Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cable thread

Just wondering if anyone out there has any recommendations on a budget friendly brand of auxiliary cable. Looking at getting some balanced XLR to 1/4 inch balanced cables for my little home studio. Any brands I need to avoid?

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in Bellingham but I do check the Seattle craiglist sometimes.

Go to musical instruments and in the search box at the top try "cord" and "cable"

This one is 5 days old, found it with the "cable" search - https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/d/seattle-mic-cables-guitar-cables/7118872712.html

There will be more, Seattle craigslist is very active and moves quickly. Keep your eye on it, respond quickly and make any offers when you contact rather than when you arrive at the location.

Can you solder? If you have a small soldering set-up you can often convert cables to your specific use. Very valuable skill for any musician using electronics.

All of our local thrift stores are closed now, yours too probaby. I have some high quality mic and line cables that I've found in the electronics, there is usually a "spaghetti bomb" bin with all sorts of stuff in it. Dimes on the dollar, truly.

Seek out high quality used connectors and cables and soon you will have more than you need. Look for metal connectors - Switchcraft, Neutrik and Amphenol are all quality connectors. Belden, Mogami, Monster all make quality audio cable. Sometimes you can mix and match, cut one XLR off a cable and solder on a 1/4" TRS plug.

If you are buying new, good stuff can get expensive unless there is a sale.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks for the thoughtful recommendations. I was probably going to order something on line as opposed to the used market. Sorry I didn't mention that before.

Also, I wish I knew how to solder. That would be a useful skill to have!

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

Soldering is not difficult and basic equipment is not expensive. There are probably tutorials on YouTube.

Note that i did mention quality connectors and cabling, good cables will use good components.

Budget cables may be fine for home use, I haven't had a great track record with them lasting as long as quality cablies.

It's a variable, something you have to decide for yourself and sometimes we find things out the hard way. I've had cheap guitar cables with plastic ends and cheap wire get noisy and sputter when moved in just a few months. I have some guitar cables that are well over 10 years old and still going strong.

It may seem like a place to cut corners and it can be, sometimes. When it isn't, go quality and pay once. Cheers, Kuru

That is more difficult since I have almost entirely used cabling and it didn't come with packaging.

That said, I've consistenly gotten excellent service from Sweetwater and I am sure they can make good recommendations for you.

The only cable I've ever bought from them was a demo - an Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable. It works fine.

For new gear, they will be my vendor of choice for online purchases. I have no affiliation and pay their posted prices. I simply appreciate good service, knowledgeable staff and a large inventory.

Here is their cable selector page, hope you find it helpful! https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/cables/finder.php

Mogami is what I use and recommend..it's not necessarily cheap, but, and jmo, it's not that expensive either for a premium cable. Coupled with Neutrik connectors you can't go wrong!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I now use Redco when I need cables--specifically their custom cable wizard where you pick every aspect of the cable from type of cable itself, to length to connector type etc.

You'd think that would cost a lot more but it doesn't. I needed two 5 foot unbalanced cables with right-angle connectors on only one side, good luck finding that off the shelf!

Anyway, Mogami is one of the cable options, I usually go with the Redco "house brand" due to others recommending it as just fine. My cables are for live anyway so not quite as critical. For connectors I generally go with Switchcraft...you can choose Neutrik and others as well. For a studio cable that isn't going to be plugged/unplugged constantly then I wouldn't think the connector is critical--the reason to use better connectors I've usually heard is that they last, not any kind of audio advantage.

I now use Redco when I need cables--specifically their custom cable wizard where you pick every aspect of the cable from type of cable itself, to length to connector type etc.

Anyway, Mogami is one of the cable options, I usually go with the Redco "house brand" due to others recommending it as just fine. My cables are for live anyway so not quite as critical. For connectors I generally go with Switchcraft...you can choose Neutrik and others as well. .

Just wanted to jump in to concur.

Redco has made two snakes for me. One is now 9 years old, and the other is 7 years old. I used the Redco "house brand" with a variety of connectors for my rig. They are still trouble free after all this time.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I always use Audiopile.com. Owners Mark and Liz are great people and easy to work with. They are online and located in Farmington, WA.

Thanks for the info on this company, Jim.

FYI their website is a .net, not .com

Audiopile

Oops, brain far*. Btw, I have used Redco for custom work, and you are right, they are the bomb.Audiopile is great for cables and adapters, ready made, and reasonably priced. I have many of all types for my PA and keyboards. Thanks!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

I got really cheap for a stretch and got a bunch of monoprice cables (which now can be bought via Amazon as well). Oddly the 1/4" cables have not fared well, but I have several of their mic cables that have withstood seven years of gigging so far. I don't like how thick and heavy they are though and that was one reason I started going to redco. I wouldn't personally go used, as cables can have wear and tear on them (again, studio use where they stay plugged in is a different thing from live.) Studio cables I'd look at the cost averaged over all the likely years I'll be using them, it's a nice rationalization technique I've perfected that helps me spend more money :D My wife is completely immune to this approach unfortunately....