Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mono Piano VST

Any ones that work in mono without thinning out?

True Keys American has a side mic which is mono but sounds thin, the only other libraries I have are The Gentleman and Addictive Keys Upright, but I need a richer polished sound

I only have 1 audio out left in my audio card. 1/2 are in use and 3 is for click to headphone.

The only other solution I can think of is to send a midi signal to external device that creates an audio click, which would free up 3/4 outputs. But of course it"s another item in the chain and this setup is for live use. Unless I can get something really compact that just produces an audio click from a midi signal

Any suggestions??

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to suggest the same.

Also if you use a DAW or VST host. You can sum to mono with most any software piano there as well and see if you like what you"re hearing.

Here is a tutorial on using a mono output in MainStage

https://brianli.com/how-to-use-a-mono-output-in-mainstage/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thanks guys, I"m using Ableton, and have tried the mono utility that comes with it, but it sounds quite anaemic.

However I"ve realised I can use the spdif coax out of my Scarlett interface, through a converter into the tape input of my Mackie and route the click to headphones only.

Stereo sounds that are anemic in mono usually have phase problems that cancel low frequencies.

OT but relevant - this is why it is important to listen to a mix on a single speaker when one is recording/mixing/producing. It will provide awareness of the problem.

Do any of your pianos sound good with just the left OR right side run in the center?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

There are certainly free piano softwares around, maybe one of them goes from stereo to mono better

Off the top of my head, IK SampleTank 4 custom shop is free and has some pianos.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st4cs/?pkey=sampletank-4-cs

Stereo sounds that are anemic in mono usually have phase problems that cancel low frequencies.

OT but relevant - this is why it is important to listen to a mix on a single speaker when one is recording/mixing/producing. It will provide awareness of the problem.

Do any of your pianos sound good with just the left OR right side run in the center?

That"s a great idea, mixing with one speaker, especially as venues are mainly going to be running mono systems.

Yes I"ve tried panning L+R but I"m not keen. I"ll go back and try phase inverting with the mono utility in Ableton.

That"s a great idea, mixing with one speaker, especially as phase venues are mainly going to be running mono systems.

Yes I"ve tried panning L+R but I"m not keen. I"ll go back and try phase inverting with the mono utility in Ableton.

Yes, it's sort of "Recording Studio Engineer 101" and for good reason. One "correct" way to create plugins would be with a center channel that is full frequency and then the L/R channels have high pass filters to eliminate all the lower frequencies. That provides a stereo sound without losing the bottom. PITA if they don't do it. Standard operating procedure for recording drums, leave the kick full range and roll off the bass on any mic that has kick bleeding into it.

Samples recorded using the x/y or mid-side techniques will collapse to mono better than other stereo recording techniques. I've never seen that info mentioned on a web page or ad for a piano plugin.

In the few times I've needed to be mono, I found using either the right or left side only slightly better than the phase-cancelled mess of L+R. That's just me though; my piano (NI New York) doesn't do well in mono at all, imo.

I always play live in mono. And use the R feed. It gives full volume and fidelity for the RH and attenuates the LH slightly which is just what I want when playing with a bassist. Alicia"s Keys was the only VST I"ve had that could fold nicely into mono, and that"s because it had very little stereo content, perhaps because it was designed for live stage performance. Even prepackaged mono patches in my CP-4 sound worse than just using R.

There"s one from Sampletekk ( Singularis https://www.sampletekk.com/grand-pianos&product_id=294) and they"re doing an 80% off sale soon, so it should cost you around $16.

What are you using for an Sfz player, Fleer?

Loading into EXS24? Or Mach5 or something?

If it doesn"t do Kontakt, I use Logic Pro (EXS24 or Sampler), EJF.

But if need be, there"s Garritan"s Aria.