Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wrangling gear for a low rent livestream...

I think I have everything I need.

Keyboards

Monitors

Audio Interface

iPhone 6

TRS to TRRS Adaptor (SC4)

I'm trying to figure out how to get the audio signal into the iPhone. I tried using a cable coming from the audio interface headphone out into the iphone headphone jack, using the adaptor I mentioned above. I couldn't hear any audio signal come through though. any thoughts or recommendations to get something going with this setup? thanks.

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some audio interfaces designed to work with iOS devices. One thing people discover is Apple iOS devices don't always play well with others, BUT can get surprising results just on their own.

A Jazz guitarist from my guitar days does almost daily videos of his playing and the sound and picture are excellent people ask all the time what his record setup is. His setup is an iPhone with one of the clip on microphones (Zoom or Shure not sure which). The clip on mic's are better than iPhone's mic, but still a small setup. Then he sets the iPhone up on a stand to get camera in position. Then he places a small practice amp about nine inches behind the iPhone he plugs the guitar into. That's it, sound and picture are excellent. Simple setup and with some experimentation on placement works well.

Never use the TRRS input on the phone for any audio you care about. Some companies used to make audio interfaces for it; they all sounded like hammered cowflop. Just don't. Please.

The best way to get the audio into the iPhone is with any USB audio interface that has its own power supply, plus the absolutely essential Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter. My words, copied and pasted from another recent thread:

The adapter that you want, that makes all this possible, is the Apple Lightning To USB3 Camera Adapter. Do not, not, NOT try to save a few dollars by buying ANY non-Apple clone, even from excellent companies like Belkin. You want real Apple in this case, because the adapter is "smart"... once in a while an iOS update will flash its firmware to keep it current and running smoothly. Any adapter that can't do this is a time bomb.. it WILL stop working at some point. Spend the $39. Sleep easy.

So: the adapter plugs into the Lightning port. On the other end are two ports. One is USB-A and the other is Lightning.

Plug your Lightning charging cable into the Lightning port on the adapter, and plug the other end into an AC power supply. Your iPhone will now stay charged as you work and you won't have to worry about it dying on you. Sleep easier.

Now, the key to iOS being so very slick for music use is that at the system level, it's running almost exactly the same Core Audio and Core MIDI protocols as macOS does. That means that any, and I mean ANY, class compliant USB interface (i.e. one that doesn't need its own drivers) will work perfectly when you plug it in. Audio, MIDI, done.

I recommend a self-powered interface because a bus-powered one will sometimes make the iPhone complain if it thinks there's too much power drain. Plugging in your interface, and plugging in the adapter so your phone stays charged, is a very good idea.

I hope this helps.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Interesting. Well I have a bus powered audio interface, and the TRRS adaptor doesn't work anyways so I guess I need a whole new setup. File under- not that important after all...
If you use the Lightning to USB3 adapter, it can accept a lightning charger, and that might (should?) provide enough power for your audio interface. I figure it's worth $40 and a few minutes of your time - that USB3 adapter is useful in many other ways as the good Dr Mike explained.

If it doesn't work, do you have a powered USB hub? Audio interface->hub->Lightning adapter->iphone provides bus power to the interface and (if you run your phone's charging cable from a second USB port on the powered hub to the lightning socket on the Lightning USB3 adapter) to the phone. I hope I'm making sense here...

Cheers, Mike.

Interesting. Well I have a bus powered audio interface, and the TRRS adaptor doesn't work anyways so I guess I need a whole new setup. File under- not that important after all...
If you use the Lightning to USB3 adapter, it can accept a lightning charger, and that might (should?) provide enough power for your audio interface. I figure it's worth $40 and a few minutes of your time - that USB3 adapter is useful in many other ways as the good Dr Mike explained.

If it doesn't work, do you have a powered USB hub? Audio interface->hub->Lightning adapter->iphone provides bus power to the interface and (if you run your phone's charging cable from a second USB port on the powered hub to the lightning socket on the Lightning USB3 adapter) to the phone. I hope I'm making sense here...

Cheers, Mike.

thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely consider it if my laptop attempt fails.

I suppose I can ditch the iPhone and just use the camera in my laptop. It seems to love my Focusrite 4i4.

That would be like the setup I used for a long time for doing online lessons and practice videos. I had a USB mic's to get better sound and I got a USB video camera so I could place it in better position than trying to move the whole laptop around. If you have an audio interface don't need the USB mic just a USB video camera. I just recorded in to Quicktime it was all quick and good.

You use a Mac laptop? Their webcams don't look that good (in my - and many others, from what I read - opinion). There's a free iPhone app called Iriun Webcam that can stream full HD video to your Mac (and presumably, PCs though I'm not positive of that). I just confirmed that Zoom will let me select Iriun as a source though I'm not sure if video is sent as 720p or full 1080p. This next tidbit is not applicable to livestreaming, but fyi Quicktime player will let you select Iriun as a source so you can record video on your Mac through your phone's camera. Unfortunately you have to select "Maximum" quality in QT to get 1920 x 1080, which results in the file being written as ProRes - 15 seconds of video was over a quarter of a gigabyte! Set to "High" quality, it's written as an H264 file but at 720p resolution. That same 15 second file was under 20MB in size - over 10x smaller. You have to install the Iriun driver on the Mac (or PC?) as well as the app on the phone, and I'm not sure how it'll perform on an iPhone 6, but it's free so all you have to lose is time. My old phone's back camera (original SE, equivalent to an iPhone 6S) gave me much higher quality video than what I got from my Mac's webcam - night and day. My new phone (SE 2020) looks even better.

I suppose I can ditch the iPhone and just use the camera in my laptop. It seems to love my Focusrite 4i4.

That would be like the setup I used for a long time for doing online lessons and practice videos. I had a USB mic's to get better sound and I got a USB video camera so I could place it in better position than trying to move the whole laptop around. If you have an audio interface don't need the USB mic just a USB video camera. I just recorded in to Quicktime it was all quick and good.

Nice!

You use a Mac laptop? Their webcams don't look that good (in my - and many others, from what I read - opinion). There's a free iPhone app called Iriun Webcam that can stream full HD video to your Mac (and presumably, PCs though I'm not positive of that). I just confirmed that Zoom will let me select Iriun as a source though I'm not sure if video is sent as 720p or full 1080p. This next tidbit is not applicable to livestreaming, but fyi Quicktime player will let you select Iriun as a source so you can record video on your Mac through your phone's camera. Unfortunately you have to select "Maximum" quality in QT to get 1920 x 1080, which results in the file being written as ProRes - 15 seconds of video was over a quarter of a gigabyte! Set to "High" quality, it's written as an H264 file but at 720p resolution. That same 15 second file was under 20MB in size - over 10x smaller. You have to install the Iriun driver on the Mac (or PC?) as well as the app on the phone, and I'm not sure how it'll perform on an iPhone 6, but it's free so all you have to lose is time. My old phone's back camera (original SE, equivalent to an iPhone 6S) gave me much higher quality video than what I got from my Mac's webcam - night and day. My new phone (SE 2020) looks even better.

PC Laptop here. The video quality is do-able I'd say. Thanks for the heads up on Iriun.

I just confirmed that Zoom will let me select Iriun as a source though I'm not sure if video is sent as 720p or full 1080p.
I think the way it works is that Zoom requests the resolution it wants from the sending "webcam". I can't find the link now, but it's something like 576p for a 1-1 call, and 360p for calls with 3+ participants.

Regards, Mike.