Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fusion on the ol' Kurzweil

Hi all

No soundtrack for the zoom event this time, but a fun share of

my progress taming the PC3's ability to create quality audio.

Now I know it's now always trivial to reveal what I mean, especially

in the face of so many instruments that re being sold in a case or

as a software product, so why not a little demo of what I'm talking

about:

tossng1752.mp3

This is a recording from the digital output of the (original, 76 keys) PC3

playing sounds from the built in sequence I played in "live" one

"dub" per track. Nothing at all has been done except a volume change,

and of course ffmpeg's mp3 encoding.

Listening to a remastering by my huge software setup of Senor Funk (Ray

Barretto) with some relative timing errors corrected a bit by a (analog)

mixer signal path, I thought after a lot of Kurzweil editing: why not jam

3 tracks to try how they combine with the studio logic built in.

Clearly, normally I don't feel motivated to make some fun jamming on

the PC3, to weak, to weird, to many sound elements speaking unpleasantly,

but I got to say this was fun.

Want to try for yourself, load this song in your PC? compatible , and play

back on your own machine:

S1752.PC3

I've even checked to studio bands I have huge metering setups for in my

linux software, and by now they are ok, though certainly not how I would

think the mid low and mid averaging would be ideally set up. So now it's

some more accuracy here and there, some sound changes, testing some

effects and layers, but the main Kurz machinery (also for acoustic piano,

synths, etc) appears to finally work as expected.

Long story short: try the download and enjoy three sounds with a strange

sound quality yourself, preferably on neutral monitoring. Or simply play

the sound download and be at least surprised.

Theo V.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will do, Al, but with more fusion and less shredding!

For the down loading people: your PC? should load in the song, which should automatically contain 4 sounds and the song-based master eq&multi-compressor, where the sounds (programs) bring in their own effect chains, of which the sound in slot #1, Midi Ch 1 brings in the essential correction effect chain (4 effect units, 3 blocks) and a also deliberate reverb effect block. These effects are driven with an exact amount set at the Aux1&Aux2 for all used sounds (3: epiano 'duke' 5: slap bass 10: drums of which the insert effects could notbe loaded on the standard Pc3), this works together with everything else like volume and master effect settings, of which nothing should be changed, because changing anything even by a few parameter points will destroy the sound coming together, so unfortunately this song and it's sound components must be used exactly as is to work.

T

Did any of the downloaders verify correct sound on their PC??? clone ?

T

Just downloaded and tested it on my PC3. I'm not entirely sure what we're supposed to be verifying? It sounds identical to your recording. The EP does sound good in the Song mode, though sadly it does not in Program mode. Probably because of the insert arrangement in Song mode. Anyways, something occurred to me. Is there a particular reason why you don't have the PC3 drumkits remapped to the GM layout? I find it much, much easier to make drum tracks with that layout than with the Kurzweil default.

The bass patch is not bad either. I personally think Kurzweil's weakest point is electric basses and this is definitely better than the stock programs.

Now, if only you had the bass and EP patches usable with the same tone in Program mode.

I've thrown together a quick clip of your Rhodes sound played alone. I quite like it. Signal chain is just the PC3 into a Yamaha MG10XU mixer, no effects etc.

[video:youtube]

I also made one using your Song setup but with new tracks in a slightly different style. I left all the sounds at their original levels. I suck at fusion, but here's a try anyways:

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Great when people actually get to use the results of programming sounds, nice examples. Clearly the 88 keyboard works as well, good to see (myself I used a Usb Midi-d CP4 for piano) maybe some has tried a newer PC series ? Would be cool to know this unchanged effort works on the latest as well.

I think I used the Gm setting from the global settings for drums.

It should be possible to make a performance or program mode version, I didn't try.

T