Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai MP11SE and Roland DP10 - Continuous vs On-Off

I'm playing on a Kawai MP11SE. Love the keyboard, the pedal not so much. I bought a new Roland DP10 which I'm used to. For Sustain, I have it set to Switch which is an on/off. If I set it to Continuous, the Sustain no longer works.

Anyone know how to get the sustain to work on the Kawai when the DP10 is set to Continuous?

At the moment, I have the DP10 set to Switch and Kawai set to CC64 under Control (Right Pedal).

Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck. My Kawai pieces are older generations. (MP5 and Mp8ii)

I have never had any luck with Kawai pedals and Kawai pedal I/O working with other brands" stuff. They used to be non interchangeable and totally proprietary. Or .... more likely I"m too dumb to make stuff work.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I"d contact Kawai or Kraft if that is where you got it. It"s support half dampening. 0-127 is the default and you can adjust that to be top or bottom sensitive. But if it like past Kawai it"s proprietary. You have to use their pedal.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I may have figured it out. Setting the switch on the DP10 to Continuous and plugging it into the MP11SE Expression port and setting it to CC#64. Pro Tools is now able to read 1-127 continuous.

Hey Imagine-

The Kawai right pedal is a half damper continuous type pedal which generates a range of values used for half pedaling, offsetting the on/off threshold etc. Since the TRS jack is shared with the sustenuto pedal it is configured different from a typical expression type pedal. The 5V power is supplied to the pedal potentiometer but not through the TRS connector. In other words it's configured as a self powered pedal like those needed for minimoogs and such. This is how they they can accommodate 2 pedals with one TRS jack. It makes sense to me that your DP-10 will not work in the sustain/sustenuto jack.

The expression pedal jack will work with the DP-10 (as you've seen). You'll have to assign the expression pedal to damper or cc64 (sorry, p48 of the manual is unclear on the choices). I'm just not sure if it will respond to the full range of values or just behave as an on/off.

Hope this helps.

Hi Markyboard,

Thanks for the info. It seems I'm able to get full range (1-127) when I start playing, but when I'm not sustaining, the pedal doesn't go back to 1. It stays at 12 as shown in the pic.

Is this normal and any thoughts as to why this might be happening?

Thanks!

1331.thumb.png.bdca865325e53d44b76f0b62e8da122f.png

Hmmm, not sure. Please confirm it's the DP-10 connected to the expression input? Have you tried the polarity inverse parameter? These often just reverse the data direction and not the actual selection of tip vs ring on the connector. Still worth a shot. If you have another expression pedal it would be good to try it out and see what values are being generated.

It's possible that your DP-10 pedals full off position(all the way up) is generating an offset voltage. If this is the case there is a calibration routine documented in the manual and perhaps you should just try this first.

The DP10 is connected to the EXP input, and the Kawai EXP Type switch on the back is set to TIP. If I set it to RING, I get a reverse polarity (sustain is all the way up).

I'll see what the manual has to say about offset voltage and calibration.

Thanks!

Half Adjust didn't do anything, although I did find this info in the manual. Pic attached.

Calibrating the EXP pedal. I'm not using a EXP pedal but a sustain pedal. Do you think calibrating the DP10 might work?

Thanks again!

1332.thumb.png.c5d206cd55bec188afcadb358040facf.png

Half Adjust didn't do anything, although I did find this info in the manual. Pic attached.

Calibrating the EXP pedal. I'm not using a EXP pedal but a sustain pedal. Do you think calibrating the DP10 might work?

Thanks again!

Yes - electronically the DP10 being a continuous type sustain pedal is the same as an expression pedal. The physical properties, form/function are obviously different. Definitely do the calibration.

Btw...

The DP10 is connected to the EXP input, and the Kawai EXP Type switch on the back is set to TIP. If I set it to RING, I get a reverse polarity (sustain is all the way up).

Thanks!

I missed that it's a real physical switch on the back. Obviously not the issue but still a great feature to have on a keyboard. Best to set it back to Tip prior to calibration.

Hello Imagine,

Sorry for my slow response - I was on holiday last week.

Anyway, glad to read that connecting the DP10 to the EXP connector (with the correct ring/tip configuration) did the trick, and that the pedal calibration setting allowed the full range of values to be sent.

Just to pick-up on a comment from Markyboard:

The Kawai right pedal is a half damper continuous type pedal which generates a range of values used for half pedaling, offsetting the on/off threshold etc. Since the TRS jack is shared with the sustenuto pedal it is configured different from a typical expression type pedal. The 5V power is supplied to the pedal potentiometer but not through the TRS connector. In other words it's configured as a self powered pedal like those needed for minimoogs and such. This is how they they can accommodate 2 pedals with one TRS jack. It makes sense to me that your DP-10 will not work in the sustain/sustenuto jack.

This used to be the case for older wooden key MPs (MP8, MP10, MP11 [non-SE]) that included a Fatar double/triple pedal unit. However, starting with the MP11SE, we include a new GFP-3 triple pedal unit produced by Kawai R&D, which uses a single DIN connector. The same connector is also present on the MP7SE, however this instrument includes the F-10H single pedal (also produced by Kawai).

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Just to pick-up on a comment from Markyboard:

This used to be the case for older wooden key MPs (MP8, MP10, MP11 [non-SE]) that included a Fatar double/triple pedal unit. However, starting with the MP11SE, we include a new GFP-3 triple pedal unit produced by Kawai R&D, which uses a DIN connector. The same connector is also present on the MP7SE, however this instrument includes the F-10H single pedal (also produced by Kawai).

Kind regards,

James

x

Sure enough I pulled up the older MP11 manual :facepalm:

Thanks for the correction and clarification James. :2thu: