Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ZStand Tier Options

I'm back!!!! :cool:

Tried searching for this topic but couldn't find the relevant details, so I've started yet another stand thread :)

I like the Z Stands for portability, but I'm having a hard time with the second keyboard tiers. What I'd really like to do is have the top keyboard rest on top of the lower keyboard (MOXF8 on the bottom with either a Hammond SK1 or a Novation Impulse 61 on top) without the usual, wonky angles or distance associated with second tiers. Think close to Hammond distance than Ultimate Support A Frame stands from 1984

Dismissed options:

• Never been a fan of Apex style stands (no where to put pedals)
  • My Inviisible stands did this very well, they're 35 years old and really can't take the road anymore.
  • Stamdtastic stands cover the weight angles well, but I still have a bit too much distance between keyboards

Matt Johnson (Jamiriquoi) has an interesting setup with the Montage and P6.

a few shots of the setup starting with the side view here: [video:youtube]

I'm thinking about fabricating something like this to put on top of the ZStand, but before I do does anyone else have good ideas on this problem/solution that they'd like to share?

Pat

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Ironically, my beef with my 2-tier Z stand was not angles, but portability. It doesn't fold up near as well if I leave the second tier on, and it's a bit of a hassle to put it on every time if I don't. That thing was tough on my car and not easy to carry in and out of a gig with other gear as it was large, heavy and awkwardly-shaped.

I have the Onstage Z, the top tier has one of those round toothed adjustments for angle so you had a lot of control. You also get a lot of control over height. I can't recall if you have different connection points for the screws on the arms if you wanted to have the top tier further back or forward, but since the bottom "tier" is basically just two beams you could move your bottom keyboard along it to do this.

I moved to the Spider Pro, which overall I like better. I think the Z had more flexibility on where the keyboards go and the angles. Unlike the apex, there is space underneath for pedals since the whole stand is off the ground on four (spidery) legs.

I had my eye on Stay stands before covid hit though. Similar design to the Spider, but MUCH lighter and after trying out a buddy's, just about as easy to set up despite having arms and legs not being attached. The Stay allows you to choose angled or straight arms on all tiers, and you can easily add a 3rd tier (or go down to one) without having to do much, unlike the Spider.

This sounds like what the OP is asking for:

I have an OnStage Z stand and modified the tier attachment brackets to be used as rests for the rear of the top keyboard while it cantilevers from the top of my bottom board. All I did was remove the metal posts from the tier brackets and make a couple or shorter adjustable posts out of 1X2's so they'd be exactly the same height as the top of the bottom board.

It's stable, lightweight, portable and takes seconds to set up. You don't need the arms, stabilizer, or metal posts.

EDIT - found my post with pics in this thread.

Here for the gear.

The On-Stage Z-stand with a second tier can get fairly close. Likewise I think you could have good luck with the K&M 18950 with the second tier, which is a table stand, but it is even more portable than my Z-stand was.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

+1000000 This is hands down the best Z-stand for placing the upper keyboard wherever you want it. However, it's a major PITA to set up and tear down.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I have the Baby Spider Pro (I'm 5-8 and stand while playing). I bought the second tier arms for it. The keyboards can be as close together as you want, there is plenty of space for pedals, and setup and teardown is a snap. Weight is only 18 pounds as well-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

• 1 month later...

I currently use a Standtastic Short two tier. It's really stable and I like it, but what I really thought would be the perfect solution is not available in the US. I have a couple Quiklok Z71 stands that work great for a single keyboard rig. They did offer a Z2 2nd tier kit(or you could buy the Z72 two tier stand). I wanted to get the Z2, but they are no longer available in the US.

Larry Novak

www.noshoesnationband.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Kurzweil PC4

Korg Kronos 2

Hammond A122

Very solid and good setup and teardown- but that stand is still very bulky when broken down, and is 27 pounds.

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

I have the two of the Z726 - available in the US here it seems............

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/163752-REG/QuikLok_Z_726_Z_726_Double_Tier_Height.html

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

What I'd really like to do is have the top keyboard rest on top of the lower keyboard

Dismissed options:

• Never been a fan of Apex style stands (no where to put pedals)
  • My Inviisible stands did this very well, they're 35 years old and really can't take the road anymore.
  • Stamdtastic stands cover the weight angles well, but I still have a bit too much distance between keyboards

The K&M 18880 stand with the 18881 second tier bits flipped backwards gives you the same kind of setup as the Invisibles. Weighs almost nothing, too.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'd like to go Z but the tier options are crap so I'll roll my own.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Not sure why you say tier options are crap?

Quiklok is almost infinitely variable

46451744435_c2d5042284_k.jpg© GDCorporate.Photography -19 by Alan Pearson, on Flickr

I run my Triton Extreme 76 at zero clearance over my Kawai ES3, you can

only get to the keys. Available tier options are crap so I'll roll my own.

ryZvrCo.jpg

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net