Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Samson products - any good?

I'm looking to get a headset mic (DE60X) but have never bought Samson before. Has anyone here used Samson gear and if so, would be kind enough to share your experiences?

Thanks

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago I purchased a Samson Airline wireless mic adapter. A small barrel plugged into any handheld mic and the receiver is about the size of a deck of cards. Still have it and it still works perfectly. It came with a free microphone, a Samson Q7. Didn't even bother plugging it in until my regular vocal mic, an AKG had some issues. Turns out the Q7 sounds great. I still use it. I also have a Samson wireless guitar system for my H44 Melodion which again does a fine job. Finally I needed a small self-powered speaker for background music during set-up at some retirement home gigs and bought a Samson Expedition Escape Plus which runs from a rechargeable battery. Sounds very good plus it has Bluetooth so I set it down on the ground, launch the music app on my phone, no wires or power cord needed.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Audio recorders H4N, video recorders Q3 and Q3N, and now Q2N, and an L-12 Live Trak recorder all still work and no glitches. Quality stuff at decent prices.

I vouch for their products.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I don't have any first-hand experience, but I was going to get a Samson line mixer after researching and hearing about others' success with it. I ended up getting a key largo because I needed a good DI as well. This was one of the forums that I researched so you might get some response about that mixer! (sm 10 I think it is.)

Audio recorders H4N, video recorders Q3 and Q3N, and now Q2N, and an L-12 Live Trak recorder all still work and no glitches. Quality stuff at decent prices.

Jake

Those are Zoom products, not Samson. I have a few of those and love them all. Zoom makes great equipment. Samson makes very good equipment.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

I've had a Samson SM10 rackmount line mixer for a few years. It does what it should with no problems. No complaints here.

I got one for use in a portable Ableton Link demo rig; when I stopped doing demos with that big rig, I brought it into my studio. After my mixer blew up, I pressed it into temporary service as a quick line mixer for all my keys, and to my astonishment, it sounds really good and has a whole lot of cool interface options.

I had a Graphite 49 for years, and not just because they consulted me on some design features. Still the best 49-key synth action USB controller for the money by a very long margin.

I have a Meteor Mic that has been going gangbusters as my computer mic for years, and often get compliments about my voice quality. I've used it for radio broadcasts in a pinch and folks have said it's just fine, although not as good as my real mics.

I could go on.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I use a samson stereo DI live. Never let me down, and sounds good enough for live! Also sometimes used higher end ones (radial etc) but I honestly don"t think I can tell the difference in a live band mix.

Rudy

Wow! very impressive - not one "con" yet... I was looking at the Neatron NHS7770 (as it had a longer boom arm) but after all the positive comments here, I might stump up the extra $120 to go for the Samson.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Had a Samson 49 key MIDI controller. Liked it, but my grand-daughter needed a controller. Replaced it with a 61 key. Not all the bells & whistles of some controllers, but does what I need, and build quality seems fine.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Had a Samson 49 key MIDI controller. Liked it, but my grand-daughter needed a controller. Replaced it with a 61 key. Not all the bells & whistles of some controllers, but does what I need, and build quality seems fine.

Likewise. That's the Carbon, the smaller sibling to their more DAW-friendly Graphite. Its very basic & clearly no Kawai VP controller, but mine still delivers the goods. The keys are understandably plastic-y for the $100 price, but its a much more inviting tool than a lot of mini-key options. There's an iPad slot built into the case, which gives you an idea of its basic target buyer. Glad to have it.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Jake

Those are Zoom products, not Samson. I have a few of those and love them all. Zoom makes great equipment. Samson makes very good equipment.

I stand corrected.. They came from Sam Ash and I committed a brain fart.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I also have an SM10 mixer that I used in my live rig when I played out. Served me well for 8+ years - still have it.

I have a Samson stereo/120 watts a side power amp that has to be 30 years old. It helped fill my backyard with music this past weekend.

I worked in a music store in NJ in the early 80s. The owner refused to carry Samson products, thinking he was helping a competitor. Had to change his mind when their wireless products (instrument & mic) sort of took over that whole market.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I've been using their wireless unit for a few years without a problem and I can totally rely on it. When I first bought it I called customer service to get help with setting the channel frequency, and I remember they were professionnal and efficient.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

I have 2 Samson wireless sax mic transmitters & receivers. The first one I had for many years, took a lot of punishment and gigs and always worked fine. I finally had to replace it because the frequency it used became illegal. (If the local Sheriff was patrolling in a car outside the venue, the radio would send a blast of white noise to the receiver and then to my powered speakers. This usually happened at the high point of my sax solo.) I replaced that mic - it still works - with a newer model that allows me to select channels/frequencies. It has worked fine through many gigs up until, of course, this virus hit. Now, because it's been months with no gigs or rehearsals, my hands don't work very well, but I assume the Samson wireless mic is still fine.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

My favorite knock-around headphones are the Samson SR850s; one of my surprisingly best audio purchases ever. They"ve taken a serious beating over 4-5 years and are still going like champs. I own 3 pairs of better and more expensive headphones, but the SR850s are like a comfortable pair of old jeans, and I always reach for them first.

At US$30, they"re good for all kinds of non-polite music activities. At 32 ohms, almost anything can drive them. And most importantly they fit comfortably on my big fat head :laugh:

I"ve always been kind of surprised at the praise for the Graphite 49.

I have one and although the keyboard feel is nice and playable (and very noisy) and it has aftertouch (rare), the build quality is very flimsy. It didn"t take long for it to break somewhat after purchase. I still have it since 49 is the perfect size for a DAW setup with limited space, and it"s very light and portable, but I"m looking for alternatives.

I also never got any of the DAW features to work. It"s supposed to have multiple presets for most DAWs, but apart from maybe the transport, they never worked properly despite trying a Mackie protocol etc.

I bought the SM10 line mixer a few months ago, and it seems ok. People say it"s one if the 'cleanest' of its kind (no unwanted additional noise). It does have some annoyances like a loud pop when powered on (yeah monitors are supposed to be off anyway but accidents happen).