Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

suggest a tube overdrive pedal (for Legend clonewheel)

Being more of a jazz and reggae/ska player plus soul/r&b, I have a preference for the Tall & Fat vs. the Organ Grinder.

Maybe I'd need both eventually; the latter more for hard rock and metal.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is the Tall and Fat pedal a better option than a full Vent setup?

They don't really overlap. T&F emulates the AO28 tube preamp in a Hammond organ; Vent emulates the tube amp (and rotary effect and speaker/cabinet coloration) of a Leslie. In terms of signal chain, clonewheel-->T&F-->Vent would be the most authentic processing signal path.

Ahh, thank you for this tidbit! When I was trying my many guitar pedals to get the "best" organ sound out of my Roland VR09, the absolute winning combo was VR09 (distortion, leslie off), -> Motion Sound "Vintage Tube Classic" pedal -> Neo Vent (disortion almost completely off).

That really was a killer combo, and now it makes sense - basically, I was getting the A028 preamp from the Motion Sound, and the Full Leslie from the Vent.

Unfortunateley, the Motion Sound pedal is quite large/heavy, so I only use that combination for recording.

roygBiv, I didn't know Motion Sound made a "Vintage Tube Classic" pedal. Did you mean a Speakeasy "Vintage Tube Classic" "clone" pedal made for Motion Sound rotating speakers?

Opps, sorry to be confusing - it is indeed a Speakeasy "Vintage Tube Classic" "clone" pedal made for Motion Sound rotating speakers (it says Motion Sound on the lower-right corner, so I just put that in my message).

(apparently, according to their PDF manual, the "Motion Sound" moniker is what they ascribe to their pedals that have a 1/4" output).

https://speakeasy.federalproductions.com/assets/90b4b33a9c/Pedal-Vintage-Tube-Preamp-OM.doc.pdf

One option not yet mentioned is the BK Butler Tube Driver (or Real Tube, etc., there are various names out there)

Apparently Mr. Butler first designed these for his organ (the one with a keyboard I mean), not guitar.

https://www.in2guitar.com/driver.html

The Chandler Tube Driver I mentioned above IS a BK Butler in a 19", 1HU unit.

The 19" unit added "contour", "middle" and "bias" controls, the latter being a special feature Eric Johnson got added by Butler for his BK Butler pedal.

There´s a lot of and mainly guitarist´s esotheric talk on the web.

These toys do what they shall do ... they are pre-amps and don´t mimik a Leslie´s power amp overdrive !

I still own and it was always my favourite for organ patches from whatever MIDI synth/ module and together w/ a Dynacord CLS222.

Mine is modded w/ a different military grade tube and something in the PSU,- at least w/ a different toroidal transformer,- one of my former techs did.

The combo already introduced a great organ sound in a band context when I used a DX7mkIIFD´s operators for the drawbar settings, keyclick and percussion.

I remember there was a tutorial and settings in a former keyboard mag issue somewhere in the 80s.

:)

A.C.

If I were going to spend money on a pedal for a clonewheel it would be something that emulated the AO-28 amplifier. I believe the front runners for this are the Speakeasy 122 AMA (NLA unless a used one comes along) and the Lounsberry T&F. That is where I'd put my money if I were going this route.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

If I were going to spend money on a pedal for a clonewheel it would be something that emulated the AO-28 amplifier. I believe the front runners for this are the Speakeasy 122 AMA (NLA unless a used one comes along) and the Lounsberry T&F. That is where I'd put my money if I were going this route.

The Speakeasy emulates both the AO-28 and the Leslie power amp. The Leslie is probably the most important part of the overdrive.

Preamp tube overdrive for organ is better than solid state, but it is somewhat fizzy.

Power amp tube overdrive provides the creamy sizzle that you really want.

Kinda why I like the Vent; surprisingly good for not having an actual tube. Best non-tube emulation of the leslie amp that I've heard.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yeah, I'd be more inclined towards the Speakeasy, if it's still made or is occasionally available used.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Yeah, I'd be more inclined towards the Speakeasy, if it's still made or is occasionally available used.

Speakeasy AMA can't be beat sound wise. It was expensive when it was in production, and is a 2 rack space unit, if you have room for that.

Anything is occasionally available used, I have seen these over the years, but not very often.

:nopity:

Here's a video comparing seven overdrive units on a Hammond C3 organ, including several mentioned in this thread.

[video:youtube]

"As you can hear from the video, the only ones reacting as a vintage Leslie saturation are the Speakeasy, the Organ Drive and the Tall & Fat." [Excerpt from one of the comments by Marco, who made the video]

I actually like Bootsy Collins' preferred pedal, the Ampeg Bass Scrambler, the best of anything in that set of seven, excepting maybe the Speakeasy but it wasn't the same type of playing until the very end of that first segment. The Ampeg pedal is actually still in production and costs a bit under $130. With Yamaha now the owners of Ampeg, probably they'll keep this popular pedal around.

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/ampeg/scrambler#pictures

Hah, the original version was a failure, according to the article posted above! I don't like Sweetwater's audio demos on bass guitar, and feel I would still prefer my EHX Bass Big Muff for bass. Also, many comment the new one is designed for active basses, and I now exclusively use passive basses. But this also means it should mate well with keyboard output.