Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

This one with my iPhone: 'Summertime' - 2 2 take versions - with a Ambersold play along.. Kurzweil SP6 Edited 'Intimate' piano patch (edited) and Nord Electro 5D 61

[video:youtube]

With Zoom Qn2 4K (my new toy) as of this video: 'WineLight' (Grover Washington Jr.) 1966 Hammond B3/122 RV Leslie w/ Trek II reverb, Alesis Mincron synth, Electro 5D 61 w/Italian Grand patch and a WineLight-You Tube playalong backing track..These are basically my QN2 4K test performances. I could do the tighten up a bit more and fix my problems in the bridge and 1 of the piano sections is kind of sucky on one of the takes but I was eager to record Tuesday afternoon with the Zoom. Line in from my old Mackie 12 channel mixer feed with a submix from a KeyLargo mixer and a DBX GoRack into minijack in the Q2n 4k recorded at 96. Each of the WineLight takes have their strengths and weaknesses, making some things and not making others... (Inspired by watching Tony Monaco's daily Web broadcast when he played the tune, I love watching that show BTW, he's a good guy!)

I have to figure out what's going on with that hot signal that comes down after I start my Tascam 24 Trk where I had recorded the Winelight Backing track to... I did pump it up with the Zoom Editor I downloaded with a Maxamim editing setting but it was there regardless.... still getting my arms around the Zoom stuff!

Take 2: 'WineLight': [video:youtube]

Take 1: 'WineLight': [video:youtube]

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

• 3 weeks later...

Here"s a run through the Grant Green classic 'Jean De Fleur' with Dan Wilson on guitar and Marty Morrison on drums.

For the gear curious, A100/22H with a direct out to the bass amp for more click and bass punch.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

A few bars on my new Yamaha YC61 - through a Neo Vent. So much 'smoother' than the current rotary sim (maybe going be improved in the next software update?)

Backing made on my MOX6 - and inspired by an old Vent 2 demo from Katsunori Ujiie in 2014. (Lots of over the top bass synth and compressed drum kit -- Love it :) )

Only a couple of minutes long and - as you can tell from the lack of technique - I just play for my own amusement !

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

That recent thread on music of our youth I remembered Arthur Brown the song Fire was getting a lot of airplay on radio. Author Brown was playing The Kaleidoscope a big club kind of like the Fillmore for L.A. the whole back of the club was giant dance floor. I'm back on the dance floor area and meet up with these three girls I know from the Hollywood scene who love to dance and like many wanted to become part of the G.T.O.'s. They are all blazing on acid and having a great time.

They introduce "The Crazy World of Author Brown" and the band comes out and does a really cool instrumental and everyone is diggin' it. Then the band starts play the intro to Fire and Arthur Brown runs out on stage with his head on fire. The three girls totally flip out see this guy running around the stage with flames trailing from his head. Two of them went running they couldn't deal with it, but the third stayed with me because I was was just digging the music. Fun times being into music in the 60's.

A few bars on my new Yamaha YC61 - through a Neo Vent. So much 'smoother' than the current rotary sim (maybe going be improved in the next software update?)

Backing made on my MOX6 - and inspired by an old Vent 2 demo from Katsunori Ujiie in 2014. (Lots of over the top bass synth and compressed drum kit -- Love it :) )

Only a couple of minutes long and - as you can tell from the lack of technique - I just play for my own amusement !

I enjoyed this a lot - and don't talk to me about lack of technique - I can beat you in that stakes any day ;)

Some of the old heads might remember Mú Carvalho on these forums. He was particularly generous to me around the time I was getting into Brazilian music â I had no idea of his credentials or his artistry while I was picking his brain. :facepalm:

Over the past few years, I've been lucky enough to hang with Mú in person in Brazil. He graciously invited me to sit in with his band last December at a sold-out Blue Note São Paulo. He has been curating a series of solo piano interpretations of his music by some of the greatest pianists in the world â André Mehmari and Bianca Gismonti, among others. He also asked me. Here's my contribution.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Here"s a run through the Grant Green classic 'Jean De Fleur' with Dan Wilson on guitar and Marty Morrison on drums.

really enjoyed that, Mitch. Cool that you are working with Dan. I met him a few years ago at Blues Alley in DC, great player and genuinely nice cat.

:nopity:

For the gear curious, A100/22H with a direct out to the bass amp for more click and bass punch.

Phenomenal playing, Mitch. A couple of lines I will borrow from you for sure!

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for listening. Nice one as well! What"s the gear used on your recordings?I can"t tell the difference anymore between live and sequenced as samples are so good these days. Mine is a yamaha A1 with two Oktava condenser mic"s.

Sounds really good, and an interesting variety of moods. Could be a movie soundtrack.

