Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Hammond player who can really wail

Stumbled across this video. I like the way he integrates the signature Gregg Allman solo licks with his own. I hear changes in percussion type (2nd vs. 3rd and soft vs. normal) and C/V changes in the song, much akin to Gregg. I also noticed very little movement with the expression pedal. Solo is about 2 1/2 minutes. Even the rest of the band is digging the groove that he is creating. I also liked how the light man shined the light on him during the lead, so that he is the focus. Reconfirms that clones and leslie sims, although good, are left in the dust with the old beasts. I cue'd the video to when the solo starts.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell Yeah! That"s John Ginty. He plays in Robert Randolph"s band. Also has sat in with Govt Mule and the Allman Bros. Killer organist.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Interestingly enough, I watched this entire concert last night. I was fiortunate enough to see Jon play with Allman Betts Band last December, just a few months before everything shut down. He is a full fledged member of the band, not just a touring keyboardist. Although he has his custom B3 with him, his piano was backlined. Typically he uses a VV EP. He has also written a few articles for keyboard magazine over the years.

[video:youtube]

:nopity:

Interestingly enough, I watched this entire concert last night. I was fiortunate enough to see Jon play with Allman Betts Band last December, just a few months before everything shut down. He is a full fledged member of the band, not just a touring keyboardist. Although he has his custom B3 with him, his piano was backlined. Typically he uses a VV EP. He has also written a few articles for keyboard magazine over the years.

[video:youtube]

I watched the same video last night in its entirety. :crazy:

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

You can tell he is thinking about every piece of that solo because it's so exacting. It's a really nice job and clean. I think as time goes by there are going to be less and less players that can do this stuff.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The most impressive thing is to stand out with 3 guitars in the band. Top notch interplay and understanding that if everyone gets his share of spotlight, the music is the real winner (IMHO they are better on this than the original ABB). I love this group, both for the tribute and for the new songs.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

I bet if you contacted him he would do a quick Skype lesson for $100.00. ;)

Maybe not right away, though. They are out on tour, playing near me this coming Monday. Want to go. Don't think I am going to, however.

Actually, after thinking about Jimmy Weaver (RIP), I am not going.

:nopity:

I saw him play at Carrollton Georgia a couple of years ago in an open restaurant patio setting. It was indeed killer. I FB broadcast about the first 30 minutes till the phone died. It was a great high energy set of his music. Afterward, I chatted with him and I got to play his Hammond. He loaded me up with merch, including 2 CDs, and and I became his fan for life. He talked about a Dixie Chicks concert movie that was pending, but I haven't seen that yet. A memorable evening.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.