Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is it bad to set a keyboard....?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zero authority on this besides the fact I've never had an issue doing so, though I imagine the weightier the keyboard the more problematic it could be.

I've never had any issues and if a keyboard isn't set up on a stand then I've got it standing on it's end in a case or a cupboard, but iirc there were issues with Korg boards with the RH3 action.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I had a StudioLogic 88 note hammer action controller years ago. Took it off of the stand and stood it up on its end to lean it against the wall and it popped really loud. The bottom 5 or 6 keys would not play and were visibly lower than the rest. Had to get it repaired. My thoughts after that is the heavier the keyboard and action the more likely something can go wrong when not resting in a proper upright position.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I've never had any issues and if a keyboard isn't set up on a stand then I've got it standing on it's end in a case or a cupboard, but iirc there were issues with Korg boards with the RH3 action.

Interesting - I own two Kronoses with RH3 and they live vertically for months at a time. I"ve never had any issues.

Yes, after a prolonged period all the funk oozes down to the bass end of the keyboard.

True. If I leave my Nord Stage on end too long, everything I play sounds like Dancing Queen.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

We all set the keyboards in one non-playing position or another to transport them to and from jobs, load-in/-out, etc, no? They shipped to us in every possible orientation as well. Those things are definitely not being kept holy by the same shipping companies we are complaining about in another thread.

The only real danger I can think of is that they'll do what one of my boards did once, which is to collapse face down with an explosive thwonk on a hard floor if you keep them too upright. That keyboard was completely fine after that dumb-ass move by me, by the way, which probably sent the wrong message going forward.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I have one of the original Kronos with the infamous trouble with RH3. There were several issues. When they were first released they shipped with cardboard inserts in front of the keys for the 73 and 88 with RH3. It was even suggested to reinsert them when transporting. Since I thought it was strange, I didn't do it while traveling with it in all positions in bouncy vehicles. After a while I noticed some keys beginning to stick, and realized the keybed had even slipped, rubbing against the front rail. I fixed it myself by tightening some internal screws with no further problems. Korg definitely heard about this from its owners, and corrected it. The new ones don't even ship with inserts anymore.
Lenny

I imagine it varies from model to model how well they are designed to withstand that kind of thing.

Due to the vagaries of trailer Tetris, I have a Kawai ES110 that had no choice but to ride on-end (in a well-foamed ATA case) in the front of a bouncy single axle trailer for... I dunno, maybe 15,000 miles of USA van touring over a two year period. I was dubious, but no issues ever arose; it played as great at the end of that experience as it did one day one. That really impressed me, for a keyboard that you might figure was built with home users and minimizing cost more in mind than maximum roadworthiness.

I have stored keyboards on their back, left, and right with no problems. Biggest problems always come from dropping or even bumpy rural road transportation.

I wouldn't store a keyboard upside down, worried about squishing controls.

I also found out the hard way that leaving a keyboard set up without covering it, invites dust to come in and muck up the velocity sensing; I hate opening up key beds.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned the Yamaha CS-80, which went out of whack if it was moved in any orientation other than right side up.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I had a StudioLogic 88 note hammer action controller years ago. Took it off of the stand and stood it up on its end to lean it against the wall and it popped really loud. The bottom 5 or 6 keys would not play and were visibly lower than the rest. Had to get it repaired. My thoughts after that is the heavier the keyboard and action the more likely something can go wrong when not resting in a proper upright position.

I had the same thing with my Privia PX350. After having been left against a wall for a couple of months, I found that the lowest A key was raised of about 2cm and won't return to its normal position. I didn't bother to repair it as I pratically never use it, so it's still that way. All other keys work ok.

My two Studiologic Studio 2001s were stored in a similar way, one of them for years, and never gave me any problem with the keys.