Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We've lost another brother...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reasons I joined this forum was in hopes that I would be able to meet a like-minded keyboard player and turn over my keys parts to them. Alas, the idea was a non-starter. However, I have a list of people that I've been able to identify as living here in the Southeast. When someone mentioned the name BluesKeys, I frowned, thinking, "That name sounds familiar." Unfortunately, I was right. There aren't many players in this corner of the country and now there's one fewer.

Music isn't--or shouldn't be--a high-risk occupation. Only...now, with the virus, it is.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

After looking more at his long musical history, I was surprised to take note of his presence for so long on the Durham scene. He passed the day after I arrived here for my new job. I would have liked to have met him in person finally, after following his posts and his musical contributions for so long.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

After looking more at his long musical history, I was surprised to take not of his presence for so long on the Durham scene. He passed the day after I arrived here for my new job. I would have liked to have met him in person finally, after following his posts and his musical contributions for so long.

You live in Durham now? We need to connect! I live downtown Durham.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I tried to look him up and watch more performances other than the ones uploaded on his own channel. Apparently there are many more James Weaver musicians who just passed away due to Covid complications. Sorry to hear about this terrible news.
www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

We all walk an invisible tightrope through life and never know when someone or something is going to jerk the wire. This is a cruel and untimely loss. Sympathy to his friends and family.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

After looking more at his long musical history, I was surprised to take not of his presence for so long on the Durham scene. He passed the day after I arrived here for my new job. I would have liked to have met him in person finally, after following his posts and his musical contributions for so long.

You live in Durham now? We need to connect! I live downtown Durham.

Count me in! I live in Hillsborough, just west of Durham.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

https://www.facebook.com/blueskeys

I posted a couple of photos and a music video from 2007 on Jimmy's Facebook page. I believe it's open for everyone to view. Click the link above.

Jimmy was one of those guys I liked the first time I met him... And I met him on this forum.

We were friends... good friends. And that's rare.

For all of you - do me a big favor. Wearing masks has become politicized. Once we are out of the woods and all this is behind us, we'll still need our friends. Try very hard not to let politics come between you and your brothers and sisters. It's just not worth it. Look beyond politics to remember what brought you together and do everything you can to hang on to that.

Jimmy and I were friends... really good friends. And good friends are hard to come by.

Rest in peace, my friend BluesKeys. I love ya man! :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

For all of you - do me a big favor. Wearing masks has become politicized. Once we are out of the woods and all this is behind us, we'll still need our friends. Try very hard not to let politics come between you and your brothers and sisters. It's just not worth it. Look beyond politics to remember what brought you together and do everything you can to hang on to that.
:idea::yeahthat:

Thank you, brother Tommy. :cheers:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Oh no...may he rest in peace. I only knew him from this forum as BluesKeys, but he seemed like a likable guy and very talented.

BluesKeys' second to last post, on 9/30, mentioned he had played a show the previous weekend which was supposed to be outside but got moved inside due to rain.

I don't know if the indoor gig impacted him, but whether it did or not, this is a scenario that could happen to any of us, and something for each of us to be on the watch for.

RIP BluesKeys.

I remember reading that and hoping it wouldn't cause an issue. I really hope it wasn't from that...as someone who gigged regularly myself prior to this mess, I've dabbled with the idea of going back out for a few, but I haven't been convinced it's worth it yet. That's really sad. :(

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

There was a Myrtle Beach shag dance event from 9/18-9/27. The shag community has posted that 100+ attendees have Covid and 10 have died (including 2 musicians). Very sad.

this thread is about 1 of those 2 musicians. RIP Jimmy

:nopity:

RIP Jimmy ~ My Heartfelt Sympathy to his family, friends and brothers on the forum. This is very sad news.

In today's health climate you can't take anything for granted, whether it's a small get together, a larger gathering or even a couple of people you come into contact with in passing. There is nothing that we can do except to try to remain vigilant protecting ourselves and our families. Pending effective treatment to minimize the effects of the virus or a vaccine to ward against it, this is the only option we have.

Unfortunately this is of no comfort for those who may need to expose themselves to the possibility of infection in order to work as full time musicians or in other fields. Although some people need to do this in order to feed their families and take care of themselves financially, it shouldn't be a decision anyone needs to make.

Let's hope that a viable cure is developed and implemented soon.

Again, my deepest sympathy to everyone on this tragic loss.

~ Anthony