Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cymbal polishing...your thoughts

zeronyne

I have all Zildjian A Customs with the brilliant finish. I should have thought it through because they look terrible now. I bought the Ziljian brilliant cymbal polish, and it works great, but in the instruction video, their solution for not erasing the printed logos is to just not polish the areas with the logos. This is not ideal, and I'm considering just polishing over them and just accepting that they are going to start to disappear? I noticed that "reinking kits" exist, but they are just glorified magic marker. Is there anything I should be rethinking here? And yes, it's mostly aesthetic, but for me, it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always try to think in terms of resale value. The Zildjian branding has a value to it and the better condition it is in the more value it will hold.

I don't have any definitive answer but you might look into cleaning the cymbals and then using a quality paste wax (car wax?) over just the logo areas to protect them.

No matter what, brass tarnishes. It's too bad they don't just stamp the brand into the cymbals!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It's too bad they don't just stamp the brand into the cymbals!

Oh, they do. All Zildjians have a small stamp of authenticity. But you've answered my question; I'm never going to sell these, so I think I'll feel OK even if the logo starts to fade from cleaning. Thanks.

"For instance" is not proof.

It's too bad they don't just stamp the brand into the cymbals!

Oh, they do. All Zildjians have a small stamp of authenticity. But you've answered my question; I'm never going to sell these, so I think I'll feel OK even if the logo starts to fade from cleaning. Thanks.

OK, so they didn't stop doing that. Good to know.

I'm not a drummer but I've owned a few kits. I wouldn't be able to play them in my 33 unit condo so I don't miss them.

I had some nice cymbals too, I do miss some of those. Especially the K Zildjian high hats, on the Sonor high hat stand. Great old gear!!!!

They are your cymbals so do as you wish and enjoy them. Most of the drummers I've known are always looking for that "one" cymbal, except they want a set of them!!!!

Almost worse than guitars!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I could be wrong but I think you can send the cymbals back to Zildian and get them to reapply the logo. For me personally, I play jazz a bit more than any other genre so my cymbals don't get cleaned as much (if at all). In most cases the dirtier (and older) the cymbal, the better it sounds. Now for anything else I tend to use either Roadie in a bottle or the Zildian cleaner, but both will for sure rub the logo off.

Gear: Drums/DW Jazz series

Keys/Yamaha Montage 6, Studiologic SL 88 Grand, Hammond C3 w/145

• 1 month later...
Prevention is key. Handling cymbals is the biggest cause in the need to polish. Handling happens in two primary ways. Mounting cymbals during setup and tear down, and muting cymbals. Getting finger prints on cymbals during setup can be minimized by careful handling and wearing gloves. Muting can be minimized by choosing one or two cymbals to do this with and not touching the others. Some may think this is extreme, but really, do you need to grab every cymbal in your setup? Perform chokes on a couple of cymbals and don't worry about loosing the logo on those. Then protect the others.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• 1 year later...