Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Running

Phred

Sounds a lot like interval training (running, or on an elliptical, or jumping rope etc)...go fast for a minute or two, then go slower for a minute or two, repeat as long as you can. Oddly my knee can handle that better than just steady slow running. Walking fast seems to doing a good job of wearing me out, and working at home I have the extra time that walking requires to give you a good workout :)

I'm far from being an expert, but my guess would be that now that you can generally do the runs, look at your form, or have someone else look at it for you. There may be something you could be doing differently or better. You might find some tips online as well. I like what I found from a guy named Golden Harper.

Also, make sure your shoes don't have too many miles on them.

Another thing you might consider is Run-Walk-Run from coach Jeff Galloway. Over there they call it "Jeffing"! :laugh: It's what I use. When I first started running I ran intervals until I built up to just running. Then I kept getting injured and having to start over. Then I tried Jeff's method and I still use it to this day. Believe it or not, you can actually be faster using this method than running continuously, because many slow down towards the ends of their runs.

Regardless of all that, congrats on doing it! Welcome to the club.

Many thanks Joe. The Jeffing method might be just what I need. Indeed the couch to 5 k starts with similar intervals, but it quickly develops into long runs with very litte, and then no walking (except at the beginning and the end). I like the long runs because I don't have to think about whether I need to switch etc and I can get into a rhythm (especially if I have music playing...), but maybe it is just too punishing for my body. The fact that you also suffered injuries (although regretful) is encouraging: it makes me fee a little less like a strange, fitness-resistant sloth....

I have added Jeffing to my to do list and I will try his ideas this year......It is nice that I can already see how well the method is working for you. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

So.....I tried one of Jeff Galloway (the coach Joe recommends) 's apps today. It is called 'Easy 5k - Run/Walk/Run'. I had to borrow an iphone to try it as I haven't got one. I have to tell you, this app is INCREDIBLE!!!

Its killer feature is something which I was not aware was even possible on any device: You can add a playlist of your songs and the app adjusts the BPM to match your running speed! It literally speeds the songs up or slows them down as your pace quickens or tires. The music sounds fine - no weird artefacts, no diseased, robotic sounding vocals. It was reading about this feature which made me go to the effort of borrowing the phone and installing the app - I really didn't think it could possibly work. But it does!

My dilemma now is that I have no iphone and this app is not available in the google play store. Can you think of any way in which I can get it to work on a samsung phone? Or have you come across something equivalent for samsung? I really don't ever want to run again without this app ever again. Having the music exactly at my pace is an absolute delight - as you all will appreciate. Makes running a million times more enjoyable.

As to Jeff himself: I was highly impressed with everything about his app inculding his verbal contributions. He was encouraging and made it more interesting. I am keen to work through the rest of the runs in the app. I am very hopeful that the run walk run method may be the means to allow me to continue running with (hopefully) no further injuries.

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I've seen Jeff have stuff on other platforms, like maybe Garmin? I don't remember.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 9 months later...

I wish I could get sub-four hour times in a marathon, then I might consider it. Since it takes me about 2.5 hours for 13.1, I ain't going to do the other half in less than 1.5 hours.

I was hoping to get my half time down over last winter but things conspired against me. This summer, my half marathons have been a bit of s struggle generally. I'm not sure if it's just because I didn't ramp back up right after last winter, or lousy timing and hotter weather. But I've been doing them, dammit. :mad:;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 4 months later...

I haven't been running in about three years.  Last one I did was about a 6-miler back in the spring of 2018.  Had to stop because the anxiety meds I was on at the time were really screwing me up--they drained nearly all of my energy and I gained nearly 80 lbs from them.  Stopped them cold turkey back in August of last year because they weren't doing anything except making me worse.  As soon as I was off of them I was able to start exercising daily to try to get my weight back down and to gain back my energy.  I'm hoping to get back into decent enough shape where I can start running regularly again, however I'm still pretty heavy and my core needs some major work--even a 2.5 mile brisk walk is giving my lower back some fatigue.  Slowly, but surely, I'll get there again.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• 2 months later...

Well, after power walking for the past couple of months, plus countless hours on my stationary bike for extra cardio, I went for my first run in about three years.  Did just under 4 miles in a little over 50 min.  13-minute mile pace, but considering that it's been about three years since my last run, I'll take it.  I found a few different loops around my neighborhood that I like, some have more hills than others, but I like having that option.

• Like 2

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Went out again yesterday morning, did the same 4-mile-ish loop, with a faster pace of about 12 min/mile.  What I might do to change things up, is alternate power-walking with running every time I go out, plus maybe some cycling thrown in.  Weather's getting warmer here in southern Maine, and I plan on taking full advantage of that.

• Like 2

Hardware

Software

Here's a question:  Can anyone recommend a good, affordable pair of split-style shorts?  I wore some 5"s and 7"s (both Nike) on my last two runs, and I'm not a huge fan of either one.  Short length doesn't bother me at all.  I already own a couple of pairs of Brooks (I think they're between 2" and 3") but as the weather gets nicer here, I'd like a few more.

Hardware

Software

Last time I looked for running shorts I only found ones that went to the knee.  Didn't want that length and pricey. 

Was at a Walmart and the swim trunks length was shorter and basically the same material as running shorts.

$6

There's a running shop a couple of towns over from me (Runner's Alley in Portsmouth, NH) that has some nice ones in stock, but they're either not in the size I'm looking for, or they're really expensive.

Hardware

Software

Ended up getting a couple things from Running Warehouse, should be here within the next week.

So, I wound up going a total of 17 or 18 miles last week (my Fitbit isn't as accurate when I don't bring my phone with me, but I'd rather not anyway--it's too bulky).  Not bad for my first week running after a four year hiatus.

• Like 2

Hardware

Software

I need to start incorporating some strength work myself.  I can handle bodyweight squats, but I cannot do a single lunge at all.

Hardware

Software

I have one bad knee (poor circulation from post-cancer leg surgery and radiation on that leg) that makes running painful.  Squats, nope, I wouldn't trust it to be stable but deadlifts are fine especially with the easy bars they have at the gym (that go around you instead of scraping up your shin like a regular bar).

For whatever reason playing basketball--mostly just shooting around-- doesn't hurt as much as even slow jogging.  Some of that has to be mental as you aren't thinking about the action of running (??)   This is on a hard outdoor court so it isn't due to a springy gym floor.

I actually enjoy weights and need to get on that leg press shown above.  

Above all I need to eat better.  It's difficult because my family keeps bringing "bad" food in for the kids and themselves and all it takes is one moment of weakness when it's around....

A couple of things happened today. Some new gear from Running Warehouse showed up. BOA singlet, and New Balance shorts, both of which were on clearance. Singlet has a snug fit, but that's fine with me as I prefer my clothes to fit close to my body. Shorts are perfect. They were advertised as 3", but I think they're actually 2", which again, is just fine with me. The shorter, the better.

20220511_132014.thumb.jpg.dc64df4b75aa2a2aa90bbf2ef5d8ea67.jpg

Next: Went for my usual 4-miles today, and wouldn't you know it, around mile 3.25, shin splint in my right leg. Bleh!  Had to resort to walking for a bit for that last 3/4 mile, which I was not very happy with, but I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I might do a power walk tomorrow and see how that goes, but I love working out so much that I can't go more than a day without doing anything active at all.

• Like 1

Hardware

Software

I'm taking a break for a few days due to this shin splint that's been bugging me.  Took my bike out yesterday morning for about 30 miles.  Main problem I have is actually mounting the bike--I guess I'm just not flexible enough for the task.  The bike is a proper size, with proper seat height, and it's still difficult.

Hardware

Software

Dave sorry to hear about your struggles, I wish you well.  I've been clawing my way back.  My treadmill broke over the winter, I gained 10 pounds.  Then I started doing laps on the high school track at night whenever it wasn't snow covered.  Wore gear that got me down to 27F pretty comfortably with no wind.  Now that the weather is good I can go back to my trail - Columbia Trail in Morris County, flat, nice surface (granules).  I've lost about 8 of those 10 pounds but is has been a tough go, hardest stretch of running I've had in the 30 years or so I've been doing it.  But now I am back to doing 4 milers in the 41 minute range.  Good news is that I think I solved my pain problem.  I had radiating nerve pain across my collar bone and down my arms, doctor was stumped but ruled out cardio thank God.  I searched and found that stretching my scalene muscles (3 muscles on either side of the neck) minimizes the pain.  I was very grateful for that because running is uncomfortable enough without radiating nerve pain!  I didn't realize how much I would miss running or actually being a runner.  I hope to get up to a cruising range of 7 - 8 miles before winter time.  It's tough because between wife, kids, sports, house blah blah blah not to mention practicing, jams and gigs....I can only get out 3 times a week max.  Also ordered the drive belt for my treadmill, I can't remember if I replaced it or not, but the symptoms it is exhibiting are what you would expect from a belt slip.  If it doesn't work I'll get another treadmill so my baseline fitness never falls as low as it got this winter.

• Like 2

Signed myself up for a 5-mile race at the end of June.  Don't know much about it, other than the starting line is about a mile from where I live (so there's a good warm-up jog), no course map at all, which would've been nice to have.  Seeing as the race is right in my area, I could train on the actual course.  Shouldn't be too difficult to build up my distance.  I can already do 4 miles at about 11 min/mile, give or take, depending on hills.  It'll just be a matter of building up my endurance, which could possibly be done by doing some more slower runs at maybe a 13-min/mile pace.  Going to rest for a couple more days due to the recent shin splint I got yesterday. 🤮  I could always take the bike out, or hop on my stationary bike for a while.

• Like 2

Hardware

Software

• 2 weeks later...

Went out and bought a floor mat and a foam roller today.  I'll have to get used to the roller, but hopefully, along with the stretching and lower-body work I'm doing, it'll help alleviate this pesky shin splint in my right leg.  Bleh.  I think that once I get used to this roller, I'll invest in a better one.  Only paid $7 for it.

I tried a couple of things on the mat, mostly hip thrusts (bridges) and single-leg raises, and I really like the mat.  It's way more comfortable than my carpet.  10mm thick, soft, and quite comfortable for floor work/stretching.  Good value for the $14 I spent on it.

Hardware

Software

I haven't had shin splits in many a year--it's great, FOR ONCE, to have something I had in younger days not get worse as I get older.   I think they are (or can be) shoe-related...I got them immediately after buying some POS k-swiss tennis shoes to play basketball in, along with a nasty case of plantar fasciitis.  Both happened pretty much immediately after wearing those shoes just once.

My damn knee just doesn't like me running.  I would love to power through tiredness, but stabbing pains in my knee at every step just make it torture.  My knee is damaged due to lack of circulation from cancer surgery and radiation so it is what it is.   I just have to do other lower-impact things to try to lose weight, changing the diet by far the most important....

I think I just did too much when I got back into running three weeks ago.  First week of May, I went nearly 4 miles Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, and Sat (at a comfortable 11-12 min/mile pace), then took Sunday off.  Two weeks ago, I went out Mon, Tues, Wed, and Thurs, and got the shin splint on Thurs.  Took a break from running for about a week, then tried again this past Wednesday, only 3 miles, at a really slow 13-minute mile pace, and that aggravated it.  Could be my shoes, could be my lack of strength in some areas, could be anything.

Hardware

Software

Hmm.  I'd say I'm pretty much in the center of the foot when taking a step, maybe slightly in the pronate direction on occasion, but it's not uncomfortable.

Took a few days off from running and did some other stuff cardio-wise (cycling, power-walking, stationary bike in the morning) and added some more lower-body stretching/exercises.  I don't go too hard with those, so it's safe for me to do a 15-20 minute routine daily, without any tiredness/fatigue.  Went for a really slow 5-miler today, probably 13:30/14 min/mile pace.  Felt comfortable.  Right shin seems okay, I definitely felt some burning for the first 10-15 minutes or so, but it went away pretty quickly, and I'm feeling good.  I'll probably go for a power walk in a couple of days, and mix in a little bit of running with that.  Important thing is I'm feeling comfortable.

Hardware

Software

Did a slow 5-mile run a few days ago, in about 1. hour, 15 min.  Another 5 miles today and shaved off 5 minutes.  Did some lower body stretching/strength work in between those.  Shin splint seems to be a thing of the past, hasn't acted up on me at all over the last few days, so I'm happy about that.  I do have a 5-mile race coming up at the end of June, and it just so happens that the course goes right by my apartment building, so it's nice to be able to train on that loop at my convenience.

• Like 2

Hardware

Software

• 2 weeks later...

Did a total of 15 miles this week, plus a 4-mile power walk.  Training for a 5-mile race in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to get my 5-mile loop down to an hour, and I'm pretty close.  Total loop is 5.25 miles as my apartment is about 1/8 mile from the course for the race.  Today's run came in at 1:05:00, so I'm almost there.

• Like 2

Hardware

Software

• 2 weeks later...

5-mile race on Saturday morning, goal is 1 hour or less.  I've been training on the race course for the last few weeks (it runs right by my apartment) and I'm very close to hitting it.  Then, last Friday, they started road construction on part of the course--bleh!  Now, I have to figure something else out.  Really hoping they didn't tear up the road for the race, I signed up for a road race, not a trail race.  Lol

Hardware

Software

5-mile race was this morning, bright and early at 8AM.  Nothing was blocked off at all, not even the main roads, so traffic was going right around me.  Most people were running on the sidewalk, which to me, is like Kryptonite to a runner.  I like pavement myself.

Anyhoo, the course itself starts with a hill, ends with a hill, and there are a few hills within the last 45% of the course, one of which is a long, not-so-steep plateau.  I didn't mind the hills in the middle of the course, but the one at the start is kind of a monster, and the last one is a very steep monster.  I probably wouldn't recommend this run to a beginner.  I've pretty much discovered that I need to do some hill work.

My goal was an hour, finished in 58:14 according to the race clock, which I'm assuming is gun time.  For just two months of running after a 4-year break, I'll take it.

• Like 1

Hardware

Software

Going up the final hill of the 5-mile race yesterday morning.  One thing I learned from that experience--I need more hill training.

52171520977_95eede3df3_c.thumb.jpg.d0c5c1d1b4ddc5c52098b3edde635b9a.jpg

• Like 1

Hardware

Software

Total mileage last week was 35.  11 miles on Sunday, split up into two runs, one in the morning, one in the evening.  Monday was a rest day.  Focused on lower body/core training.  Tuesday-Friday were 5 miles each, with Tuesday being somewhat of a tempo run, and the other days being nice and slow.  Got fitted for some new shoes on Friday as well (went with Mizuno Wave Rider 25's.)  Saturday was an easy 3 miles, to test out the new shoes.  I like them a lot.  Plenty of support in the heel, with good cushioning around the ball of the foot.  Did another 5 miles today (Sunday.)

Hardware

Software