Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One-on-one tuition

Hi all,

I was considering taking a Berklee online course to improve my mixing and mastering skills, but they"re expensive even before I factor in the exchange rate between the US and Australian dollar. So, I"m looking for individual tuition from someone reputable that teaches online. Any suggestions please?

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any suggestions but I will mention that I was able to improve my mixing skills for free by logging onto www.metapop.com and competing in remix competitions.

I did 18 remixes going back 25 months, more and recently I did another one to see if I'd absorbed anything.

Most of the remixes gave me an excuse to try a new technique. I taught myself some fun tricks trying clip-stretching, pitch shifting, extreme EQ (turned a kick drum into a shaker for one), parallel processing, reverse clips and other things including various combinations of all of the above. I also worked on adding/changing beats.

The recent remix I went in with no set learning path. I listened to the song, stripped it down to the vocals and listened to get an idea of how an arrangement would serve the song and then I went back to a playback of all the provided tracks and started deleting tracks that I felt were just there because somebody wanted to play them. I suppose that could be more of a "producer" than a mixer but those lines have become blurred.

After I tossed out enough tracks to get some space (including a horrible sounding "snare" abomination, I added a drum track and then used automation to keep the percussion under control a bit.

I only spent about 3 hours but my take away was "listen to the arrangement." That was a lesson I hadn't really learned on any of the other remixes.

I've never won, by the way. I doubt I'll win this one but that's fine. The lessons are valuable and might save tuition if one already has a handle on them.

Here is a link to my page, I recommend you surf around a bit and listen to what others are doing as well. The second (There Go Elephants) and third (That Itch) posting are bits I tossed up from other times and not really examples of mixing at all.

The first one is a recent remix and then Running Back is the last remix I did before that.

It may not be a good path for you and I certainly don't expect you to listen to any of my efforts, just sharing something that turned out well for me. I've got a better handle on mixing than I did previously.

I won't claim to know much about mastering, I do understand there that a consistent sound that works well on all platforms is the essence. I don't think my ears are that good yet, and I KNOW my room and speakers are not.

Good luck!!! I'll check back in to see what this thread stirs up, great topic! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices, Tools by Roey Izhaki is outstanding. It is used as a textbook at several internationally known programs. The book is very up to date and includes links to a website with 2000 audio examples and sample files. It is well organized, comprehensive and better than anything I've seen online. This isn't a collection of random (and useless) "tips", but a complete guide on how to approach a mix, learn the processors, develop a workflow and so much more. Highly recommended. It is not a person. But it is also complete in the way that 1:1 would not be.

Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices, Tools

The suggestion to play with multi-track that is publicly available is an excellent one. A lot can be learned this way. I do get the desire for tuition.

You might try over at Gearslutz - more audio engineers hang out there. I doubt you'll have trouble finding someone who will sell you time. It will be a question of thoroughness, hence my recommendation for the Izhaki book.