my inability to listen to this music out of the house (using my iPhone). So, I've searched for ways to rip the audio portion of the videos and convert them to MP3s. I've seen some software that claims to do this, but I can't get it to work for me. I took the DVDs to a local merchant for help, and they ran into some kind of error saying this can't be done for a commercial DVD (i.e., because of a copyright issue).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a workaround? Could I somehow make my own recording of the material (perhaps with my Zoom Livetrack?) I have very limited understanding of technology in general, but hoping that there is some answer.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Audio Hijack is worth its weight in gold, but it's MacOS. https://rogueamoeba.com/

Will capture audio from any App.

Handbrake should also be able to do this but I've never tested audio only. https://handbrake.fr/

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Guess I should have mentioned I have a PC.

I did try Handbrake, but didn't work for me. (In other words, the process just froze up.) I could try it again. But I think the issue that may be arising has to do with the DVD being commercial (and copyrighted),

You can use Audacity to capture the digital audio playing through your Windows PC.

1. Here's the link to the Audacity website:

https://www.audacityteam.org/

2. Configure Audacity for Windows WASAPI loopback recording to digitally capture audio that is being played on your computer. Make sure you select the correct "loopback" device for recording.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

3. Start recording in Audacity and play the video. You may have to try a couple of different "loopback" options before you select the correct one.

4. Trim if you wish and export. MP3, WAV and OGG formats are built-in. You can download the free FFmpeg library (instructions are in the application) for additional options.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I tried Audacity earlier, but without any special configuration (and frankly I didn't explore it at length). I'll give that a shot next since I'm at least a little familiar with the basic functions in Audacity,

Make sure you have the latest version of Audacity as some of the earlier versions did not include MP3 encoding.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

VLC is something I kind of tried. The recommendation was to use Handbrake first (for one intermediary conversion I forgot), in order to avoid some issue (maybe skipping). And that"s where I got hung up in the process. I did not try VLC directly.

Worst case you could run a cable form the headphone out from your laptop (or whatever you watch DVDs with) to an input on your Zoom, and hit play and record.

You won't get a perfect bit-for-bit copy, but it should be pretty good.

You won't get everything split into nice tracks with all the metadata correct. But since you're ripping audio tracks from DVDs that might be something you'd have to fix manually either way.

It's been a while since I did anything like this, but a few years ago I made an MP3 album from a live concert DVD.

Unfortunately I forget the name of the tool, however I used some software which analyses the inserted DVD then lists the available chapters. Within each chapter, there are options to rip the video, audio, or subtitle streams. I ripped the audio, which was mixed in both DD5.1 (surround) and DD2.0 (stereo).

From there, I used another tool to convert the audio (.AC3 format, I believe) to discreet mono WAV tracks, then experimented with remixing the 5.1 down to stereo and comparing it to the pre-mixed stereo version. Once I came up with a mix I was satisfied with, I exported everything out as stereo WAV tracks, then used an MP3 encoder. Finally, I ID3 tagged all of the tracks and added album art. The results were pretty good, purely digital (i.e. DA conversion) and allowed me to enjoy the live DVD on my MP3 player (...like I say, this was a few years ago now - before smartphones that would no trouble playing ripped DVDs were a thing...).

It was a nice little "I wonder if I can do that..." project for a rainy Sunday afternoon. ;)

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I did try Handbrake, but didn't work for me. (In other words, the process just froze up.) I could try it again. But I think the issue that may be arising has to do with the DVD being commercial (and copyrighted),

Newer versions after 0.9.3 shipped without the libdvdcss which disallowed ripping your copy protected DVDs for personal use.

However you can restore that capability by downloading it online and copying to your Windows ProgramFiles\Handbrake directory:

https://www.howtogeek.com/102886/how-to-decrypt-dvds-with-hardbrake-so-you-can-rip-them/

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3