Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poll: Favorite VST Piano?

Jazz+

VST Piano  

153 members have voted

1. 1. VST Piano

Here you go

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pianoteq

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I have a lot of piano VST's here :-

- 8 Dio: 1969 Piano

- Embertones: Walker 1955 Concert D

- Modartt: Pianoteq 7 Pro, Bluthner Model 1

- NI: Alicia Keys, The Gentleman, The Giant, The Grandeur, The Maverick, Una Corda

- Orange Tree Samples: Rosewood Grand

- Simple Sam Samples: Signature Grand

- Soniccouture: Hammersmith Free

- XLN Audio: Studio Grand

- Waves: Grand Rhapsody

My favorite of these is Embertones Concert D. I love this piano library and pretty much use it exclusively. Pianoteq has come a long way and the new NY Steinway is my favorite from their collection so far! I like how Pianoteq feels to play (though the Concert D is also excellent in this area) but it doesn't match the realism that the larger sample libraries have. However, the gap is definitely getting noticeably smaller with every release and maybe one day Pianoteq will match or even exceed the best sample libraries. My other favorite piano library that I own is the Signature Grand. This piano has a different concept as it is intended to be able to sound like lots of well known recordings. The piano is the same piano in the same room as Spitfires Hans Zimmer piano but it's a much smaller sized library. I sometimes use this as a basic reference mixing point for when I use the Concert D.

I voted Garritan, because the only other one I have from this list is Addictive. I have the Lite version of CFX and I would say it's my "best" piano as far as dynamics and detail. It certainly requires the most storage!

Nothing wrong with Addictive Keys though, I still use the Upright. I got it on sale to replace the Logic pianos, which I do not like.

Often I'll just pull up the Grandeur from NI to plink around as it loads quicker and sounds nice. I haven't even tried the free Hammersmith just yet, been meaning to.

I have a few "character" pianos like My Piano and a couple from Sampletekk that aren't as hi-fi, but would be useful in their own way if you don't need a big ol clear CFX sound.

Pianoteq. I have a theory that listeners prefer sample-based pianos, because they will always sound more natural. This is why sample-based pianos are popular among music producers working in a DAW. But physical modelling pianos (e.g. Pianoteq) will always be more natural to play because they respond exactly how you play, they don't have audible stepping between samples, they don't have round-robin (literally, playing different sounds even though you played exactly the same way). These advantages are not really audible to the audience but they make the piano more responsive and more enjoyable to play.

Only one on the list deserves a mention imho, (Ravenscroft) - but for me, Pianoteq for sure - espeically after V7. I am another who wonders why it is not on the voting list. Unless sample based is the citerium?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I don't have a favorite. I think about the project vibe and what works. My library spans, 8Dio, Embertone, Native Instruments, Cinesamples, Soniccouture, XLN Audio and Garritan CFX, as well as Arturia and the stock plug ins in Logic.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Pianoteq. I have a theory that listeners prefer sample-based pianos, because they will always sound more natural. This is why sample-based pianos are popular among music producers working in a DAW. But physical modelling pianos (e.g. Pianoteq) will always be more natural to play because they respond exactly how you play, they don't have audible stepping between samples, they don't have round-robin (literally, playing different sounds even though you played exactly the same way). These advantages are not really audible to the audience but they make the piano more responsive and more enjoyable to play.

+1 Because of this I'm pretty sure I play better with Pianoteq than with sample-based VSTs (i.e. I have Ravenscroft, Ivory 2, and KeyScape).

You've only included one of my top three.

The poll can"t be edited, therefore I"ll post a new poll and cut Wave and add Pianoteq

Surprised nobody like the Vienna Imperial

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I only voted for the newer Bos because I usually like smaller pianos. Otherwise I would've chosen the Imperial Synchron edition. But that's not my favourite VSL piano either. Probably the Steinway overall.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager