Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DHL warning !

On july 30, 2020, I shipped,- a rarely used, mint condition Sonic Core XITE-1,- I acquired and tested for a friend in Israel,- with DHL.

Shipment is insured w/ up to 2K EUROs !

Tracking got lost aug. 04, Frankfurt/germany "International Parcel Center" after "will be transported to the destination".

The parcel never arrived at it´s destination.

Many calls w/ customer service, many complains by phone and email traffic, enquiry w/ confirmation of receipt twice,- ALL documents complete.

Failure to meet any deadlines by DHL,- unusable and inconsitent answers from DHL employees at phone and customer service don´t even react when requesting an answer via registred letter w/ reply advice.

Instead, DHL deleted the shipment completely,- so it doesn´t exist anymore when using the tracking code.

I´d say that´s fraud !

Shipping costs were EUR 80,99 incl. insurance up to 2K for a 6.4 kilos parcel.

I have pics from double boxed packing job, on the scale of post office w/ shipping label as also content in detail.

The insanity,- you cannot utilize insurance until DHL (!!!) declares the parcel as lost or stolen,- and they won´t since 4 month now.

They also don´t inform about enquiry at all.

In fact, they request documents and do nothing in the hope the claimant gives up.

I now poassibly need lawyers and it might go to court, producing costs exceeding the value of the parce for several times.

So,- beware shipping w/ DHL in future,- in most cases it works well, but when it hits you, you´re scewed.

And when someone gets,- or comes across,- a "cheapo" offer for a Sonic Core XITE-1 DSP interface in future,- please let me know.

I already informed S|C about the loss and there will be no support for that device anymore (I have S/N and keyfiles still).

A.C.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have different experiences, and sometimes there are regional or local variances. For instance, in my old area of California, USPS was by far the most trustworthy, reliable, safe, and fast as well as affordable of the main carriers. Here in my new area of North Carolina, people have nothing but disdain for USPS, and yet almost anything I get via UPS here is immediately redirected to USPS by UPS Ground before it even starts its journey.

I rarely have DHL as an option, but have consistently found them to be by far the best in terms of safety, policies, etc. But that was in California. I ordered something from Germany last week but it will be delivered to the home I own out west vs. the one I'm renting here, as I expect to be back there some day. I ordered something smaller to compensate for not bringing anything with me on my long journey, that will be delivered by DHL from Turkey or maybe Armenia as that's where the luthier lives and works. So we shall see, in February or March when it arrives, whether DHL proves to be a good option for me here in this area.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Having been a seller on eBay since 2000, I've had sub-optimal service from UPS, FedEx and UPSP. I've never used DHL, which doesn't mean they aren't engaged by one of the big three here and there.

Both UPS and FedEx use the Post Office but they are far from perfect in terms of a track record with me.

FWIW - both UPS and FedEx recently literally tossed packages on my front deck, which is exposed to the public AND inclement weather. The UPS package was soaked, the cardboard was soft and wet.

USPS hasn't done that yet but they somehow smashed the cabinet of a complete and working Mesa Boogie Blue Angel guitar amp that was very well packed. I guess when you use sub-contractors and they drop something 6 feet onto it's corner on the pavement they are going to blame the seller for not packing it to their standards, even if it is better than what they'd do if you paid them to pack.

Sorry it happened, a major reason I try to sell anything valuable or difficult to ship locally. I've more or less stopped buying stuff that I can't easily and safely ship. Even then you can't be sure it will arrive. I have more but will leave it at that.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It sucks when this happens.

I had an eBay sale item so called lost all £400 of it and it took 4 months of hastle.

I learned never buy postage and insurance via eBay, always buy it direct then there is no intermediary to have to go through.

Depending upon where you are the laws will be different to mine.

Here we would send a registered letter to the companies head office and in it give full details of the problem and give them 28 days from receipt of the letter to settle the outstanding claim or court action will be initiated via the small claims service. Where for £25 we can take out a writ against the company and they them have to respond to the court, court costs will eventually be included in the settlement as will any out of pocket expenses. Hence companies avoid having to go to court as the case will be in our home town.

Col

I purchased a mixer 15 months ago and it was shipped to me via. US mail (USPS). It was insured for the full amount and tracked. I'm still awaiting it's delivery. Lost in transit. Never arrived and according to USPS's tracking system it is still on its way! It took 6 months for the USPS to issue a refund to the seller who then issued my refund. Giant clusterf*ck.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

In rural areas always include your telephone number as the second line of your name & address. It's essential here in Greece with lack of street names and house numbers. It is then difficult for them to say it was not possible to contact you.

All done.

Confirmation of enquiry already in august 2020,- no result up to now even the deadline is abiout 8 weeks according to DHL confirmation emails,- I got 2.

By DHL requested documents are complete.

they simply don´t react and it seems they don´t even search at all.

I already talked to people who worked for Deutsche Post and DHL a lifetime in the office.

DHL is a daughter company of Deutsche Post.

They never contacted the recipient and Israel Post confirmed it never arrived in the country.

The international tracking number didn´t change.

DHL simply deleted the shipment after my written complain in november,- about 3 month after all my phonecalls and emails w/customer service.

They don´t pay for lost parcels which is fraud when these are insured.

It also seems, their general terms and conditions are good enough to find ways not to pay in most cases.

So they take money for extra-insurance to keep it.

I now was able reading about when investigating the web for similar cases w/ DHL shipments.

I´ve found a lot of customer reports in german language and to my surprise it´s evident they lose a lot of shipments.

I never had a similar case w/ DHL before,- but now it´s evident numbers of lost shipments dramatically rised in 2019 already.

So,- avoid DHL in future and when you can.

I dunno which carrier is better though.

In future, I only sell w/ local pickup or the buyer must organize shipping himself.

That way I´m out when the toy is out of my door.

A.C.

At a past work situation, there was a DHL delivery guy who would just drop packages off anywhere in the building, mark it in his paperwork as delivered and leave. I hated DHL for that.

However, when I got my Mojo years ago, DHL was the delivery service. The guy couldn't of been nicer. The outer box had a hole in it, but did not harm anything in the inner box. Mojo was fine.

I also ordered an Kronos2 88. Came across the country via UPS and was just dropped off in the middle of my driveway after I gave instructions to notify me when delivered. Didn't happen.

Twice! As I had to return the Kronos first delivered due to damage. The second one was delivered in the same way, but fortunately no damage as it didn't travel as far with UPS.

Someone could of easily ripped off an expensive board in my driveway twice. A UPS driver I once knew told me they don't care. The insurance company they have, it's just peanut to them playing the percentages.

Bottom line is they want to deliver a package. Drugs...use your imagination.

So, personally I know it's easy to blame the company, but it's the workers good or bad.

These days we have not much of a choice. It's not an easy job though. They bake in them UPS trucks in the summer.

Where I live USPS is the best for getting things. Talked to the postman for a day or two ago and he said they are swamped right now having to go out three times a day to deliver. He said people are sending thing like exercise equipment and other big item that they never used USPS for before.

I used like UPS and especially FedEX but they have both become nightmare, especially FedEx Ground. FedEx Ground may have FedEx in the name but per my friend who's a retired FedEx driver/manager they are a separate company. Amazon just opened one of their warehouses out here and at first the delivery service was useless. I live in an apartment complex with multiple building each with its own street number. The Amazon delivery people using their own cars and in street clothes you'd see them walk a little bit looking for addresses but then they'd just leave the package at any apartment that was the same street number. Then seemed like they stopped delivering and went back to USPS, but now Amazon has their own trucks and the drivers don't seem as rushed and doing good.

My nightmare was this week. I had ordered an 88 key MIDI controller and a USB cable. Sweetwater packaged them separately and sent them FedEx Ground "signature required". After a week long travel around the midwest the packages made it to my part of California. FedEx tracking changed delivery date a few times. Then a neighbor came over to borrow some aspirin, when I answered the door he said you have package and the small box with the USB cable was sitting there. No, knock on door and they didn't ask for my signature, but no keyboard. So I get online to check FedEx tracking and the keyboard box was still listed "Out for delivery". As the day goes on no delivery. Then FedEx tracking changes from "Out for delivery" to "Pending". Then about 5pm I check the tracking and it says "Delivered", No one has knocked on the door so I go to look outside. I open my door and the keyboard comes falling in on me, the idiot driver left it leaning against my door. So he left a "signature required" package without getting a signature. I go back on the FedEx tracking site and it says "Signed for by recipient", they now put a graphic showing the signature it was just some scribble of a C and wiggly line. There's no C in my name. This isn't the first time with BS from FedEx Ground a couple times they've put on the tracking "Recipient not home" I'm retired and when I know a package is coming I don't dare leave the house. I miss the days when FedEx was just one company and they would bend over backward to get you your packages.

UPS a couple weird deliveries, but main issue now is MOST the time my apartment complex is the end of their day and that mean sometimes they don't come until 6 or 7pm. Only exception is if you think they are never at lunch time and run out to a drive thru and that will be the day they decide to come early. Grrrrrrrrr

FWIW I do have several shipping nightmares that I'm dealing with at the moment, similar to some of the ones mentioned by others above. I'm not in a rush on most of the stuff, but it's very stressful to keep checking the status and to see no progress three weeks later, or to see it in my current town for that long yet mysteriously not making its way the half mile to my house (or being available for direct pickup, as it's a warehouse vs. a USPS office).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Let's face it, they ALL suck pretty hard these days, because there are more people using package delivery services for regular household items and the folks driving trucks and cars are probably overworked and pissed off. Maybe they have quotas to meet? We're gonna have to just deal. Which is not to excuse or explain what's happened with Al â I agree with him, it sounds like outright fraud in his case. Al, I can only wish you success in getting paid or finding your shipment â and I know I won't ever use DHL after reading your post.

My UPS experience. I bought something on Ebay, seven items in the batch. It was insured. Upon arrival the box was damaged on one side and two items were broken. I called UPS and filed a claim. The lady assured me that she would process the claim and I would be paid in two weeks. She said that normally they would want to inspect the items but in my case, because I was only asking for $100 of the $350 insured amount they would not bother. Told me to discard the broken items and wait for my money. Two weeks later UPS knocks on my door. They came to pick up the damaged items. No advanced notice. I told the man that my instructions were to discard the items. He told me that a UPS rep would never say that and without the items I could not collect. "It is a good thing I kept it then, isn't it?" I said. We went to my garage and I gave him the damaged box with the two broken items. Three weeks after that I called to check on my payment. They claimed to have no record of the incident. I never was able to collect.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The southeast Pennsylvania Postal Service asked customers to stop sending Christmas packages via Post Office. Distribution centers are backed up due to manpower shortages and the Postal Service says they will not be able to make deliveries by Christmas.

Steve Coscia

Yet Amazon just delivered a HD enclosure in one day - ordered yesterday (Saturday) and came today (Sunday). A few other things I ordered from them recently came in 2 -3 days. They emailed me a confirmation of delivery with a picture of the item on my front porch! I haven't seen that on previous deliveries.

Let's face it, they ALL suck pretty hard these days, because there are more people using package delivery services for regular household items

True !

When people order 10 items online just only on sale or return,- and then return 9 items or ALL,- that makes a lot of senseless traffic.

And it´s not because of Corvid19,- they also did before.

Corona raise the behaviour,- no question.

... and the folks driving trucks and cars are probably overworked and pissed off. Maybe they have quotas to meet?

Yes.

My friend and tech,- when I told him what happened to my parcel,- he told me a story about the guy driving such DHL truck under time pressure ...

When that guy was unable to fulfill his quotes,- every day, he simply disposed the rest of the parcels on an illegal waste dump in a forest.

That worked until walkers observed and called the police.

Lots of letters and parcels lost, damaged and scruffy.

Just only the result of low-wage industry.

But,- when that is today´s normal behaviour and/or becomes "accepted",- how to deal w/ people beyond your local area and especially when it´s related to sensitive and expensive goods ?

When you look at DHL website,- it IS designed for the regular customer shall not find ways to complain and/or making a claim on insurance.

There´s the online form for enquiry incl. uploads w/ limited file types and file sizes,- but NO other online-form.

You find ONE phone number for customer service, but there exist many more,- p.ex. for national- and international shipments,- and also for these, there are sub-devisions.

You need a lot of time to find out and when you did, you recognize tthere´s always a way to say "not competent".

Their interest is to step on your nerves until you give up.

They check out if you have the muscles sueing ´em and as long as there is no lawyer in the ballpark there will be no response you can use to compensate for loss.

But that exactly means, you have to invest money on top of the loss and in the hope you win.

Not everyone cann do that and that´s what they know.

We're gonna have to just deal. Which is not to excuse or explain what's happened with Al â I agree with him, it sounds like outright fraud in his case. Al, I can only wish you success in getting paid or finding your shipment â and I know I won't ever use DHL after reading your post.

Thx a lot for the latter !

The real issue is the loss of the recipient.

I´m the sender and got the money,- and in his country,- DHL global told him "this can only be solved in te country of the sender".

I think this alone is false info by DHL already.

I know it that way:

When I evidently shipped insured something to wherever it is, the carrier is responsible.

That´s what I pay for.

It´s the carrier´s obligation to ship save and deliver to recipient´s door.

When that doesn´t happen, recipient makes a claim on insurance, gets the parcel in good condition or compensation,- and that´s it.

In the case I described,- I didn´t sell my gear.

I still own and use my XITE-1.

I just only helped finding an affordable XITE-1 for my friend in Israel,- an occasion which will never come back for that price because these are really expensive professional machines.

All I do here is trying to help my friend.

So, when someone (randomly) comes across a offer for a S|C XITE-1 DSP farm interface,- may it be ebay, reverb, craigluists,- please shoot a PM just because I still have the original keyfile and serial number of the device.

When it got stolen, it will appear somewhere in future.

Someone will try to sell it and potential buyers should know there will be no support or any chance to buy optional S|C devices, upgraded software application or 3rd party devices for this machine,- except for my friend when he gets his device and because I´ve sent him the keyfile.

I´ll stop posting in this thread now,- all said.

Let´s hope it hangs @ customs or in quarataine since about 4 month, but I doubt.

When a 6.4 kilos parcel leaves Frankfurt/germany by plane aug. 04,- it should be in Tel Aviv next day, I think,- no ?

thx for reading ...

A.C.

P.S.:

Another friend, running a online record company, publishing and being a excellent keyboardplayer,- he sold his vintage DX7 via ebay.

The unit never arrived at the buyer.

He refunded,- and the unit came back after 4 month.

It was damaged so much, his only option was selling it for parts now.

He never got a refund even it was insured.

DHL´s answer was, it wasn´t in original box,- so not able to survive a drop from about 2 1/2 meters ( ~ 8' ) ...

Who knows shipment of used gear has to be in original box ?

B.t.w.,- my shipment IS in orig. box, which is inside a 2nd neutral box,- all well padded.