Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2021 Thread

Sorry to jump your gun here Geoff ;)

Big news today out of the MLB however, I'd say big enough to start the thread for the upcoming season.

Miami Marlins hire Kim Ng as General Manager

First Asian-American GM in baseball history and first female GM in all four North American major sports. By all accounts, she has been qualified for well over a decade. Congrats to Kim Ng on this historic day.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dodgers tweet:

Los Angeles Dodgers Hall of Fame great Tommy Lasorda has been hospitalized in Orange County. Lasorda, 93, was admitted and he is in intensive care, resting comfortably. The family appreciates everyone"s thoughts and prayers; however, they request their privacy at this time.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hooray! MLBPA Rejects Deal

At least that's my opinion. I'm traditional when it comes to the game so I'm happy to not see the universal DH, pitch clock, automated strike zone. I kinda liked the expanded playoffs, though. Wish they'd roll back the rules on blocking the plate and 2nd base.

Here for the gear.

• 4 months later...

The Padres are resurgent this week!

Last night's finish was another crazy one. Infield utility Ha-Seong Kim came into the game after all-around rockstar Short Stop Fernando Tatis Jr. had to leave due to injury. Kim's been a beast on defense playing 2B, SS, and 3B but he's struggled at the plate. He was a reliable ~0.300 hitter in the KBO with a ~ 0.400 OBP but hasn't acclimated yet to MLB pitching, or the weird new ball, and maybe just general culture shock. Game is tied up, bottom of the 8th, comes to the plate, and crushes a two-run go-ahead home run into the upper deck of the Western Metals building. The roar from the stadium was audible miles away across the bay in Coronado.

A few minutes later, top of the 9th, 1 out and 1 on, a shot gets drilled right to short stop. Kim makes the double-play that ended the game.

Somebody somewhere trying to describe the marvellous multi-talented player Vladdy has become this year: 'He"s Mike Trout, only interesting.'

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

• 1 month later...

Wow: Max Scherzer and Trea Turner to the Dodgers!

Los Angeles Dodgers finalizing deal to acquire stars Max Scherzer and Trea Turner from Washington Nationals, sources say

The Dodgers were facing tough competition within their division, from both San Francisco and San Diegoâespecially when it looked like the Padres set to make a deal for Scherzerâbut now, we LA fans can rest a little easier. Today, the Dodgers just one-upped the Mookie Betts trade!

My condolences, Bobby and Dave, to lose that trade to a division rival must be tough.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The accelerating practice of trading for pending free agents at the trade deadline, for me, takes another bite out of my enthusiasm for the game. It's completely within the rules of course, and therefore not in any sense "cheating." But it also makes baseball feel a little more like a business than a team sport. If your team gets 2 or 3 superstars at the deadline, is it really the same team you were cheering for a couple weeks ago? Is the competition becoming more about which franchise can stock its farm system enough to trade prospects at the deadline? Should we start wearing the numbers of our favorite baseball front office executives? My questions are meant to be farcical, but not completely.

There's always been a part of me that wants to root for the underdog. The Dodgers are, more and more, the alpha dog that simply overpowers the competition with resources.

The Giants, by contrast, are my favorite baseball story of the year: a team that was supposed to suck but has upended expectations with baseball smarts and a huge dollop of luck. Not to mention a guy named Yastremski!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Dodgers outbid the Padres, want to win this year. Gave up 4 prospects the Nationals desperately need for the future. Nationals were never going to re sign Turner after 2022, he will sign in the 360 range, Nats ownership won't pay that (see Anthony Rendon).

Nats will make Max an offer when the season is over, we'll see where he ends his career. Dodgers aquired Manny Machado a few years ago at the trade deadline and didn't re sign him.

Time will tell.

:nopity:

Somebody somewhere trying to describe the marvellous multi-talented player Vladdy has become this year: 'He"s Mike Trout, only interesting.'

This... and yes, though my money's still on Bichette for the long haul once his defence matures. I hope I'm wrong, but in a couple of years Vladdy's body is going to return to what it really is, making for a preempted career a la Prince Fielder.

This year? I've usually been a Giants fan in the NL but right now I still like the Padres!

Here for the gear.

This... and yes, though my money's still on Bichette for the long haul once his defence matures. I hope I'm wrong, but in a couple of years Vladdy's body is going to return to what it really is, making for a preempted career a la Prince Fielder.

If gravity, calories and genetics do exert their inexorable inflationary pull on him, my hope is that he morphs into a more goofy David Ortiz. He's got budding leadership chops. The quote was from gifted Globe sports columnist Cathal Kelly, who probably had to Google "Best hitter in baseball" to find Mike Trout's name. My biggest long-term fear for the Jays is ownership not being willing or able to pay the big money needed to keep Vladdy, Bo and company happy long-term. Rogers is losing huge bucks on their NHL TV contract, their cable business is contracting as more of us cut the cord and go to streaming, and sooner or later they'll want to build a new retro-style boutique ballpark and tap the increased revenue stream that will bring. Gouging Canada for hugely overpriced wireless phone service only goes so far.