• 2 weeks later...

My band Noon Fifteen is putting out three new songs as part of our "Finish What You Started" series of thematically-related releases about confronting fear. They'll be coming out between now and Thanksgiving, and the first (video below) is my own composition, "Dinosaurs." This is my first time releasing a track I've fully mixed myself without anyone checking my work and fixing it afterward (other than EQ adjustments to the stereo mix by the mastering engineer), so it's an exciting milestone for me.

Disclaimer: this song is political in nature, as I was going for a CSNY "Ohio" sort of anthemic current events song. Hopefully it transcends this specific moment, but if you're not into that sort of thing, I won't be offended if you don't engage. That's how we keep this forum civil.

All three of the songs will also be explored in our behind-the-scenes podcast, in a sort of "aural liner notes" diving into their composition, arranging, and recording. Plus we joke around a lot.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Well, i decided that music sitting in a drawer is useless; so, bad or good, i decided to publish everything reasonable i wrote in the last 30 years (not much :).

I started with a couple of "Albums" on soundcloud, a couple more will follows in the next months.

Well rooted on my repetitive/electronics influences, you can name the after listening.

You'll find everything on my my sound cloud page.

Do not be too severe :)

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

HI Sam, I think it's a nice song idea, bit static in the mix sense, not to say "add some tapped delay effects and a vocoder" but the sound remains the same during the song, maybe some eq or pad tricks ? Sound balance is ok on my monitoring.

I listened to Jason Fry's Halloween playing, sounds good.

mauriziodececco I dug your first "The Two Towers" track. Not as peppy as it could be from expensive mix sources (though that often sounds bad) but the kind of relaxed electronics track is cool.

T

HI Sam, I think it's a nice song idea, bit static in the mix sense, not to say "add some tapped delay effects and a vocoder" but the sound remains the same during the song, maybe some eq or pad tricks ? Sound balance is ok on my monitoring.
An interesting idea. I feel like the gradual layering of the synths, and the intermittent distortion effects and reverb swells on the vocals already push it as far away from the more organic Zeppelin/Faces vibe I was after; I don't think I'd want any more sweeping arrangement changes from a mix standpoint or it would start to lose that "band grooving in a room together" feel.

If I were to change anything at this point, I'd emphasize the dynamics between the sections a little more aggressively so that the quieter chorale section felt softer, and then the thrashy tag would feel a little more explosive when it lands. It still works for me, but the master did bring the volume levels closer together (as compressing a mix will do, I suppose). But it's done when it's done, or we go insane and never finish anything. That's why I shared the finished track instead of an in-progress mix. :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Latest video by the big band. This one is cool because the guitarist wrote the arrangement.

I'm sad to say that Cliff Hoff, the featured tenor player from my last video and band leader's father, passed away a few days ago. He was a wonderful guy and a great influence on us. He lived a life better than many, and was able to make a living out of his first love of playing the saxophone. This video is dedicated to his memory.

Oh, and the piano patch is Native Instruments Grandeur with a few tweaks.

America Won

Democracy is Alive and Well !

People have exercised the power of the Vote

Hope you like my driving rock/funk instrumental inspired by the important

changes in our country.

America Won is Song#1 in my SoundCloud profile

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Eddie Van Halen Keyboard Tribute - 1984 & Jump

Does the world really need another 1984/Jump - Eddie Van Halen Keyboard Tribute? Clearly not. And yet, since 1984, I have been haunted by the quest to perfect these sounds. I have repeatedly tweaked these patches over the years, and only recently feel like I have something worthy of the original. All these years later, it"s remarkable how much fun it still is to play. The passing of Eddie prompted me revisit this, and I think the Prophet Rev2 is the perfect instrument for the job.

Eddie Van Halen Keyboard Tribute - 1984 & Jump

Does the world really need another 1984/Jump - Eddie Van Halen Keyboard Tribute? Clearly not. And yet, since 1984, I have been haunted by the quest to perfect these sounds. I have repeatedly tweaked these patches over the years, and only recently feel like I have something worthy of the original. All these years later, it"s remarkable how much fun it still is to play. The passing of Eddie prompted me revisit this, and I think the Prophet Rev2 is the perfect instrument for the job.

Nailed it! :thu:

It's one of those where when you don't hear Dave's voice come in, you're surprised. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Back at it with my second of three track releases/videos/podcasts before the end of the month. If you haven't tried watching these 360 videos on a phone in the YouTube app yet, it's a lot of fun to stand in one place and move your phone around like you're in the middle of the recording studio.

My wife wrote this tune, I play some white boy reggae organ and sing some of the backgrounds (and mixed the track). This one's a lot of fun... and no politics this time. :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

• 2 weeks later...