Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Numa Compact 2X Velocity Setting

Hello, I am new here. I got my Numa Compact and has been couple months pass. My friend tried and said that velocity has problem. when he try to play soft and hard the sound are similar the volume are similar. is there anything to do with the setting? or it is like this originally. He is from the piano background.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My NY"s resolution is to not post on any forums after making merry, but want to try and help tonight so just pasting from page 24 of the manual:

Global edit

To enable the GLOBAL edit, keep pressed the EDIT button for a few seconds; you will find various pages (shown on the top right area of the display) with functions that will affect the instrument, regardless what Program is selected. To escape from the function, press again the EDIT button and all settings will be memorized automatically.

When the focus (cursor) is on the top area of the display, rotating the encoder you can select the various pages; clicking on the cursor, the focus will be moved on the parameter and rotating the encoder you can change the related value.

The GLOBAL EDIT main functions are:

TRANSPOSER

You can transpose the instrument to any other key; click on the encoder to move the cursor on the value and rotate it to input the desired transposition range.

GLOBAL TUNER

This function allows to 'tune' the instrument, in case you have to play along with another instrument that is not tuned to the standard (A=440 Hz).

RANGE: 415,7 - 466,2 Hz

VELOCITY CURVE

You can select a different velocity curve, according to your taste and playing technique. There are 3 factory curves (SOFT/ NORMAL/HARD) and a programmable FIXED velocity setting, with the related value.

FIXED VELOCITY

You can set here the fixed velocity value (from 1 to 127) when the FIXED velocity is selected.

STRINGS RESONANCE (DAMPER EFFECT)

Here you can control the amount of the STRINGS RESONANCE post-processing, that adds a more realistic effect to all acoustic PIANO sounds. Please note that the CONCERT GRAND sound also has a separate 'release and resonance' built in natural ef- fect, not controlled by this parameter.

SPEAKERS

Change the speaker behavior. E Please note that the speakers require that the external power

supply is connected.

OFF: Speakers always off.

AUX: Speakers always on.

AUTO: The speakers are automatically turned off when you plug the headphones.

Hello, I am new here. I got my Numa Compact and has been couple months pass. My friend tried and said that velocity has problem. when he try to play soft and hard the sound are similar the volume are similar. is there anything to do with the setting? or it is like this originally. He is from the piano background.

The Numa Compact 2x has a semi-weighted spring action and will never feel and play like a fully-weighted hammer action piano. Having said this, I set my Compact 2x's velocity curve to "HARD'" and am able to play piano sounds with more control and dynamics. Of course what works for me may not work for you or your friend.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Both of the previous posters were accurate and have given some very solid advice. I have just reviewed the settings on mine again and I actually went in the other way in GLOBAL settings and have typically played all of my voices and programs in the SOFT velocity setting. It has given me sufficient playability for when I have used my NC2X both on stage and as a MIDI controller, which it actually is also very good at. I would say to just select GLOBAL EDIT, go to VELOCITY CURVE and then try either the SOFT or HARD settings. I have found that the NORMAL setting does seem to play in a manner that is occasionally erratic, for lack of a better term, depending upon how closely your hands are positioned to the rear of the keys and of course you would not want to use FIXED for any type of expressive playing. Just experiment a bit and find what works best for you. This keyboard is surprising adjustable in GLOBAL EDIT, and when you have it set up properly for your playing style you should be fine!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I suspect that when Hard (or Soft or Normal) is selected, it won't even give you the option of entering a Fixed velocity (which would be irrelevant anyway).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I agree, the HARD setting is much more sensitive. Wait is that a double entendre?

A few extra options would have been nice, but it seems to play fine with this setting.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.