If gravity, calories and genetics do exert their inexorable inflationary pull on him, my hope is that he morphs into a more goofy David Ortiz. He's got budding leadership chops. The quote was from gifted Globe sports columnist Cathal Kelly, who probably had to Google "Best hitter in baseball" to find Mike Trout's name. My biggest long-term fear for the Jays is ownership not being willing or able to pay the big money needed to keep Vladdy, Bo and company happy long-term. Rogers is losing huge bucks on their NHL TV contract, their cable business is contracting as more of us cut the cord and go to streaming, and sooner or later they'll want to build a new retro-style boutique ballpark and tap the increased revenue stream that will bring. Gouging Canada for hugely overpriced wireless phone service only goes so far.

Damn, all sorts of right in this post. Especially the bit about Cathal Kelly :roll:

Jays just acquired Berríos, albeit at a pretty steep price (Austin Martin was considered untouchable by some, clearly not by all).

Berrios is a great add, and he"s under control for another year. Opening day tonightâfirst true home game since COVID began. Look for Geddy keeping score in his usual seat behind home plate.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow: Arizona Diamondbacks rookie Tyler Gilbert became the first pitcher in 68 years to throw a no-hitter in his first big league start!

Arizona Diamondbacks' Tyler Gilbert tosses MLB's eighth no-hitter of the season in first start

Bobo Holloman was the last to do it in 1953, and the only other two were Ted Breitenstein in 1891 and Bumpus Jones in 1892.

Best,

Geoff

Pretty incredible story! And yeah, sorry Bobby, haven't seen many Padre games recently but have definitely been surprised by some of the teams they're losing to.

As for the Jays, a couple frustrating games recently. Gonna need to start stringing together some wins soon if we want to stay in the race.

• 3 weeks later...

As the two teams with the best record in baseball face off, this has got to be one of the most anticipated series of the regular season:

Dodgers vs. Giants: Six things to know as NL West rivals meet for final series of 2021 MLB season

http://www.geoffgrace.com/Pictures/Dodgers.jpg

GO DODGER BLUE!!! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Ohtani has a real chance to duplicate Babe Ruth's incredible feat from 1918, when Ruth finished in league top 10 "triple crown" statistical categories for both hitting and pitching in the same season.

In 1918, Ruth led the AL in home runs as a hitter. He also led the AL in slugging, and while slugging is not a "triple crown" statistical category, it is a better measure of a batter's value than batting average. In 1918 Ruth finished 9th in ERA in the American League. He just missed the top 10 in wins, partly because he only started 19 games as a pitcher - 1918 was the first year he played a lot of games as an outfielder. For those who may not know, Ruth was one of the best pitchers in baseball before he became known for his hitting: in 1916 Ruth led the AL in ERA, was 3rd in pitching wins in 1916, and was 2nd in pitching wins in 1917.

Ohtani is leading the AL in home runs as a hitter, and will finish in the top 10 in the AL even if does not hit any more home runs for the rest of the season. Ohtani is also leading the AL in slugging (not a "triple crown" stat, but see comment above). As a pitcher he will will not get enough innings pitched to qualify for the ERA leadership. As of today, Ohtani is 20th in the AL in strikeouts as a pitcher. He will probably improve that ranking by the end of the season, but probably not enough to reach the top 10 in strikeouts as a pitcher. But he has 9 wins, and if he had just one more, he would be tied for 10th place in wins. So he has a real shot at reaching the top 10 in the AL for pitching wins. I will be rooting for him, even though I am not an Angels fan. Ohtani is an amazing baseball player.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my Braves are doing well. Losing Acuña was a huge blow but our GM made fantastic moves without spending any real money or losing prized prospects.

1) We got Adam Duvall back from Miami. My hair was on fire about letting him get away in the off-season, and here he is leading the NL in RBI and 2nd in homers behind Tatis. We gave up Alex Jackson, who should turn into a really good MLB catcher, but we still have William Contreras (Willson"s younger brother) who has a strong bat, and Shea Langeliers, supposedly the complete package, in the minors.

2) We got Joc Peterson from the Cubs" fire sale. Big moment guy who has already come through a bunch.

3)We got Jorge Soler from Kansas City. I think I might love this one the most. Crushing power, incredible plate discipline, and has already shown himself to be a team player by shortening his swing and dropping singles when needed. Rare in today"s power hitters.

4) We got Eddie Rosario from Cleveland. Could be huge. He hit 41 homers in 2019. The few he"s hit since joining Atlanta have been no-doubters. Hopefully he can return to form.

But the big question: what happens when Acuña returns? He"s obviously back in RF. Soler in LF. Duvall in Center. That leaves out Pederson and Rosario, both everyday players. I"m not as concerned about Marcel Ozuna returning, but that"s also a possibility.

Edit to add: Adam Duvall now has 35 homers, 101 RBI. :)

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin