Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I just got the vaccine. Ask me anything.

btw- getting the Shingrex shot was like getting hit in the shoulder with a baseball bat. But if you know anything about shingles or post herpetic neuralgia, it is completely worth it.

I've been thinking about this one myself. In addition, I always described getting a tetanus shot exactly as you described the shingles shot.

:nopity:

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

btw- getting the Shingrex shot was like getting hit in the shoulder with a baseball bat. But if you know anything about shingles or post herpetic neuralgia, it is completely worth it.

No kidding, man. I felt like I had been bat-wacked and then contracted the flu. A miserable 48 hours. Other vaccines are a walk in the park compared to that one. Fortunately the booster was not nearly as bad.

After seeing what my mother went through with shingles, I would suffer any vaccine discomfort to avoid it.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

OK so the process for the phizer vaccine and after care is:-

1 - Have first injection

2 - Maintain social distances, no interaction with friends and relatives within a home environment, continue with sanitizer and facemask use.

3 - 21 days later have second injection.

4 - Maintain social distances, no interaction with friends and relatives within a home environment, continue with sanitizer and facemask use for at least 28 days.

5 - Maximum level of immunity attained.

6 - Maintain social distances, continue with sanitizer and facemask use to help contain the spread of the virus by physical contact to those who are still at risk or have not had the vaccine.

Is that about it?

Col

The famous graph

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2020/12/12/22165286/coronavirus-vaccine-chart-fda

suggests some pretty good immunity a couple of weeks after the first dose. My impression, not having read the entire studies, is that they did not test for asymptomatic covid throughout the study, so that would be something they could not speak to. Since it's still a possibility, isolation and social distancing still needs to be maintained. They also didn't deliberately expose people, so they can't recommend intentionally unmasking and getting yourself exposed...

I'm still waiting for my second head to grow. If it does, I'll be able to play one handed keyboard with each head...

I get mine next week. For some reason I was put in the first priority group, but I decided to delay a couple of weeks.

The shingles shot was the only thing I've ever had a reaction to--threw up that night and was miserable for a couple of hours, then it passed. If I recall correctly, that was one of those where you had to get two shots. Second shot was a breeze...no reaction at all. It was striking to me because I've had a zillion shots and that's the only one that gave me trouble.

Must have been the tracking chip, I guess.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Hoping the best for those getting vaccinated i.e. no adverse reactions.

Developing perfect pitch wouldn't be a bad thing. :D

A new strain of the virus is being reported. Supposedly, the vaccine should still have an efficacy (effectiveness) of 80-85% against the new strain. It's 90-95% against the original strain.

I love the way our vocabulary has been increased during these times. I hadn't heard efficacy and efficacious in decades. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If you work with a data scientist type like I do, you get your vocabulary enhanced often. I have to stop him every conversation at least once...I'm an English major but some of the words he uses I only know from books and have never heard spoken aloud :)

The bans against UK travel are pure security theater at this point. (Not that anyone who can avoid it should be traveling anyway). It's out, it's everywhere or will be soon. As far as I know, Florida is still all "come to sunny FLA! Everything's open!"...and it basically is. UK people have been flying here and for all I know are still coming in.

My band continues to play indoor club gigs, sans me. Hell they are doing one at an Eagles club (like a VFW) this weekend, a completely indoor place packed with old people.

I find it interesting that you looked.

I guess I'm a bit squeamish, so I studiously avoid watching needles getting put into my body.

With all the televised vaccines now occurring, I actually pointed out to my wife that everyone seems to look straight away, as if they are trying to avoid watching also. This prompted a discussion. My wife said that she actually likes to observe the whole thing.

I think that, whether one looks or not, might reveal something interesting about one's personality, but can't say exactly what.

Needles are weird. They typically hurt much less than, say, pulling off a band-aid yet they fill a lot of people with abject terror. I start sweating when a needle gets near me, and I've had a LOT of them after going through cancer treatment years ago.

If nothing else, this thread reminds me to go get the Shingles vaccine.

If you work with a data scientist type like I do, you get your vocabulary enhanced often.

Surely, the type of work we do can definitely expose us to more words and acrononyms that folks do not typically use.

But, as we're going through the pandemic and listening to various medical experts and pundits through media reports, the public is hearing more words and terms. :laugh:

My band continues to play indoor club gigs, sans me. Hell they are doing one at an Eagles club (like a VFW) this weekend, a completely indoor place packed with old people.

They are shooting for herd immunity or a trip to the ICU or cemetery whichever comes first. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Strange, I never watch them give me a shot but I usually watch them take blood. They always have trouble finding a vein. The only shot that ever gave me problems was erythromycin about 40 years ago. I got a shot to combat flue symptoms, started walking out of the room at the doctor's office and heard someone say "Get him in a chair." Ten minutes later I became aware again and was sitting in a chair outside of the room. The nurse said "He's okay now." I sat there 15 minutes and then went home. Strange experience.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The famous graph

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2020/12/12/22165286/coronavirus-vaccine-chart-fda

suggests some pretty good immunity a couple of weeks after the first dose. My impression, not having read the entire studies, is that they did not test for asymptomatic covid throughout the study, so that would be something they could not speak to. Since it's still a possibility, isolation and social distancing still needs to be maintained. They also didn't deliberately expose people, so they can't recommend intentionally unmasking and getting yourself exposed...

I'm still waiting for my second head to grow. If it does, I'll be able to play one handed keyboard with each head...

Woah......it gives you a Manitou? Because THAT would be AWESOME......no more lonely nights for THIS guy.....

I can think of 1 or 2 of my friends, besides me, who are opting out of gigging right now. Everyone else is back to business as usual. When everything first shut down, our county in SW Indiana was reporting 20-30 new cases a day. If you saw 40 in a day it would raise an eyebrow. Now we're reliably clocking over 1000 every week, with Christmas and New Year's Eve poised on the horizen, and everyone is acting blissfully unaware. The real mystery is most of these guys out there gigging are weekend warrior types who probably don't need the money, it's just their chance to go play Rock Star.....pretty damn stupid in any case for a gig that on a good night pays maybe $100 if you ask me......

Around here I guess I'm in group 1c.
Me too. Age 65+ with high risk medical conditions. 1a are health care workers and long term care residents, 1b are essential workers.

Red Stratocaster, rosewood neck, in the background.
Good catch. Fender or copy?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I always watch them give shots and take blood.

Glad you posted this, Ken. Stay well and thanks for being on the front lines.

As for musicians who keep gigging as "normal" through COVID...well, let's just say my "friends" list on social media has shrunk considerably in the last 9 months. It is enjoying the inverse proportion to my waistline.

I have asthma, and am comfortably into the second half of my life, so I am guessing I'll be maybe one population group ahead of the general public. But it bums me out that my kids aren't in the suggested age range for the vaccine. I may hold off until they can get one too, so they don't feel thrown to the wolves.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I may hold off until they can get one too, so they don't feel thrown to the wolves.

Is that the better route, or should everyone who can get it get it when they can, to reduce the risk of catching and spreading it? [i know the data isn't in on spreading yet. But there is the possibility of reducing the viral load.]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm in the lowest-of-the-low category. Already had COVID, asymptomatic, still testing positive for antibodies. Under 40yo. Work from home, very rarely go out (since the pandemic). I SHOULD be the last person to receive it. I will JUMP at getting the vaccine, but I will get in the back of the line to make sure at-risk people like my parents and friends get it first.

From my understanding, the first dose has less side-effects, with the second being the one that often gives people some minor problems. Side effects seem to be more common than with the annual flu shot, but with far lower rates of severe problems.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I may hold off until they can get one too, so they don't feel thrown to the wolves.

Is that the better route, or should everyone who can get it get it when they can, to reduce the risk of catching and spreading it? [i know the data isn't in on spreading yet. But there is the possibility of reducing the viral load.]

I should get it when I can, but I feel awkward doing so when my kids can't. They function well, but they have been really unnerved deep down. I don't want to leave them hanging. Now, if their fear is more about losing me or mom, than them getting it, I'll take my early slot. If not, I'll just pretend I don't have asthma and get it with the rest of the muggles.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Got mine this a.m. For fellow needlephobes... this was an absolute nothing. Feeling fine 3.5 hours since, may feel a little sore tomorrow. Meh. I go back in 3 weeks.

Wish this happened well before my kid goes back to full-time in-person high school, but it is what it is.

In addition to my consistent PPE use and distancing, this vaccine helps me further protect people around me, and that's good for something.

-John

PS: my dose gave me 6G connectivity. Don't be a sucker... get the upgrade.

I make software noises.

I also got the first dose yesterday. Im a full time firefighter. I got the Moderna shot , with the 2nd shot in 28 days. Initially after about 15-20 minutes I did feel a little lightheaded, and a little nausea after about 30 minutes but both very mild. The only thing I"m still experiencing is arm pain at the site , like someone punched you in the arm but its not too bad. I guess we"ll see if anything else happens but I"m not worried. I really hope the majority of people get vaccinated, I cant take much more of this crap , seeing people die almost every shift from this is taking a toll on me For the doubters and deniers , its very very real.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

My wife works at UT MD Anderson Cancer Center and she could theoretically get the shot now. They're asking employees to use the Honor System and not jump ahead of other groups. A friend (who is over 65) sent me a link the other day to a local hospital and it seemed like I could get the shot there. We both think we'll wait even though we'd like to get it ASAP.

Aussie_Chicago - I'm really sorry you have to see all that. It has to be tough, and I can't imagine it. Thanks for all you do!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...

[align:left]Following up.

I got the second shot yesterday. 12 hours later I began feeling fatigued, achey and a little dizzy. I checked my temp and it was slightly elevated. Took Tylenol and naproxen. We went to bed late and by then I felt better. When I woke up I felt like it was allergy season. Nasal congestion, cough, headache, disorientation. Not terrible, just annoying. I had an appointment this afternoon and they took my temp before going into the office. It was normal. I still feel slightly fatigued and achey 30 hours post shot. My arm is sorer than the last time but it's not bad. I see myself going to bed earlier than usual.

And that's about it. My wife had no reaction at all after her second shot other than the sore arm. I hope that everybody who wants one can get it soon.

Peace[/align]

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

No earthly idea when I'll get it here in FL. Every county does things differently, some seem to be wait in line first come first serve (which a bunch of older people did, overnight in their cars).

All my county says is that over-65 can sign up for an appointment, but I don't know if anyone is able to do so currently. I'm not 65 so it's just wait in any case.

I'm sure there's some dipshit states doing worse at this, but probably not many. We have to live up to our "Florida Man" reputation or we lose it I guess.

Edit: seeing Murfreesboro up above me reminds me of my college days at MTSU. Lots of fun there, and I still remember delivering pizzas in pre-gps days...and I found that Murfreesboro is NOT a town with a lot of street lights or addresses visible. Fun to go on a google street tour of old stomping grounds, although things have changed since the late 80s!