Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help with Apple Cinema Display

I have an old 30" Apple CInema display that I'd like to use with a newer computer. I hooked it up and it worked fine...but the resolution was a bit too low, so I tried 1080p. Now, I can't see anything on the display, even though it still appears in the Arrangement window on the main computer.

I've tried mirroring and setting the system to Home Theater - both of those light the Cinema Display up, but neither one gives me the opportunity to change the Cinema Display back when I turn the modes off.

I Svengled, but can't find a way to reset or change the resolution if I can't see it on the screen.

Any ideas?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DVI, with a USB C adaptor.

Hooking it up to another computer does work....but only for that computer. When I plug it back into the iMac, the problem is still there.

One other complication - I'm in the middle of a 600MB backup, and probably should not restart the iMac now.

dB

When you boot up the machine, hold down the Command, Option, P, and R keys simultaneously immediately after pressing the power button. This will reset the parameter RAM, where display resolutions are stored.

The machine will briefly light up its display and then cycle to reboot after a few seconds for as long as you keep holding that key combination.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I believe I have to use the USB C/Thunderbolt 3 port out of the iMac....and there's nothing to be suspicious of other than my bonehead user error. :doh:

It was working fine until I set it to a resolution it doesn't support, and I can make it work fine in other configurations.

To be clear, I have an iMac and want to use two other displays. They were all working fine until I configured the Apple Display incorrectly. As a matter of fact, if I disconnect the other aux monitor, the Cinema Display snaps on.

I think Sam's right - PRAM blast will do it when my big backup is finished.

dB

Also, when setting try 2560 x 1600.

It's a way old Cinema Display. 1280 x 800 is the highest it goes, apparently.

It's definitely 2560 x 1600, but the operating system may be guessing that it's a "retina" display and scaling everything 2x based on that erroneous assumption. When you do get the display options back up (and feel free to PM me if the PRAM reset approach doesn't work - I can probably dig up some other suggestions), try holding down the Option key while clicking on the Scaled radio button. This will force it to display additional alternatives that are normally hidden, likely including the native 2560 x 1600 resolution.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

One thing worth noting is that the 30' Cinema Display requires a dual-link DVI connection.

If you"re using a connector that doesn"t support dual-link, you are indeed limited to 1280 x 800 â exactly half of its actual supported resolution. If memory serves.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

One thing worth noting is that the 30' Cinema Display requires a dual-link DVI connection.

If you"re using a connector that doesn"t support dual-link, you are indeed limited to 1280 x 800 â exactly half of its actual supported resolution. If memory serves.

I think single-link DVI is maximum 1920x1200. I'm a little surprised that Dave couldn't get 1920x1080 out of it.

Cheers, Mike.

I think single-link DVI is maximum 1920x1200. I'm a little surprised that Dave couldn't get 1920x1080 out of it.

I seem to recall a phenomenon where using a single link would actually just power one half of the display.

It"s been many years, though, since I worked in Apple sales and support, so I may be misremembering.

The PRAM blast did not fix it.

If I set the systrem to mirror, all three show up and I can set the resolution for each one...but the Cinema Display snaps off the moment I turn Mirror off.

Same thing with Home Theater mode.

The Cinema Display works fine if I plug it into another Mac or if I disconnect the third monitor. I can set the resolution there...but the moment I set it to three screens, the Cinema Display turns off, and the power light starts blinking three times.

Ideas? Another question - normally when I set an unsupported resolution, the monitor kicks back to the last supported resolution. Would love to know why that didn't happen.

dB

Hi, Dave!

Assuming that you have one of the silver original Apple 30" Cinema Display monitors that has a Dual-Link DVI connection, the default resolution for that monitor when connected directly to a dual-link Apple-compatible DVI video card is 2560 x 1440. I had six of them here at work for a long time before time and slowly fading backlights eventually forced me to replace and upgrade them... They are very durable monitors with great color purity so If you are not running them professionally with excessive hours they are indeed a worthy prize , provided that you have a suitably compatible adapter. Apple used to make a Dual-Link to mini-Display port adapter but that is no longer in production. I did manage once to locate an alternate display adapter on Ebay.

PRAM only stores certain hardware based parameters for Macs. The DVI connector on these monitors are Dual-link and will require a suitable compatible adapter. A standard DVI port does not allow these monitors to properly sense resolution and will not display correctly. If you attempt to try to use these monitors connected to a single-link display adapter the image will look like you are missing scan lines and have reduced clarity.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Thx for the clarifications!

It actually looks okay in 1280 x 800. I'm using it as my third window, mainly to display plug-in processors and synths. It works great for that - I actually really like the magnification I get - getting old is so much fun - but I would love to get the 2560 x 1440 res.

Got a link to a Thunderbolt 3 adaptor which will do the trick?

dB

Hi, Dave!

I just found this adapter HERE which looks to be compatible with Apple Cinema Displays as long as HDCP support is off. The model without HDCP support is listed as compatible. Good Luck!

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Hi, Dave!

I just found this adapter HERE which looks to be compatible with Apple Cinema Displays as long as HDCP support is off. The model without HDCP support is listed as compatible. Good Luck!

Totally worked. :thu:

Thank you, brother!

dB

You are are totally welcome, brother Dave! The forum advice here has been invaluable in many decisions regarding my needs, so I am more than happy to return the favor whenever possible and to "pay it forward"!

Hi, Dave!

Totally worked. :thu:

Thank you, brother!

dB

Hmmm... good news on getting that going, gotta love the forum gang for getting answers!!!

Wasn't it just a few days ago that you declared your studio remodel "done?"

Seems like I had a somewhat annoying but insurmountably real response to that declaration... something about "never being done" perhaps? :laugh:

Even my friend who has an offline computer running the first version of Presonus Studio One still finds things that need done. An infinitely interesting and often satisfying rabbit hole indeed, no?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Oof, 1280 x 800, but glad it's working as a 3rd monitor.

The amount of screen size you get per dollar these days is just insane. For my birthday I decided to upgrade from an older 24" 1080p monitor that didn't look all that great compared to my macbook pro screen. Got a 4k 43" television for about $250, it had great reviews and a low input latency but I made a mistake--I only got one with HDMI. I tried a new adapter, new cables (premium high speed), but no matter what could not get 2k or 4k resolution at 60hz. 30hz is not really usable if you are using it for your main DAW screen. It looked fantastic though, I had Logic Pro in 43" with a zillion tracks....if anything it was TOO big, I couldn't take it all in at a glance even a couple feet back.

Anyway, I've since learned that HDMI is flaky--even with all the right connections and settings, it's hit-or-miss. I'm returning the tv and getting a 32" monitor that has a displayport on it, which lets me use a usb c to displayport cable and should just work. Should. I figure 2k (2560 rez) will be about right for that size so I didn't splurge for a 4k monitor.

I was honestly surprised at how clear and nice that tv looked. It basically looked like a huge version of my laptop's retina screen, or close to it. So tvs can work, just look out for the input latency (especially if doing any gaming) and I'd get one with a displayport as this seems better suited for higher resolutions than hdmi from what I've read.

Interesting results on the HDMI and 43" TV. I run a 32" Samsung TV with HDMI as a monitor on this computer, one connection to this HP Z220 workstation (with DisplayPort to HDMI on the computer end), other port to the MacBook Pro (with Mac to HDMI adapter). Both run at 1920x1080 at 60hz no problem. These were purchased before 4k, but give me a really great screen. Like a magnified version of the 15" MacBook screen. Or a magnified version of my HP Zbook 17 which has a 1920x1080 high end display. This MacBook is a 2011, so the screen resolution is only 1440x900, but the Thunderbolt output can go as high as 2560.

Also use a 55" Samsung in the Living Room at 1920x1080 for TV (connected to outside antenna), Cable box (connected HDMI) and a HP Z400 workstation (DisplayPort to HDMI on computer). That computer is Windows 8.1 Media Center and has two tuners for recording/playback of TV programs, plus I can use a browser to stream.

Have another 32" similar setup for my wife, and another in my shop. We have a 39" that is computer connected in the Dining Room, it is too big to use as a standard desktop, but works well for streaming video of our ballroom dance lessons.

Must admit that, at my age, even with the replacement lens in my eye, a 4 or 8K display probably would not look that much better to me, although I am up to 20/20 with glasses.

I ran into a situation with a commercial client where the HP Z monitors (which provide VGA, HDMI, and DisplayPort would not light up the screen connected to the Z240 computers when connected by an adapter and HDMI, had to order a cable with DisplayPort on both ends to make them work.

Someone gave me a used pair of Apple Cinema Displays which had a problem a while ago, they would not display. Worked on them, but didn't find a cure, so I junked them.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Got a 4k 43" television for about $250, it had great reviews and a low input latency but I made a mistake--I only got one with HDMI. I tried a new adapter, new cables (premium high speed), but no matter what could not get 2k or 4k resolution at 60hz.

Are you sure it wasn't a limitation on your computer (or whatever was driving the TV)? I had a laptop that could output DisplayPort at 4k, but HDMI at only 1080p. (It was the HDMI 1.2 protocol with Intel HD3000 built-in graphics, if I remember correctly. Bunch of crap in any event).

Cheers, Mike.

Got a 4k 43" television for about $250, it had great reviews and a low input latency but I made a mistake--I only got one with HDMI. I tried a new adapter, new cables (premium high speed), but no matter what could not get 2k or 4k resolution at 60hz.

Are you sure it wasn't a limitation on your computer (or whatever was driving the TV)? I had a laptop that could output DisplayPort at 4k, but HDMI at only 1080p. (It was the HDMI 1.2 protocol with Intel HD3000 built-in graphics, if I remember correctly. Bunch of crap in any event).

Cheers, Mike.

I'm not positive, but it's a 2016 macbook pro so I guess I gave it the benefit of the doubt. Definitely something in the chain was limiting it. I didn't have any other display beyond 1080p to troubleshoot on unfortunately.

I was able to get 2k finally with a new usb-c to hdmi adapter, but only at "low resolution". Which honestly didn't look all that terrible, but you'd notice it on text.

anyway, I'm waiting on the monitor to arrive, I have my usb-c to displayport cable ready! Not 4k, but it's 32" so that would be too tiny anyway.